That would be another white sox winner!

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
The seasons Beckett and Verlander are having make it rough...

Those are the two guys I was thinking of. It would only take a rough patch for Verlander to get Humber past him. Beckett is blowing them both out of the water, though. But an injury is always just around the corner with that guy.

EDIT: Ah crap, you're right. I forgot about Weaver.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
No chance. Even if he did have the best numbers by a reasonable margin, I don't think many of the writers would buy in.

Verlander looks to be the best starter in the AL to me thus far.

What makes you say that? The writers have been pretty good about choosing the correct guy for a few years now. So if Beckett gets hurt and Verlander and Weaver have mediocre second halves, I can see them voting for him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
What makes you say that? The writers have been pretty good about choosing the correct guy for a few years now. So if Beckett gets hurt and Verlander and Weaver have mediocre second halves, I can see them voting for him.

Well, I just can't see them giving it to a guy who has never put up anywhere near a season like that before. I could certainly be wrong.

Of course then you have a guy like Pineda in there, and then Felix, Shields, Haren, Ogando, CJ Wilson, CC, Ricky Romero...a TON of pitchers are having great years this year (at least with the numbers we are accustomed to seeing), so he's going to have to have a lot fall into place for him.

My guess is he'd have to find a way to get to 18-20 wins, have the White Sox make the post season, and have an ERA in the mid -2's to get it done.

In the 1st and 4th innings the 1-2 combination of Pierre and Vizquel looked really good. Each inning Pierre got a single to left . Early in the count Vizquel squares to bunt to draw the infield in . So you know the hit and run is coming. Omar hit it hard the next pitch but foul with Pierre going. Omar eventually gets the hit and Alexei hits a groundball to get the Sox 1st run of the day home.

Same situation in the 8th. Pierre hit. Omar squares to bunt takes a ball. Next pitch, I tell my friend, Arizona should pitch out. They don't. Vizquel executes a perfect hit and run on an up and away pitch and the start of the 5 run inning to break open the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Konerko is now tied with one "Harold Baines" on the all time HR list.

Wonder what that guy's doing now.

I think he's a coach somewhere. If memory serves, he was the Sox bench coach at some point. ;)

Great game today. I'm ready to turn my first-born over to Humber, Rumplestiltskin style, if he wants it. And for all you Jason Vargas haters out there..... SHHHHH!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
If a couple of guys have a bit of a down second half, can he seriously vie for the CY?

No, not at all. He won't have a second half like the first half he is having, but his control is sure going to help even when he experiences some bad luck that he is bound to run in to, as well as facing teams a second time and third time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
No, not at all. He won't have a second half like the first half he is having, but his control is sure going to help even when he experiences some bad luck that he is bound to run in to, as well as facing teams a second time and third time.

I love when people make statements like this. No one saw this coming, but it's not as if he's been getting by on smoke and mirrors. Maybe he's turned the corner, or put it all together, who knows. But what he has done is been damn consistent for a few months now. I see no reason he can't continue this for the rest of the year at this point. Doesn't mean he will, but based on what we've seen so far, making a statement like that seems pretty foolish to me.