AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Heads22

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
His velocity is definitely up from his last outing.

June 22:

90.47 avg - 92.7 max 4 seamer

91.47 avg - 93.9 max 2 seamer

today:

92.3 avg - 95 max 4 seamer

93.1 avg - 95.1 max 2 seamer

His max cutter was up 2 MPH today.

His average fastball velocity for the season was 90.8 coming into today.

Thanks for the stellar stats :)

His motion looked too be devoid of any attempt to ease up on the recoil... I just hope it doesn't lead to another injury. Also, I wonder if his return to that motion accounted for the increased movement?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
I totally understand the fans' frustration and anger but I just don't agree with booing "our own".

My big thing is when you are hitting under .200 and you have that whole side of the infield, at some point, dont' you just try to beat the shift a bit and do something decent. Heck, anything to give you some sort of confidence.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
My big thing is when you are hitting under .200 and you have that whole side of the infield, at some point, dont' you just try to beat the shift a bit and do something decent. Heck, anything to give you some sort of confidence.

I always wanted to ask Jim Thome that.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I always wanted to ask Jim Thome that.

Seems apparent to me that guys like Dunn and Thome made their millions being sluggers ,being pull hitters. To all of a sudden start bunting down the 3rd base line is counter intuitive to what made them their money and probably a lot more difficult than doing what is your bread and butter. You don't bat in the middle of the order to be a singles hitter

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:01 AM)
Seems apparent to me that guys like Dunn and Thome made their millions being sluggers ,being pull hitters. To all of a sudden start bunting down the 3rd base line is counter intuitive to what made them their money and probably a lot more difficult than doing what is your bread and butter. You don't bat in the middle of the order to be a singles hitter

I'm pretty sure I've seen David Ortiz do it before.

It actually kinda makes sense if you can get it down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)

David Ortiz has definitely done it a number of times, less of a bunt and more like "stick the bat out there in a half swing". I've wanted to see Thome and now Dunn do this for a while. And while Dunn is getting paid millions to hit home runs, it just isn't working for him now. It just makes sense to try ANYTHING to get on base at this point.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
David Ortiz has definitely done it a number of times, less of a bunt and more like "stick the bat out there in a half swing". I've wanted to see Thome and now Dunn do this for a while. And while Dunn is getting paid millions to hit home runs, it just isn't working for him now. It just makes sense to try ANYTHING to get on base at this point.

If nothing else it would reduce that cluster on the side of the infield.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
If nothing else it would reduce that cluster on the side of the infield.

It would certainly help the batting average, but if you're paying a guy to drive in runs, do you really want him bunting just to get on base?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Exactly. I don't want him bunting, but I don't want him striking out 250 times more.

Sure...but I just don't think it'll help him "get his swing back" or whatever he needs to do to get back on track. A few more times on base might help the team win a game or two, but getting his swing back to his "usual" production would help the team win a lot more. In the long run, the most important thing is for "regular" Adam Dunn to come back.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
Sure...but I just don't think it'll help him "get his swing back" or whatever he needs to do to get back on track. A few more times on base might help the team win a game or two, but getting his swing back to his "usual" production would help the team win a lot more. In the long run, the most important thing is for "regular" Adam Dunn to come back.

A lot of players have talked about the aspect of watching the ball to the bat in a bunt being good for their thought process. Right now the problem doesn't look like the swing, it looks like between the shoulder blades is what is wrong. Why not give a different look. Bunt, hit and run, something to change the mental approach up there and quit Adam from overthinking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:32 AM)

I don't really care what power hitter has done it before. Do they still put the shift on for Ortiz ? Yes. When there are men on base and you need a big hit did he bunt ? I'm not against trying it a few times when slumping but guys like Thome and Dunn never bunt and asking them to do and having it be some type of magical cure for the problem isn't likely to happen. It's more likely to make us applaud the effort but will probably inspire more amusement then anything else.

One thing I would be wary with in this situation with Dunn is overcoaching. It seems like we do this too much in the organization and overcoaching can lead to prolonging slumps even more, and it seems like some guys never even really cover from it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
One thing I would be wary with in this situation with Dunn is overcoaching. It seems like we do this too much in the organization and overcoaching can lead to prolonging slumps even more, and it seems like some guys never even really cover from it.

Do we really think that's a problem in this organization?

Famously, Joe Mauer once put a bunt down (can't remember the specific game) last season with the bases loaded or RISP and their entire fanbase went apeshi- over it that he wasn't swinging away and was shirking his responsibility off to a lesser batter who was following him in the line-up.

If you were to ask Joe Mauer right now what kind of play that was, I would hope that he . . They WANT you to try something stupid like bunting. C'mon, Joe. .

Jul 21, 2010 . Bunting. In that situation? Believe me, I get what Joe Mauer was thinking, and he is a very good bunter. No question about that.

Joe Mauer bunting with the game on the line (and no Justin Morneau batting behind him for protection?)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Famously, Joe Mauer once put a bunt down (can't remember the specific game) last season with the bases loaded or RISP and their entire fanbase went apeshi- over it that he wasn't swinging away and was shirking his responsibility off to a lesser batter who was following him in the line-up.

If you were to ask Joe Mauer right now what kind of play that was, I would hope that he . . They WANT you to try something stupid like bunting. C'mon, Joe. .

Jul 21, 2010 . Bunting. In that situation? Believe me, I get what Joe Mauer was thinking, and he is a very good bunter. No question about that.

Joe Mauer bunting with the game on the line (and no Justin Morneau batting

You gotta admit though, there's a lot of differences there. Mauer doesn't get the overshift, Dunn does. Mauer was hitting what, ~.350 at the time, while Dunn is having a good season if he's above .250. Mauer strikes out (and thus wouldn't get the runner home) about 50-60 times in a normal season, Dunn 175+.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)

Joe Mauer bunting with the game on the line (and no Justin Morneau batting behind him for protection?)

I remember Joe Mauer putting down a bunt against a particular pitcher during a particularly important game. That one ended up as an out too.