Chicago @ Chicago, 06/20, 7:10, WCIU (Sox), CSN (Cubs)

Forget the Twins, Indians, Tigers, and that meaningless AL Central title

Today, the battle for the best trophy in sports begins...the BP Crosstown Cup!! :headbang :headbang

Career Numbers vs. Big Z:

Beckham: 2-3

Dunn: 13-62, 1 2b, 7 HR, 18 BB, 17 K

Floyd: 0-1

Konerko: 9-29, 4 HR

Pierre: 8-33, 2 2b

AJP: 6-21, 1 HR

CQ: 1-1, 1 3-run HR

Alexei: 3-7, 2 HR

Rios: 1-1

Vizquel: 3-14, 1 2b

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
Is Floyd going to bat at home?

Yeah, he's gonna bat for Pierre, who will be the designated bad fielder.

Ha, I saw Floyd's name in the Batter v. Pitcher list, and I totally spaced out on the DH being back after the weekend in AZ.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Heading out to the Cell after work. The Cubs employ a man whose name is Darwin Barney. Awful.

And Cubs fans actually think Barney is a good baseball player because he is batting .294. That man is a bad baseball player. It's similar logic to the White Sox fans who think Juan Pierre is still good even when he hits .290.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
I hate when they don't do these on the weekend. I greatly prefer the Friday-Saturday-Sunday day games.

It makes a ton of financial sense if these games are guaranteed sellouts to have them on weekdays.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
And Cubs fans actually think Barney is a good baseball player because he is batting .294. That man is a bad baseball player. It's similar logic to the White Sox fans who think Juan Pierre is still good even when he hits .290.

Honestly, is there anybody left who thinks this? I guess ranger, Chi Soxix or however he spells it and el rockin. Greg depending on whether the moon is full or not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Honestly, is there anybody left who thinks this? I guess ranger, Chi Soxix or however he spells it and el rockin. Greg depending on whether the moon is full or not.

I actually spent a few minutes on The Score last night arguing with Rongey about Pierre. I was on my way home with my family after an early dinner, and felt compelled to call in. He and I went at it for a good few minutes.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
I actually spent a few minutes on The Score last night arguing with Rongey about Pierre. I was on my way home with my family after an early dinner, and felt compelled to call in. He and I went at it for a good few minutes.

That was you? I had to turn it off. It was awful radio. I felt like I was on Soxtalk. Now I know why. :lolhitting

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)

lol. Was that you that brought up WAR and how Viciedo would probably add three or four more wins to the Sox over the course of a season? Of course, Ranger's response was the White Sox aren't going to dump Pierre because they have to get some sorta return on their "investment." And that there's still value in a guy that can hit .290.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
lol. Was that you that brought up WAR and how Viciedo would probably add three or four more wins to the Sox over the course of a season? Of course, Ranger's response was the White Sox aren't going to dump Pierre because they have to get some sorta return on their "investment." And that there's still value in a guy that can hit .290.

I respect Rongey 90% of the time, but when he pulls the company line bulls*** I can't stand him. He did the same thing when Ozzie lead off Wise, saying we had to give Wise a chance before we could demand a change. Unfortunately, anyone with any baseball smarts and access to minor league stats knew Wise was garbage offensively. He can't honestly believe some the crap that he says, but I guess it's just part of the job.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)

Yeah it was. I was so fed up. And then he said about being near the league lead in hits every year. I never got to respond to that, but of course the guy is going to. He never walks and gets the most plate appearances in the league each year. But like the poster above me said, he has to play nice and back the Sox since The Score and the Sox have a relationship. So I am not sure how much it is Ronger actually believing what he is saying or having to abide by the company line.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Rongey also tried to say the leadoff hitter isn't as important as the 6 and 7 hitters (he also said 3, 4, 5). Ideally, you want one of your best hitters in the leadoff spot (highest OBP, lowest SLG amongst your best hitters).

It's hard to argue with Rongey. He's going to take the same stance over and over again, basically.

I think I missed your call maggs, but I heard Rongey try to explain himself after your call while I was eating Subway in my car.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Rongey also tried to say the leadoff hitter isn't as important as the 6 and 7 hitters (he also said 3, 4, 5). Ideally, you want one of your best hitters in the leadoff spot (highest OBP, lowest SLG amongst your best hitters).

It's hard to argue with Rongey. He's going to take the same stance over and over again, basically.

I think I missed your call maggs, but I heard Rongey try to explain himself after your call while I was eating Subway in my car.

Haha, I had to turn it off after my diatribe. But I just couldn't understand his rationale that the Sox need to keep putting Pierre out since they are "all in," and needing to get their money out of their investments. If they are truly "all in," then winning is clearly the highest priority of the organization, which should thus dictate benching Pierre in favor of Viciedo.