2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Two separate concepts, not related in any way. You brought up leaving a movie with 5 minutes left and I commented on the idea of leaving a movie early.

It was assumed the movie was good aka the playoffs

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
It was assumed the movie was good aka the playoffs

I wouldn't walk out of a movie I was enjoying, but to make that connection, I haven't found these playoffs to be all that good.

s*** officiating, gooning at a high level, teams I don't like beating teams I do like.

Not my cup of tea at all, thus the indifference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
Marty has been so incredible for so long, and you never hear about him doing anything but winning hockey games.

I think if I had to choose I'd prefer the team that's never won it to get the Cup before Marty getting a fourth but he does seem like a good guy and he's been terrific for a long long time. No problem with him winning it, if that's how it shakes out.

The Devils don't seem to have any real assholes on the team, so it would be fine if they won, I suppose. Better than the Rangers, that's for sure.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Both teams are playing really good hockey. Just because they aren't "name" teams, that means you wouldn't tune in? That's something a non-hockey fan would say.

Also, if you're a fan of the NHL (or any sport for that matter), I don't know how you don't watch the championship series for that given sport.

Sorry Commish. Please send me the address where I should mail in my NHL fan card, I obviously don't deserve one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
Sorry Commish. Please send me the address where I should mail in my NHL fan card, I obviously don't deserve one.

Correct. If you have ZERO interest in the Stanley Cup Finals, you can't call yourself an NHL fan.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:39 AM)
Correct. If you have ZERO interest in the Stanley Cup Finals, you can't call yourself an NHL fan.

That's ridiculous. I won't watch the World Series or NBA Finals if I'm not intrigued by the match-up, that means I'm not a fan of the MLB or NBA?

Unless you're arguing that ZERO means absolutely won't watch + no interest in scores/results/winner, in which case I'd probably agree. Thought I'm surprised you said "Stanley Cup Finals".

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:39 AM)

I have still yet to see anyone in this thread say they have zero interest Captain.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 28, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
I don't understand how you can consider yourself a fan of the league/sport and then just not care about the most important 4-7 games of the entire season. Doesn't follow.

I'm a hockey fan, but I'd rather watch the hot White Sox right now than the Stanley Cup Finals. Call me crazy for not caring if the Kings or Devils win the Cup.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670

Hawks re-sign Mayers (1 year) and Oduya (3 years) to new contracts today.

Despite his s***ty series vs Phoenix, I'm very glad Oduya is back. Although that probably eats up most of the remaining cap space, his old contract was for $3.5 million

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Despite his s***ty series vs Phoenix, I'm very glad Oduya is back. Although that probably eats up most of the remaining cap space, his old contract was for $3.5 million

Why?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
$3.375 cap hit for Oduya. Unless someone gets traded, no room for any other big FA signing

And 3.375. Brutal on top of it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)

He's probably better than what was available on the market for that cap hit unfortunately.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Committed Indians

Bowman told media the organization has spoken w/ Kane about Cinco de Mayo and that he knows how disappointed they are. Left it at that.

Bernstein says the organization has reached out to his parents to help get him under control, and his dad is an ass and loves his drink just as much as Kane and has no desire to slow Kane down.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Bernstein says the organization has reached out to his parents to help get him under control, and his dad is an ass and loves his drink just as much as Kane and has no desire to slow Kane down.

He's just a college kid! It's no problem! DRINK DRINK DRINK

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

Well this means one thing, Joe now has to go down to the UC and tell the organization how unreasonable they are being, as he's only a kid.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Wow Oduya for that money?? WTF are they thinking?

Someone here was on Bowman's nuts as a GM. Can't remember... (Rock?) I still think he is terrible. Only time will tell on his drafting and what leaks out who was responsible for who. (I.E. Shaw being a Bergevin pick/plea etc.) Unless he really makes noise July 1st, he and McDouche (who hired an accountant to make hockey decisions) are gonna get alot of criticism.

Edited by SoxAce

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12853372-41...-seek-help.html

In the days after pictures of Patrick Kane partying in Madison, Wis., went viral on the Internet this month, the Blackhawks remained suspiciously quiet.

Behind the scenes, however, sources say the team continued to preach restraint with one of its most important players.

On Tuesday, the Hawks made their first public comments about the embarrassing episode during a conference call with general manager Stan Bowman to announce the re-signing of Jamal Mayers and Johnny Oduya.

