Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Farmer's been on the fans for this, and it goes something like "booing a guy will never help him out of a slump (it will only make things worse...)"

What will his family, his children attending the game think about Chicago fans?

He's a part of the White Sox family...it's our responsibility to support him. How does being negative help the situation?

DJ's response was more like "it goes with the territory...when you're scuffling or playing under your expected level of performance, you know it's coming." Just have to take it an at-bat at a time and slowly put together a good game, then a good streak of positive at-bats, etc. Get back to basics, see the ball, hit the ball. Basically, the fans are paying good money for tickets and its their right to express their feelings and emotions, as long as they're not profane or disrupting others' enjoyment of the game.

I never thought at any point in this season I'd be much more concerned about Dunn than either Rios or Peavy, that's for sure.

Once Dunn starts performing, the booing will stop. Pitchers don't strike out as much as he does.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
I don't boo players except Jaime Navarro, but I do think people have the right to boo someone making a ton of money playing a game. If its too much, I'm sure Adam has made more money already this year than millions will make in a lifetime, he can go home. That said, when the game begins, Dunn is not booed. He's not booed when they announce the line ups. He's not booed when he's announced as the hitter, he's booed when he strikes out, and we haven't seen this rate of strikeouts for a long time. It looked to me like Friday night he may have something to build on, but something is very wrong. He's late on 86 MPH fastballs. He's fanned 16 times his last 6 games. He has 11 games with at least 3 strikeouts. He's only had 9 games with at least 3 plate appearances where he hasn't struck out at least once.

Great post.

I did notice he was not booed when he stepped to the plate. Some clapped each at bat.

It's when he gets one strike, then two the rumbling begins. Then strike three ... boo.

To strike out four times today, looking sick against Livan who was soft tossing .. it makes you wonder how Dunn even looks in batting practice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Great post.

I did notice he was not booed when he stepped to the plate. Some clapped each at bat.

It's when he gets one strike, then two the rumbling begins. Then strike three ... boo.

To strike out four times today, looking sick against Livan who was soft tossing .. it makes you wonder how Dunn even looks in batting practice.

I saw Dunn in batting practice, on the road in Seattle a while back. He looked fine, which I think is some evidence that pitcher familiarity and being able to time the pitcher (and match his long swing to the pitcher's delivery) is a big part of his past success and current lack of success in the AL. And BP pitches are also pretty straight, so the ball ends up where he thinks it is going to be when he starts his swing.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
I saw Dunn in batting practice, on the road in Seattle a while back. He looked fine, which I think is some evidence that pitcher familiarity and being able to time the pitcher (and match his long swing to the pitcher's delivery) is a big part of his past success and current lack of success in the AL. And BP pitches are also pretty straight, so the ball ends up where he thinks it is going to be when he starts his swing.

p.s. The other thing I learned watching BP is that you can't extrapolate BP success into game success. I chose Teahen as my pick-to-click that day because he must have hit a dozen bombs into the Safeco stands, the best performance of any Sox batter. Naturally he was 0 for 3 with two Ks...

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:56 AM)
p.s. The other thing I learned watching BP is that you can't extrapolate BP success into game success. I chose Teahen as my pick-to-click that day because he must have hit a dozen bombs into the Safeco stands, the best performance of any Sox batter. Naturally he was 0 for 3 with two Ks...

Interesting posts. Keep them coming.