F*** it, I've Got This. White Sox vs Cubs 7:10 first pitch

Kyyle23

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
greg, you still haven't answered me. Should we just ignore all of Dunn's past production? Can we use that same standard with other players?

In game situations right now? yes. Lond term I dont expect this level of baseball but untill he goes on a few week period that match his career averages i would not bat him 5, rarely start him against a lefty and almost certainly pinch hit late in a close game

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
greg, you still haven't answered me. Should we just ignore all of Dunn's past production? Can we use that same standard with other players?

as I said in the win thread... this is not to excuse his poor hitting this year, but at this point and with a lefty with that violent of splits, Castro or Beckham should have taken that AB, with his current struggles there's zero point in Dunn taking that AB

I was saying you can't pinch hit for him because of his salary and how much the team is "counting" on him this year and years to come.

In terms of trading for him, yes, being big n somewhat fat is a concern or should be for GMs.

Apparently he can't catch up to fastballs and is frozen on curves. Is the gut a concern? I am no expert. I dunno.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
I was saying you can't pinch hit for him because of his salary and how much the team is "counting" on him this year and years to come.

In terms of trading for him, yes, being big n somewhat fat is a concern or should be for GMs.

Apparently he can't catch up to fastballs and is frozen on curves. Is the gut a concern? I am no expert. I dunno.

We signed him, not a trade. And yes, he's always been a large guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)

they absolutely can pinch hit for him, if some of this is mental then the damage of him looking horrible against a LHP or getting pinch hit for is probably neutral.

From what I've seen, he's missing a ton of mistake pitches. He is going to K a lot no matter what, even if he heats up and hits 10 HRs in 20 games or something, he is going to K a significant amount of times, he just looks that much worse since he's not hitting the ball out of the park on a regular basis. Perfect example was in Arizona, I believe, when PK hit one, Dunn K'd and Rios hit a homer... Dunn has 2 great pitches to hit and fouled them off where in the past he likely demolishes one of those pitches.

I don't know how Paulie does it, but he's been so good the past 2 seasons and more.

But the past 2 seasons he hasn't even ever had a cold spell has he? Knock on wood.

If he doesn't make the all star game they should just cancel the game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
Oh.

Well I guess the Dunn signing looked good on paper, Heads.

But he's turned into yuk.

are you seriously just writing it off completely? obviously he's been a major disappointment until now, but he's still got over a half a year left and a few years, let's see if he settles in some.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 05:41 AM)
they absolutely can pinch hit for him, if some of this is mental then the damage of him looking horrible against a LHP or getting pinch hit for is probably neutral.

From what I've seen, he's missing a ton of mistake pitches. He is going to K a lot no matter what, even if he heats up and hits 10 HRs in 20 games or something, he is going to K a significant amount of times, he just looks that much worse since he's not hitting the ball out of the park on a regular basis. Perfect example was in Arizona, I believe, when PK hit one, Dunn K'd and Rios hit a homer... Dunn has 2 great pitches to hit and fouled them off where in the past he likely demolishes one of those pitches.

Great post.

I just can't see pinch hitting for the big fella. He's supposed to be all everything and is failing. But did we sign him thinking he'd never face a lefty? I think you have to pretend he's the old Dunn and let him bat. If he fails he fails.

That said, I wouldn't be against a fake DL stint for him to once again try to get his act together.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't know how Paulie does it, but he's been so good the past 2 seasons and more.

But the past 2 seasons he hasn't even ever had a cold spell has he? Knock on wood.

If he doesn't make the all star game they should just cancel the game.

he's not attempting to pull every single pitch he sees and he's easier on himself after a failure. His cold snaps were long stretches where he what attempt to pull everything. Since he's been red hot the last year and a half or so he is seemingly using a better approach. Even an out to the right side of the field can benefit a hitter down the line.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 05:42 AM)
are you seriously just writing it off completely? obviously he's been a major disappointment until now, but he's still got over a half a year left and a few years, let's see if he settles in some.

My only hope is the Frank Thomas article saying it takes time to learn to be a DH.

That's my only hope.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Great post.

I just can't see pinch hitting for the big fella. He's supposed to be all everything and is failing. But did we sign him thinking he'd never face a lefty? I think you have to pretend he's the old Dunn and let him bat. If he fails he fails.

That said, I wouldn't be against a fake DL stint for him to once again try to get his act together.

I'm pretty sure they can use "anxiety" for the DL, I think it might have entered that point for him.

I know I'm in the minority and outside of about a 7 game stretch he has done nothing to make me think this but, I think he'll turn it around. At this point he won't end up with 40/100, but I can see 25/70ish... which would be a letdown coming into the season, but 18 HRs and abput 45 RBIs would help.

I was thinking the last game or two... is Paulie absolutely that red hot or are teams still respecting Dunn behind him a little or is it a mix of both?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 05:47 AM)
I'm pretty sure they can use "anxiety" for the DL, I think it might have entered that point for him.

I know I'm in the minority and outside of about a 7 game stretch he has done nothing to make me think this but, I think he'll turn it around. At this point he won't end up with 40/100, but I can see 25/70ish... which would be a letdown coming into the season, but 18 HRs and abput 45 RBIs would help.

I was thinking the last game or two... is Paulie absolutely that red hot or are teams still respecting Dunn behind him a little or is it a mix of both?

I thought of that, too. The protection in the lineup thing helping Paulie.

But when you see pitchers just go after Dunn and whiff him, it doesn't make sense.

Dunn isn't even walking much any more is he?

Pitchers are just whiffing him away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
I thought of that, too. The protection in the lineup thing helping Paulie.

But when you see pitchers just go after Dunn and whiff him, it doesn't make sense.

Dunn isn't even walking much any more is he?

Pitchers are just whiffing him away.

I know, that's what I can't figure out. It's one thing when they dropped him to 7th and Omar was hitting behind him, pitchers literally gave him nothing to hit, but at this point if I'm an opposing manager I can't let PK beat me, Dunn or whoever is hitting behind PK has to do it, but PK is still getting FBs to hit.