Marlins interested in Ozzie Guillen (again)

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Who said anything about racial? SS2K5 said you were right in that I make everything about me. That's hippos***. I don't even have 20, 000 post yet and I've been posting here since '03.

Well why did you threaten to post what I PM'd you then? People were discussing slurs and then you start mentioning a PM I sent you. What the heck else does that infer?

Anyways, no one cares, so let's drop it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Trying to get back on track, I will ask this again... why is this thread called "Marlines interested in Ozzie Guillen" when I can find not a shred of evidence that this is the case today?

Beside the phil rogers article, there is the idea that they just hired an 80-year-old stopgap manager, and have been interested in guillen before.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Trying to get back on track, I will ask this again... why is this thread called "Marlines interested in Ozzie Guillen" when I can find not a shred of evidence that this is the case today?

Because you don't know how to use the simple tool of Google?

Really though, it was on ESPN TV yesterday. Now a few other places are reporting it today.

Its so LOL to take serious offense to someone using a word. Its unfathomable to me that someone could get butthurt from somebody using a word to describe someone else over the internet. Its gotten to a ridiculous point in this country (and surely others). A few years ago, a politician was forced to resign for correct use of the term 'n****rdly' in a press conference. As we all know, that word has nothing to do with race.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)

Somewhere in that discussion I did post where Heyman suggested Ozzie as a likely candidate.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Because you don't know how to use the simple tool of Google?

Really though, it was on ESPN TV yesterday. Now a few other places are reporting it today.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
Somewhere in that discussion I did post where Heyman suggested Ozzie as a likely candidate.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Evidence, as in, any indication that the Marlins are interested. Not Rogers or Heyman pulling s*** out of their rear ends because it fits nicely on a piece of paper... but anything at all from the Marlins side, or anything other than someone's idle speculation.

Yes I know it was discussed last year, and it wasn't pulled off.

Just saying, this thread should be titled "what if the Marlins want Guillen", since there is no information that says they are interested. Nothing wrong with the topic as speculation, I just think its funny that the thread title and people's reactions act as if something is going on here, when there is zero evidence saying there is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Evidence, as in, any indication that the Marlins are interested. Not Rogers or Heyman pulling s*** out of their rear ends because it fits nicely on a piece of paper... but anything at all from the Marlins side, or anything other than someone's idle speculation.

Just saying, this thread should be titled "what if the Marlins want Guillen", since there is no information that says they are interested. Nothing wrong with the topic as speculation, I just think its funny that the thread title and people's reactions act as if something is going on here, when there is zero evidence saying there is.

Could the Marlins say that publicly about a manager under contract to another team?

I know for a player, that would be considered tampering. I have no idea if they could publicly state that they are interested in Ozzie, but it seems to be pretty widely reported by people around the league to be true.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)

Well, the Marlins aren't going to (and probably cannot) comment on Ozzie publicly. ESPN, and I believe Heyman too, were saying the Marlins were interested, as in they knew something. This is a lot different than speculating that they should/would be interested

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Well, the Marlins aren't going to (and probably cannot) comment on Ozzie publicly. ESPN, and I believe Heyman too, were saying the Marlins were interested, as in they knew something. This is a lot different than speculating that they should/would be interested

It would be tampering. Ozzie is under contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
Yeah, because you are the devil. :lolhitting I think shack is right about your me complex. I also am pretty right about what you would think of being used as an insult, because you take it personally when someone disagrees with you. You would lose it if I used you to mean some sort of sub-intelligent figure.

Honestly, I believe something like this should be used as an opportunity to make yourself a better person. That's why it even got brought up. But if you are perfectly proud of your ignorance here, there isn't much of a point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Fair enough. Balta +1. Do you think that was a fireable offense? And for the record, I'll remove the "R" word from my vocabulary.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Its so LOL to take serious offense to someone using a word. Its unfathomable to me that someone could get butthurt from somebody using a word to describe someone else over the internet. Its gotten to a ridiculous point in this country (and surely others). A few years ago, a politician was forced to resign for correct use of the term 'n****rdly' in a press conference. As we all know, that word has nothing to do with race.

1.I'm trying to figure out what the JM word means? I am having a brain fart on JM and what Ozzie said.

