6/29 Games

danman31

Lastings Milledge continues to hit. Average climbing up to .280 while sporting a great K/BB ratio, and good numbers on the base paths. I would like to see them bring him up and give him a few days at LF and lead off to see what he can do. He has had great potential a few years back, and I think he can still turn into an everyday player in the majors.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
Lastings Milledge continues to hit. Average climbing up to .280 while sporting a great K/BB ratio, and good numbers on the base paths. I would like to see them bring him up and give him a few days at LF and lead off to see what he can do. He has had great potential a few years back, and I think he can still turn into an everyday player in the majors.

Lastings Milledge has the capability of turning into an average to slightly above average bat. Dayan Viciedo has the chance to be the f***ing 5 hitter on this team.

I know who I am playing in LF. If/when they get eliminated, you can dick around with it, but Viciedo is the only option at this point in time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
Lastings Milledge has the capability of turning into an average to slightly above average bat. Dayan Viciedo has the chance to be the f***ing 5 hitter on this team.

I know who I am playing in LF. If/when they get eliminated, you can dick around with it, but Viciedo is the only option at this point in time.

We are getting terrible production from our lead off spot. Viceido is not gonna solve that problem unless we put him in Dunn's spot. If we replace Pierre with Viceido, who is gonna lead off for us? Alexei? Lillibridge? Rios? We can just easily swap Pierre with Milledge and try to address the lead off spot issue. I like Viceido, but we can't put him in LF unless we can find a passable lead off option from another position.

Also, I am not completely sure on this, but Milledge's defense in any of the outfield spots has got to be better than what Viceido has to offer.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)
We are getting terrible production from our lead off spot. Viceido is not gonna solve that problem unless we put him in Dunn's spot. If we replace Pierre with Viceido, who is gonna lead off for us? Alexei? Lillibridge? Rios? We can just easily swap Pierre with Milledge and try to address the lead off spot issue. I like Viceido, but we can't put him in LF unless we can find a passable lead off option from another position.

Also, I am not completely sure on this, but Milledge's defense in any of the outfield spots has got to be better than what Viceido has to offer.

The guy who hits first is only guaranteed to leadoff once a game. In the AL it's best to have a good obp in front of yhope boppers. We need to score runs. The slappy NL crap is why we have a hell of a time scoring runs. Konerko needs protection more than guillen needs a Jerry Owens clone up top.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)

So you are saying a leadoff hitter is more important than a 3-4-5 type guy on an offense that has tons of trouble scoring runs in the American League?

That's like not wanting to move your 7th inning pitcher to be the new closer because then you have to figure out how to fill the 7th inning pitcher spot. WHO CARES? It's not as important.

Tough nights are quickly becoming the norm for the Voyagers this year. After getting off to a 5-3 lead they gave up 7 unanswered runs finishing up a 12-5 loss. A couple guys had multi hits games but I'll give the offensive player of the game to Joe DePinto who went 2 for 5 with a run scored, 2 RBIs, and his first home run of the year. Qualon Millender also went 2 for 5 in the lead off spot and had a stolen base. Millender is leading the team in average (.333), second on the team in stolen bases (3), and second on the team in walks (5) with a .404 OBS , not bad for a lead off.

Pitchers were beat up pretty bad, Johnny Bachanov came in in the 5th and shut Missoula down for 1.2 innings. He came in with a runner on base popping up the first guy he faced and then striking out the next 4 batters he faced. If you are looking for somebody to watch out of Great Falls, Johnny right now is a guy to keep an eye on. In 4 relief appearances he's pitched 7 innings giving up 2 runs, both earned, on 6 hits while walking 2 and striking out 9. As said before, he's a former compensatory pick (53rd overall I think) and he is only in Great Falls on a 30 day rehab assignment then he's gotta get moved up or cut. The way he's pitching I gotta imagine the White Sox are going to find a spot to move him up. But you never know I guess.

Ugh... leadoff "issue" again? There is no such thing. If you select players to fit profiles of certain hitting slots, you are artificially reducing your potential field of talent for no good reason.

You find the best players available for each position, then you make the lineup after that. And Alexei can leadoff just fine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
Ugh... leadoff "issue" again? There is no such thing. If you select players to fit profiles of certain hitting slots, you are artificially reducing your potential field of talent for no good reason.

You find the best players available for each position, then you make the lineup after that. And Alexei can leadoff just fine.

It is easy to say it is artificial, but we have seen what happens to some players mentally when they get put into a role they don't know. Look no further than Adam Dunn and Nick Swisher.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
The guy who hits first is only guaranteed to leadoff once a game. In the AL it's best to have a good obp in front of yhope boppers. We need to score runs. The slappy NL crap is why we have a hell of a time scoring runs. Konerko needs protection more than guillen needs a Jerry Owens clone up top.

So who do you want in the lead of spot if we replace Pierre with Viceido? Yes, we would prefer a guy with good OBP in the lead spot, but who do we have? Konerko, Quentin, AJ or Viceido? Do you want any of those guys leading off? Those are really stationed slow footed guys who are not going to help you on the base paths. Didn't we just moved away from the live and die by the home run model and tried to incorporate more speed into the lineup a few years ago? I don't see a team that currently sports a good offense in the majors without a legit lead off hitter in the lineup.

We have guys who have a little bit more speed, in Rios, Beckham, Lilibridge, Morel, and Alexei. Those guys outside of Alexei are not hitting well enough to merit the top spot.

So I am just saying why replace Viceido with Pierre and having to reshuffle your whole batting order, when you can just swap Pierre with Milledge. At this point, Milledge still have good potential and could fill the lead off hitter admirably. If we bring up Viceido, we have to replace Dunn with him in the lineup.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 08:00 AM)
So who do you want in the lead of spot if we replace Pierre with Viceido? Yes, we would prefer a guy with good OBP in the lead spot, but who do we have? Konerko, Quentin, AJ or Viceido? Do you want any of those guys leading off? Those are really stationed slow footed guys who are not going to help you on the base paths. Didn't we just moved away from the live and die by the home run model and tried to incorporate more speed into the lineup a few years ago? I don't see a team that currently sports a good offense in the majors without a legit lead off hitter in the lineup.

We have guys who have a little bit more speed, in Rios, Beckham, Lilibridge, Morel, and Alexei. Those guys outside of Alexei are not hitting well enough to merit the top spot.

So I am just saying why replace Viceido with Pierre and having to reshuffle your whole batting order, when you can just swap Pierre with Milledge. At this point, Milledge still have good potential and could fill the lead off hitter admirably. If we bring up Viceido, we have to replace Dunn with him in the lineup.

So basically, you are saying you'd rather have Milledge than Viciedo in the lineup, all because Milledge more easily fits the prototypical leadoff profile. I'm sorry but I think that's a terrible way to build out your roster.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
nDanks might be getting closer also hitting .324 in his last 10 games. He can field. unlike dv and Milledge he can field.

He's still striking out a ton and only sporting a .738 OPS in June though.