2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
I called for his firing this season. Rock is the ever optimist, so I would imagine that was him.

LOL, if posting actual facts about the team's performance with no rebuttal from anyone is being "on his nuts" then yes it was me. Not alot of team fire a GM who wins a cup in his first season and then sees his team make the playoffs every year after that. I also pointed out how the Hawks are right within the norm performance-wise of the last ten teams seasons after they won the cup.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)

I'm actually surprised you linked a acticle written by a "tabloid" in your words.

The only statement/facts in that article was this:

“We are aware of that situation,” Bowman said when asked by the Sun-Times about Kane. “We followed it closely. It was one of those things where we’ve discussed it with Patrick. We’ve handled that internally.

“We’re obviously disappointed with how it played it out, and Patrick is aware of that fact. But at this point, it’s a private matter. I think, out of respect for Patrick, we’re not going to comment further. We’re going to look forward and try to focus on things in improving our team leading into the summer.”

The rest is from a "source" aka conjecture. It's pretty obvious to me they are shopping him which is why they didnt say anything more than 2 sentences. I believe his cap hit is almost 7 million, we could do alot with that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
GM who wins a cup in his first season and then sees his team make the playoffs every year after that.

Come on - that was obviously Dale Tallon's team. Name one acquisition that Bowman has made that worked out so far?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Come on - that was obviously Dale Tallon's team. Name one acquisition that Bowman has made that worked out so far?

Can I quote myself?

As far as players that will contribute, Stan's biggest push has been towards building a farm system for this team, his draft picks have been pretty damn good. In the 2011 draft alone he took 2 players that CONTRIBUTED for the blackhawks this season in Saad and Andrew Shaw. AS far as team contributions over the years that he has brought in via trade after being forced to unload half the roster after the cup, you have Leddy, Boynton, Stalberg, Morin, Hayes, Frolik, Campoli (for a short time), Oduya.

His drafts so far have been pretty good and should pay off even more this year. I've also shown that the Hawks are right in line in their two seasons after winning the cup compared to the last 10 stanley cup winners. Not sure what else I can show to make a hater not hate someone. Just like there is no way anyone can convince me that keeping Seabrook is good for this team.

Its been two seasons since we've won the cup, so lets take a look at some recent cup winners and what they did the two seasons after winning:

Avs, 99 and 105 points

Wings, 110, 109

NJ 100, 101

TB 92, 93

Car 88, 92

Ducks 102, 91

Det 112, 102

PIT, 101, 106

Chi 97, 101

Edited by RockRaines

Its been two seasons since we've won the cup, so lets take a look at some recent cup winners and what they did the two seasons after winning:

Avs, 99 and 105 points

Wings, 110, 109

NJ 100, 101

TB 92, 93

Car 88, 92

Ducks 102, 91

Det 112, 102

PIT, 101, 106

Chi 97, 101

Your numbers are f***ed, because the NHL's points system changed greatly. The numbers prior to the Ducks can be thrown out, because at that point there were no points awarded for overtime losses and there were also no shootouts which guarantee 2 points will be awarded at the end of each game.

What I see there, is the Hawks have been the worst performing post-Cup team in the current NHL point structure.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Well now thats too much work to go back and check.

Steve, check your PM for more important stuff.

And if Bowman trades Seabrook he will have my undying support.

Yeah, trading Seabrook and Kaner would be pretty legit. The return is key.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
But the Hawks are more than just disappointed in Kane. A team source told the Sun-Times that some in the organization have suggested that Kane seek help.

“He’s obviously got some issues,” the source said. “How many more times can these things happen? It’s a much bigger thing than some photographs in a 48-hour window.”

Yup. Just a college kid doing college things. No big deal.

No one in the Hawks front office knows what college is like.

I'm sure Joe is there now spreading the word about how it works.

Even though, you know, Kane isn't in college.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Nicklas Lidstrom to retire today. Other than the sweater he wore, can't really say anything bad about him. 2010-11 was the only minus season he had in 20 seasons, and that was only -2.

Between him and Steve Y they have given the hockey world two of the best captains in the last many years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...story?track=rss

Sports Xchange

9:38 p.m. CDT, May 31, 2012

Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is considering taking next season off, ESPN.com reported Thursday, based on a source.

Thomas, 38, has one year remaining on a contract that pays him $3 million, although his cap hit is $5 million.

His no-trade clause expires on July 1.

The Bruins may be open to trade offers because they have a possible No. 1 goalie in Tuukka Rask.

Thomas had a 2.36 goals-against average this season.

He was the MVP of the playoffs in 2011, when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.

This series was over when Carter netted the game winner in OT in game 2. But LA is just playing phenomenal hockey right now from Quick on out. Their depth at forward is phenomenal, they have the role players doing exactly what they need to be doing on the bottom half.

It's great the Hawks won the Cup for many reasons, but it's going to make me more calm watching every Cup Final the rest of my life. This is the first year of the "calm." Last year Boston and Vancouver are legit hockey towns and fans, so no issues there with them being in it.

This year the Kings are going to take it down, in a town that barely knows it has a hockey team. Previous to 2010, this s*** used to piss me right off. Fans that have not put in any sort of dues to get there. Hey Colorado, here's a transplanted hockey team for you, you can get a Cup right away and just be spoiled as hell. Tampa Bay...oh hey there's ice in this building and it's hot outside let's go cool off and oh hey we won the silver thing how fun! Anaheim...we had the movie and now we have the professional equivalent of the little Ducks after all of our long years of suffering through s***ty teams! Carolina...these white towels are fun, and we have this hurricane siren we play, woo we won the Cup, we so deserved this! Those were 3 consecutive years (separated by the lockout) that just made me feel like there was no justice in the hockey world.

Then you've got Hawks fans who have been suffering since '61 (not me, but a lot of others), or even me or a Steve40593458034 who's been legitimately following for over 20 years and you have these assclown fans getting Cups.

Now? Totally cool with it. Have your fun LA, everyone who's somebody will be there Wednesday, I hope you have a blast. Without 2010 I'd be raging again because it would be just pure bulls***, just not fair at all.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Still asking for a login.

WTF? When I click on the link, I get the same login problem too. But if I copy & paste the URL into my address bar, it works?

I definitely don't have a NYTimes account, I don't know what the deal is, oops.

Edited by LittleHurt05