I also thought this was an opportunity to make you a better person and just remove the R word from your possible choice of words.

And you said you'll remove the word from your vocabulary which is great.

2. Yes you have to watch what you say nowadays, though I still like to wish people a merry christmas. If somebody said happy hanukah to me I would say thanks I wouldn't give a s*** that I don't celebrate Hanukah (sp).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
1.I'm trying to figure out what the JM word means? I am having a brain fart on JM and what Ozzie said.

I also thought this was an opportunity to make you a better person and just remove the R word from your possible choice of words.

And you said you'll remove the word from your vocabulary which is great.

2. Yes you have to watch what you say nowadays, though I still like to wish people a merry christmas. If somebody said happy hanukah to me I would say thanks I wouldn't give a s*** that I don't celebrate Hanukah (sp).

Jay Mariotti

This story isn't going to play well on soxtalk.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/6074...-just-bolt.html

Save your time.

Comments coming:

-- Fire him now.

-- Let the big mouth go.

-- How much more can Jerry take from this guy?

-- I'm sick of Ozzie and his kids. Florida just take him now!! You can have him!!

Key the reaction in three, two, one ... Boom sox fans go get Ozzie.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
No way in hell should that ever happen. I'd rather have Ozzie here instead of Cito sleeping during the damn game.

If Ozzie slept through the games, he might be a better manager.

When he's awake, he's one of the worst in-game strategist ever.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
No way in hell should that ever happen. I'd rather have Ozzie here instead of Cito sleeping during the damn game.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)

I can't say ever since I didn't watch the first century and a quarter of Major League Baseball, but he's among the worst I've ever seen. The White Sox put on the "we're not managed well" clinic last night, letting the only good player on the other team produce their first three runs, leaving the starting pitcher in too long and making sure he burst into virtual flames and the game was over before removing him, and then letting Juan Pierre make the last out of the game during a mild threat with Brent Lillibridge available on the bench (and yes, I know he was ejected by that point, and no I don't buy he wasn't still calling the shots).

Ozzie Guillen's PR manager, Joe Cowley, wrote this article after the game. I hope there is heat on Kenny Williams as well, to be fair. But we can only hope Oz is gone in the very near future: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6074231-417...might-bolt.html

EDIT: Sorry Greg, didn't notice you posted the story already.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

You guys act like this is a desirable job. With no prospects coming up and an aging team with no bullpen, we got problems for any manager.

Cito might be smart. A guy with no other options. A have a sneaky feeling we'll just name Cora.

Signing up to coach the Bulls wasn't all that desirable a job for Tom Thibodeau at the time, was it?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
This story isn't going to play well on soxtalk.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/6074...-just-bolt.html

Save your time.

Comments coming:

-- Fire him now.

-- Let the big mouth go.

-- How much more can Jerry take from this guy?

-- I'm sick of Ozzie and his kids. Florida just take him now!! You can have him!!

Key the reaction in three, two, one ... Boom sox fans go get Ozzie.

This is a little bit like Jeff Skilling going to Kenneth Lay weeks before Enron collapsed and asking for a pay raise, more stock options and a better golden parachute.

Just tired of Ozzie thinking he's more important than the team. Seriously, they already gave him an extension through 2012...what are they supposed to do to make him happy, an Ozzie Theme Park filled with statues of him bunting, Venezuelan Night and a tribute song by Dennis DeYoung?

Seriously, Greg, aren't you the one always saying "just win, baby" and quoting Al Davis? Maybe if we actually got to .500 for once since the 2nd week of the season, someone besides Cowley would actually listen to him.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:16 AM)

A couple things, first it's hard to be a good in-game strategist when the players don't execute. Second, I think people way overrate in-games moves by managers. Earl Weaver is considered one of the best managers ever and he didn't do anything but sit back and wait for a home run all game. The players win or lose the games. I think a good manager is more about how he runs the clubhouse and things we never see. In-game strategy is not all that difficult. Heck, we all can watch a game a know when to bunt, when to steal and so on. A manager is only as good as his players. It's funny how the "great" Joe Torre never won more than 67 games as the Mets manager, and never 90 in a season anyhwere, but when he gets to the Yankees roster he becomes a genius and baseball wizard,and only won less than 90 once.