Position: RHP

Height: 6-2

Weight: 195

Bat/Throw: R/R

Class: Senior

Hometown: Woodway, Texas

High School: Reicher Catholic HS

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2011/3/...0323111130.aspx

The end of a baseball game has many similarities to the end of sentence. Much like a sentence can be finished with a period, question mark or an exclamation point, so can a game.

The period is just your standard conclusion to a game without much excitement. The question mark is rarer but includes things like rain delays or the lights unexpectedly going out at the stadium. Then, there's the exclamation point.

That's when Joseph Dvorsky comes in the game.

Friday, February 18 was opening day for the Texas State baseball team as the Bobcats hosted Nebraska at Bobcat Ballpark. A capacity crowd of 2,386 filled the stadium and was treated to a 7-2 Texas State lead entering the ninth inning when the 90's hit “Hot Stepper” began to ring throughout the stadium, signaling it was time to bring in Texas State pitcher Joseph Dvorsky.

Dvorsky trotted in from the bullpen and wasted no time riffling through his warm-up. Cornhusker shortstop Chad Christianson stepped to the plate, and the first pitch he saw was a fastball that painted the outside corner for a strike, bringing the hometown crowd to its collective feet. Dvorsky wouldn't allow them to retake their seats as he worked quickly, making Christianson miss the next pitch before sitting him down on a called third strike as the crowd roared.

The next batter had little success either, sending a lazy fly ball to right field for the second out of the inning as Dvorsky paced on the mound, preparing for his next casualty.

Khiry Cooper came to bat next and watched as a first-pitch fastball whizzed in for a called strike. The cheers grew louder with every pitch as Dvorsky collected the ball back from catcher Andrew Stumph. Pitch two of the at-bat brought further jubilation as a changeup resulted in an awkward swing from Cooper for strike two. The San Marcos faithful rhythmically clapped as Dvorsky fired in the next two pitches that Cooper fought off, but the Waco, Texas native turned up the heat with his final pitch that made Cooper whiff and the crowd erupt.

That was an exclamation point.

Rewind four years and ask Dvorsky of that situation would ever happen, and he would probably say no.

“Coming out of high school, I didn't really think about playing college baseball until I was a senior,” Dvorsky recalled. “My coach told me I actually had a shot at playing in college, so I decided to go to McClennan (Community College) because it would be the best fit for me at the time.”

Dvorsky spent two years at McClennan where he played for head coach Pete Mejia. But after the stint, he wanted to take the next step.

“I had offers to play division II or III, but I really wanted to play division I ball,” Dvorsky said. “So I sent out some emails and decided to come here after talking with coach Matlock.”

The combination of getting to play for a successful baseball program, to learn in Texas State's School of Business and to remain close to home made Dvorsky's decision an easy one. He came on campus to meet with the coaches and immediately took a liking to the environment. He enrolled a few days later.

But after making just two appearances out of the bullpen in his first season as a Bobcat, Dvorsky knew he had to continue to work on his game if he wanted to make bigger contributions as a senior.

“I decided to play this summer in Victoria at the Texas Collegiate League,” Dvorsky said. “My junior college pitching coach was the head coach, so I wanted to go there. He let me throw three innings my first time out and then made me a starter from there.”

Dvorsky made the most of the opportunity to start as he went a perfect 7-0 with a 2.66 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 47 1/3 innings. He was named the TCL Pitcher of the Year and also authored the most dominating pitching performance in league history as he tossed the third no-hitter in TCL history, striking out 18 hitters and walking none against the defending league champions.

“My coach helped me out a lot and just gave me some confidence,” Dvorsky said.

With new-found confidence, Dvorsky returned to San Marcos this past fall and won over the Texas State coaches. He made such an impression, Dvorsky entered the 2011 season with the trust of his coaches to close out games for the Bobcats.

While it's a new role for the senior, he has made adjustments so that his success can continue.

“It's a different mindset,” Dvorsky said. “It's a big adrenalin rush. I can just come in and throw as hard as I can and don't have to worry about throwing another inning.”

­If his dominant performance against Nebraska was any indication, Bobcat fans will have many more exclamation point endings to look forward to this season.

Edited by OilCan

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2011/6/...0608113752.aspx

Dvorsky, Sibley Drafted On Day Three Of The MLB First-Year Player Draft

Texas State had a school-record five players drafted in 2011

San Marcos, Texas – A Texas State baseball record was set on Wednesday afternoon when senior pitcher Joseph Dvorsky and junior second baseman Tyler Sibley were drafted to bring the Bobcats' total to five players selected this year, the most that have ever been taken in Texas State history. Dvorsky was selected with the 20th pick of the 35th round by the Chicago White Sox, while Sibley was drafted with the 19th pick of the 50th round by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Three Bobcats were drafted on Tuesday as Kyle Kubitza (3rd round, Atlanta Braves), Carson Smith (8th round, Seattle Mariners) and Casey Kalenkosky (13th round, Washington Nationals) were all chosen on the second day of the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft.

With five players selected this year, Texas State has now had 10 players drafted over the past three years – the most in any three-year stretch in Texas State history.

Dvorsky began the season as the Texas State closer and earned six saves early in the season before primarily working in a middle relief and setup role. The Waco native finished the season with seven saves, tied for the third most in a single season in Texas State history, to go along with a 2.83 ERA and 38 strikeouts in 41 1/3 innings on the mound. Dvorsky had a 3-0 record and made 24 appearances during the season, 23 of which came out of the bullpen.

His one start of the season, and also his career, came in the Southland Conference Tournament championship game when Dvorsky pitched a complete game, four-hit shutout in leading the Bobcats to the tournament title. He earned Southland Conference All-Tournament Team honors after throwing one of three shutouts for the Bobcats this season.

• 9 months later...

Dvorsky finished 2011 with some good stats:

18 games

4-0 W/L record

2.93 ERA

27.2 IP

20 hits allowed

9 walks

32 Ks

Surprisingly, Joe is starting in Great Falls again, according to the Great Falls Roster.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Dvorsky finished 2011 with some good stats:

18 games

4-0 W/L record

2.93 ERA

27.2 IP

20 hits allowed

9 walks

32 Ks

Surprisingly, Joe is starting in Great Falls again, according to the Great Falls Roster.

I wouldn't put any stock in the rosters currently up for GF or Bristol. That said, if he isn't on the roster for Kanny or W-S, then he's probably in extended Spring Training. He could be back in GF from there, or could be added to Kanny as the year goes on and players move around.

For a 23 year old who put up strong numbers in a hitters' league last year, I do agree with you, kind of surprising he didn't open in Kanny.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

EAT EM UP CATS! TEXAS STATE'S OWN!!!!

So the University and baseball field are literally my backyard........

Anyhow, he's doing pretty good still, stat wise, earning a promotion from Low A Kanny to High A Winston Salem. Combined, he has the following:

25 games

39.2 IP

1-2 W-L record

2.27 ERA

6-43 Walks/Ks (love the K rate there)

39 hits allowed.

One big number sticks out. 6. The number of HRs he has given up.

I'm not sure what is normal for a reliever, but that seems a bit concerning to me.

• 1 year later...