OilCan

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/m..._addison00.html

Height / Weight:

6-3 / 215

Position:

RHP

Birthdate:

12/27/1988

Preseason 2010 consensus All-American as a relief pitcher ... Named the 2009 National Stopper of the Year by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) after leading the nation in saves ... Named a first team All-American in 2009 by Collegiate Baseball, Rivals.com, NCBWA and Ping! Baseball ... Right-handed hurler who moved into the role of closer during his freshman season of 2007 ... Was primarily a first baseman as a prep athlete, compiling impressive offensive numbers ... An Area Code games participant during summer 2006 ... Also recruited by Michigan, Hawai'i and UC Irvine

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id...tent_id=7334895

Scouting Report

Fastball: Adjusting to a starting role, Reed was throwing his fastball in the 89-92 mph range. When he closed, he was up as high as 96 mph.

Fastball movement: He has some arm-side run, but it's below-average and isn't a big part of his game.

Slider: This has been a plus pitch in the past; it was average in this outing, but he's settled in nicely to throwing it consistently.

Changeup: This was a good pitch with sink. He throws it hard and for strikes.

Control: He's locating his pitches surprisingly well, especially his fastball.

Poise: He's still aggressive but has learned to pace himself as a starter.

Physical Description: Reed is big and strong, with broad shoulders and a strong lower half.

Medical Update: He broke the pinky on his throwing hand reaching for a comebacker. He should be back by mid-to-late April.

Strengths: He has made a nice transition to starting and shows ability to command three pitches fairly well.

Weaknesses: He does throw across his body a bit, though it's with low effort. He doesn't have a long track record as a starter.

Summary: Heading into the spring, the thought was that Reed would be one of the more sought-after college relievers in the class, but the San Diego State product was stretched out over the winter in order to be the team's Friday starter. He has performed even better than most could have expected, showing the ability to throw three pitches and adjusting easily to the role. A broken pinky on his pitching hand slowed him down for a few weeks, but presuming he picks up where he left off, Reed is likely a college arm moving up draft boards everywhere.

Edited by OilCan

2010 MLB First Player Draft - 95th overall, 3rd round.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...-95th-pick.html

2011 Future Sox prospect rankings:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...t-rankings.html

Addison Reed made a couple top fives which surprised me.

Links of Reed's meteoric rise through the minors this year:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...dison-reed.html

Where does this leave Reed with room for improvement and growth? The answer is within his R.R.A (Relief Run Average) - a statistic designed to measure a pitcher's ability to prevent inherited runners from scoring. Throughout his professional career (33G, including 2 starts with Great Falls in 2010), Reed has never inherited a runner. Upon most occasions, the White Sox use Reed in what appear to be "scheduled outings" in which he goes 2 innings regardless of the situation at the beginning of an inning. Addison has only finished 5 games on the season (1 in Kannapolis and 4 in Winston-Salem) and has 2 saves in his career. (2010: 1 in Great Falls, 2011: 1 in Winston-Salem)

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...oted-to-aa.html

In a move that I mentioned as a possibility in yesterday's Hot and Cold, reliever Addison Reed has been promoted to AA Birmingham today. It's Reed's second promotion of the season. The right-hander dominated both A ball stops this year in what is his first full season of pro ball.
Edited by OilCan

Newspaper article on Reed's debut at AA Birmingham:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06...ahead_in_s.html

Both were promoted Saturday from Class A Winston-Salem. Doyle flew to Birmingham after waking up at 11 a.m. and playing video games. Reed woke up at 6 a.m. and drove for seven hours on an estimated two hours of sleep.

There were no lingering effects Sunday. Doyle (1-1) allowed five hits over six shutout innings. Reed followed with two scoreless innings before Johnnie Lowe closed out the Barons' 10th win in 12 games.

"They both did a great job," manager Bobby Magallanes said. "Doyle, what can I say? He did a good job pitching inside, commanding his pitches. And Reed, that was impressive. I liked what I saw. He was as advertised -- power stuff, good to see."