“We are aware of that situation,” Bowman said when asked by the Sun-Times about Kane. “We followed it closely. It was one of those things where we’ve discussed it with Patrick. We’ve handled that internally.

“We’re obviously disappointed with how it played it out, and Patrick is aware of that fact. But at this point, it’s a private matter. I think, out of respect for Patrick, we’re not going to comment further. We’re going to look forward and try to focus on things in improving our team leading into the summer.”

But the Hawks are more than just disappointed in Kane. A team source told the Sun-Times that some in the organization have suggested that Kane seek help.

“He’s obviously got some issues,” the source said. “How many more times can these things happen? It’s a much bigger thing than some photographs in a 48-hour window.”

It was the last thing the Hawks wanted to see to kick off their offseason — which was already going to be tumultuous.

Kane was photographed numerous times during a trip to Madison when he took part in the Mifflin Street Block Party for Cinco de Mayo.

There were pictures of Kane lying on the ground littered with empty beer cans, one with his head down on a bar and another showing a police officer shadowing him. And then came the series of unconfirmed allegations made on Deadspin.com by anonymous people.

This isn’t the first time Kane’s off-ice behavior has concerned the Hawks.

Kane’s actions and how the organization responds to them can be telling.

“Other players look at how they handle a situation like this,” the source said.

Unlike 2009, when he was arrested in Buffalo for the cabdriver incident, or 2010, when he was photographed without his shirt in a Vancouver limousine, or even those instances in Chicago bars that resulted in him being put on YouTube, Kane, 23, is at a pivotal point in his career.

He just finished his fifth season in the NHL and had his worst offensive output, a career-low 66 points.

Kane deserves credit for handling center, playing with a surgically repaired wrist and stepping up in Jonathan Toews’ absence, but more was expected. Just when it looked like he took a step forward with his maturity, he fell back.

He said on April 25 that he decided against playing for Team USA during this year’s world championships because he was finally healthy and wanted to maintain his fitness. It was a move many insiders looked at skeptically.

A little more than a week later, Kane visited Madison while the tournament went on. Meanwhile, Hawks teammates — notably standouts Duncan Keith and Patrick Sharp — were playing for their countries.

“When is [Kane] going to learn?” another team source said.

As much as Kane is respected for his affability and admired for his hockey skills, he also has gained a reputation as one of the NHL’s biggest partiers.

The nighttime exploits of players have been big story lines this postseason.

Predators forwards Alex Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn stayed out late the night before Game 2 of their second-round series against the Coyotes, were benched for Game 3, became a major distraction for the team and were ultimately cited as one of the reasons for Nashville’s demise.

On the other hand, former Flyers forwards Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, reputed partiers in Philadelphia, have helped take the Kings to the Stanley Cup finals after being traded away.

Kane has three years left on a contract that carries a $6.3 million cap hit.

“[Kane] has teased and pleased all of us with his talent,” longtime NHL goalie and former Hawk Marty Turco said. “Not many possess his skill set. He has handled success at an early age decently with all things considered.

“What happens from here on out will determine his legacy. There comes a time to take personal ownership of your career and how it’s played out. P. Kane’s time is now.”

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
Someone here was on Bowman's nuts as a GM. Can't remember... (Rock?) I still think he is terrible. Only time will tell on his drafting and what leaks out who was responsible for who. (I.E. Shaw being a Bergevin pick/plea etc.) Unless he really makes noise July 1st, he and McDouche (who hired an accountant to make hockey decisions) are gonna get alot of criticism.

I called for his firing this season. Rock is the ever optimist, so I would imagine that was him.

But the Hawks are more than just disappointed in Kane. A team source told the Sun-Times that some in the organization have suggested that Kane seek help.

“He’s obviously got some issues,” the source said. “How many more times can these things happen? It’s a much bigger thing than some photographs in a 48-hour window.”

Yup. Just a college kid doing college things. No big deal.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Wow Oduya for that money?? WTF are they thinking?

I liked what Oduya after the trade in the regular season, so I can look past his playoff performance. But considering their cap issues, giving him 3.375 is way too much.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
I liked what Oduya after the trade in the regular season, so I can look past his playoff performance. But considering their cap issues, giving him 3.375 is way too much.

They pretty much have to trade someone with a big cap number. Could there be a reason they Hawks have been very quiet regarding Mr. Kane?