AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Heads22

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Didn't he get a standing O after coming out for a pinch runner?

More bad news for the Twins: Young getting carted off the field.

what happened to young?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
BTW, it's not that fans boo Dunn anymore, it's that after the boo'ing, the fans talk to each other and just blast him. He needs more off days, especially vs LHP's.

I haven't been to a game at the Cell this year, obviously since I'm about 1735 miles away. but I've noticed lately when Dunn is at bat there is a lot of head shaking and scoffing in the crowd. That's fine but I seriously feel bad for the guy getting booed. Being a Hardcore White Sox fan I just don't like to see anybody on the Sox booed at home. Ever. He's been a gigantic disappointment, but we have to accept that and wait and hope for him to come around. That's just the way I feel. I understand that not every Sox fan is going to feel the same way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
I went to a game against Seattle a few weeks ago, and as soon as Dunn got two strikes, people were starting to boo him. He has no one to blame but himself.

I totally understand the fans' frustration and anger but I just don't agree with booing "our own".

Went to the game today, as well. My brother and I were about to bet on how many times Dunn K's and if it's swinging/called.

In any case, I now have the utmost respect for Peavy. He must have huge stones. Talk about saving the pen, big time.

Were't the fans cheering and standing up for Dunn in his last at-bat when he walked?

Was that derisive cheering of the "Bronx cheer" variety or was there the sense that booing the guy mercilessly might not be helping...so they might as well try cheering?

Great effort by both Bruney and Peavy.

Castro came through huge (perfect approach against a guy throwing 99-101), and Sergio looked like his "good" self again. He's 15/17 in save opportunities now, I think.

Lillibridge has had his struggles these last two games with the bases loaded. Absolutely have to make contact SOMEHOW on those squeeze attempts, even on sliders down and away.

Beckham, still trying to figure things out. At least Rios looks better.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Were't the fans cheering and standing up for Dunn in his last at-bat when he walked?

Was that derisive cheering of the "Bronx cheer" variety or was there the sense that booing the guy mercilessly might not be helping...so they might as well try cheering?

Castro came through huge (perfect approach against a guy throwing 99-101), and Sergio looked like his "good" self again. He's 15/17 in save opportunities now, I think.

Lillibridge has had his struggles these last two games with the bases loaded. Absolutely have to make contact SOMEHOW on those squeeze attempts, even on sliders down and away.

I think it's gotten beyond angry determined boos for dunn and moved on to most people almost begging him to succeed.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:29 AM)
I totally understand the fans' frustration and anger but I just don't agree with booing "our own".

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:51 AM)

The Fox telecast actually showed that one inning here and I got the feeling it was totally of the Bronx cheer variety. They showed some fans afterward and they were laughing and shaking their heads cause he got on base.

I agree with fathom that he brought it on himself. He could make SOME adjustments to at least hit the ball once in a while. But he's going for the long ball every time and whiffing through fastballs and waving at breaking balls.

Throughout this whole bad streak for Dunn, DJ and Farmio pretty consistently have been saying that he's pressing and not relaxed.

That sooner or later, he has to just junk thinking and overanalyzing and worrying...and devolve to the "see the ball, hit the ball" approach.

For sure, his swing has been long all year. He's fouling off all those fastballs he used to kill, or just getting under them or being robbed when he does hit one pretty squarely.

If I was the hitting coach...I'd go to some kind of basic drill with the BP pitcher firing fastballs on the outside half of the plate over and over again and forcing him to take that "short and quick" approach up the middle and to the opposite field. Make it a fun game, where you get "points" for hitting it in certain marked zones around the field. Of course, it's hard to simulate 95-100 MPH fastballs in BP, that's one problem. Even turning up the pitching machine, it's still not the same in terms of timing a major league pitcher.

The new theory is that he will snap out of it when he goes on the road and gets away from the home fans. I wonder if Dunn's family have stopped coming to games at home? You feel sorry for him, but then you don't, since he's getting paid more than most of us will make in a lifetime to play a kid's game we would all play for free.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
Good win. But these winner threads just aren't as enjoyable when the team is still below .500. It'd be nice to finally reach this milestone by July 1.

The way this division is going, I wouldn't be completely shocked if first place at some point in the 2nd half is .500 or 1-2 games below.

It's not unlike that NL West the Padres won where they were below .500 for a majority of the season and barely made it in.

If Cleveland had maintained their earlier pace, we'd still be 8 1/2 game back and pretty much on the outside looking in. Fortunately, they haven't.

But at least for now, the home crowds aren't buying it, either.

Except for the Cubs, we've had a pretty consistent streak of 20-25,000 in attendance every game, even on weekends. That's a pretty good barometer of sentiment and frustration, and of course, the escalating cost to attend a game.

Like I said, I was at the game, and I'm like 99% sure it was a bronx cheer. If it wasn't, MY cheering was a bronx cheer. Even with the walk, his play today was bad. 0-3 with 3 strikeouts, he made a bad throw when Danks had the guy picked off, and he almost air-mailed another into LF after a pick-off got away from him.

While Dunn sucks, Ozzie must realize it. STOP THROWING HIM OUT THERE AGAINST LHP'S. I would've rather seen Teahen play 1B today over Dunn.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
I think it's gotten beyond angry determined boos for dunn and moved on to most people almost begging him to succeed.

Hearing the crowd at the stadium on tv doesn't suggest that (but then again cubs fans cheer or boo but have no idea what is going on). What he hears is a resounding boo throughout the game; no matter how mentally strong you are (which it sounds that he is) that is going to weigh on you. Think about showing up to work or doing a personal activity you love and being told 'you suck' constantly. You can brush it off as much as you can but it sinks in eventually. And from a fan's perspective, the novelty of booing has to fade into what I'm inferring from Balta- it's getting so depressing that it is hard to even feign a boo.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:08 AM)
Like I said, I was at the game, and I'm like 99% sure it was a bronx cheer. If it wasn't, MY cheering was a bronx cheer. Even with the walk, his play today was bad. 0-3 with 3 strikeouts, he made a bad throw when Danks had the guy picked off, and he almost air-mailed another into LF after a pick-off got away from him.

While Dunn sucks, Ozzie must realize it. STOP THROWING HIM OUT THERE AGAINST LHP'S. I would've rather seen Teahen play 1B today over Dunn.

Yikes. The whole situation is just brutal.