Man, I really wish Reed was still starting. He looks like he has overpowering stuff. Sounds like if he can just learn 1 more pitch, and get it to a respectable level, it seems he SHOULD be able to start. Doesn't he have 2 plus pitches with 1 decent one? He should be able to get by with 2 plus and 2 decent pitches, I would think.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
Man, I really wish Reed was still starting. He looks like he has overpowering stuff. Sounds like if he can just learn 1 more pitch, and get it to a respectable level, it seems he SHOULD be able to start. Doesn't he have 2 plus pitches with 1 decent one? He should be able to get by with 2 plus and 2 decent pitches, I would think.

His fastball wasn't high 90s as a starter and likely wouldn't be if he went back to starting. At this point the guy is near a lock to be a decent Major League reliever. I've read varying things about his change, but that would be the pitch that makes him a starter. Generally though, guys with plus fastballs and plus sliders are used as relievers.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
Looks like Addison Reed has been promoted to AAA Charlotte as of today.

Great. Can't wait to see the kid. ~5 weeks likely if he continues awesomeness.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Mr. Sickles!

***and thank you to MaggsMaggs for finding this yesterday***

Reed threw 88-92 MPH last year when used as a starter for the Aztecs, but in the bullpen he threw 91-95 MPH in the Pioneer League and has been a tick higher this year, in the 94-97 range. He has outstanding command of the fastball, and mixes it with a superb slider, one of the best breaking pitches in the minors. His changeup is inconsistent, but in the bullpen the fastball/slider combination has been enough for him to dominate. His ratios have remained excellent at every level, with no deterioration in his K/BB or K/IP ratios. Although Reed has saved just three games this year, he has the command, stuff, and mound presence to close games.

Rumors from Chicago indicate that Reed is on the fast track and he could see the majors in September, just over one year after being drafted. Even if that doesn't pan out, we should see him in the majors sometime in 2012.

Edited by OilCan

• 2 months later...

Stick Tap to Bucket of Suck for this post.

http://ow.ly/7adVk

Reed rises from low levels to Majors

White Sox right-hander earns MiLBY as Best Overall Reliever

"I thought that I had a chance to maybe make it up to Double-A, and then every time I got moved up, I made it a personal goal to not go backwards and to go forwards," Reed said. "I got up to Double-A and once I got there, I just kept doing my thing and said to myself, 'Do the best that I can and make it hard for them to keep me there.'"

"I think obviously a great arm is the first thing that comes to mind," said Double-A Birmingham pitching coach J.R. Perdew, describing what he saw from Reed. "He's got some deception. That great arm, that stuff, good deception -- hitters didn't take very good swings against him. And also he had very good poise, mound presence. He was very impressive, very under control."

"It's a combination of fastball velocity and the deception in his delivery," Perdew said. "The ball kind of jumps out of his hand -- he's got a dip-and-drive delivery. It takes off on hitters up in zone a lot. And third, he's got really good fastball command. And a pretty good slider with good break. That's four good reasons why he gets a lot of swings and misses."

"My gameplan is just to attack the hitter and see what they can do," Reed said. "If they get a hit in three out of 10 at-bats, they're a Hall of Famer. So seven out of 10 times they're hopefully going to get out. My biggest key is I hate walking guys. My mind-set out there is attack the zone, keep it low and try to throw strikes."

Drafted in the third round in 2010, Reed relies mostly on a fastball-slider combination, with an improving change-up. According to Perdew, it was easy to see from his stuff that he wasn't long for Double-A.

"I knew he was going to get out of there," he said. "I thought when he started showing the ability to stay on top of the slider and was developing the change-up, it was time for him to go. [The White Sox] even asked me if he was ready for the big leagues and I said yes."

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rookie reliever Addison Reed, the organization's No. 1 prospect, has added a cutter to his fastball, slider and changeup. He discovered it almost by accident while "messing around with grips" in a bullpen session with coach Juan Nieves.

"It feels awesome, so we'll see what happens with it," he said. "If I have all those pitches, that's just one more thing (hitters) have to be thinking about."

Reed has allowed one run in 41/3 spring innings.

Terrified.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...cago-green-sox/

Both Reed and Santiago have the opportunity to see significant save opportunities in 2012 with the former the current favorite. Reed was a teammate of Stephen Strasburg’s in college and could quickly shake the title of “That other guy from San Diego State” thanks to his mid-to-upper-90s velocity and wipeout slider. It’s rare to see a rookie pitcher annointed closer – and actually handle the responsibility but Reed really is that good.