7/1 Games

LayelBurton

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Saladino homered. Replaced late in the game....porque?

I must be half-asleep. Saw Jim Parque in the minor league thread at first.

Wilkins with his 13th homer. Looks like Mitchell is having a tough time turning the corner on his rebound season.

Thompson now with 15 doubles but also 3 K's and only a .227 avg.

Edited by caulfield12

Kevan Smith: 2-3, 2B, HR, 3 RBI. Apparently pulled though, any idea why?

I just realized Terry Doyle's name sounds identical to Bob Ueker's character (Harry Doyle) in Major League. Really just a random observation.

I think Terry is in the wrong system though. Seems like the prototypical Twins-system pitcher. Won't blow you away with stuff, but won't walk people and just gets the job done. He's having a great year and hasn't posted an ERA above 3.00 in any year in the minors. That's insane. He probably deserves more hype. Anyone (Mr. Doyle?) have a scouting report?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
Kevan Smith: 2-3, 2B, HR, 3 RBI. Apparently pulled though, any idea why?

I just realized Terry Doyle's name sounds identical to Bob Ueker's character (Harry Doyle) in Major League. Really just a random observation.

I think Terry is in the wrong system though. Seems like the prototypical Twins-system pitcher. Won't blow you away with stuff, but won't walk people and just gets the job done. He's having a great year and hasn't posted an ERA above 3.00 in any year in the minors. That's insane. He probably deserves more hype. Anyone (Mr. Doyle?) have a scouting report?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
It was outstanding. Terry's an impressive pitcher. He works quick, Mark Buehrle like quick, he attacks hitters, doesn't nibble, trusts his defense and is incredibly composed. He pitches even better with runners on base.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
I think Terry is in the wrong system though. Seems like the prototypical Twins-system pitcher. Won't blow you away with stuff, but won't walk people and just gets the job done. He's having a great year and hasn't posted an ERA above 3.00 in any year in the minors. That's insane. He probably deserves more hype.

You want a guy that will surprise you if you look at the numbers? Dylan Axelrod. He has flat out dominated since joining the system and starting.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
You want a guy that will surprise you if you look at the numbers? Dylan Axelrod. He has flat out dominated since joining the system and starting.

Actually seems very similar to Doyle. Both induce lots of groundballs and don't walk people. I wonder if Axelrod would be the first guy to get a spot start. Seems a better bet than Harrell though they are kinda similar.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
Is he projected as a future closer or set-up man if he does well in AAA?

Dan Remenowsky's Future Sox Profile

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/dan-remenowsky/

Major League Outlook: Middle relief or set-up role

ETA: 2012-2013

Edited by LayelBurton

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Dan Remenowsky's Future Sox Profile

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/dan-remenowsky/

Yeah I wrote that, needs updating.

I doubt he's a closer, or at least not a prototypical one. His fastball barely scrapes 90. He's done well because, as Buddy Bell put it, he can "hit a gnat's ass on both sides of the plate", plus he can locate like that with 4 different pitches. He's also ballsy, doesn't walk guys, and has a funky delivery that makes the FB seem faster.

If all goes well, he's a setup man: keeping guys off the base paths, stranding inherited runners with a high K total, and making the fireballing closer look like he's throwing that much faster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
so is Bachanov for real? Or just above his level?

Give him one more outing for Kanni before you give up on him. He flew out of Missoula MT at 6 am Friday morning and then pitched that night. You don't fly anywhere quick out of Montana so he had at least 6 hours of flying and layover, and that's on a quick day. I was told after the flight he had an hour drive from the airport to the field. If that ain't getting thrown into the fire I don't know what is.

QUOTE (gfbaseball @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
Give him one more outing for Kanni before you give up on him. He flew out of Missoula MT at 6 am Friday morning and then pitched that night. You don't fly anywhere quick out of Montana so he had at least 6 hours of flying and layover, and that's on a quick day. I was told after the flight he had an hour drive from the airport to the field. If that ain't getting thrown into the fire I don't know what is.

Oh I'm not giving up on him. I'm just trying to get a read on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Oh I'm not giving up on him. I'm just trying to get a read on him.

I guess we'll have to see how he does. In Great Falls he did good at keeping the ball down in the strike zone and getting ahead of the hitters. If he can continue to do that he should do good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Yeah I wrote that, needs updating.

I doubt he's a closer, or at least not a prototypical one. His fastball barely scrapes 90. He's done well because, as Buddy Bell put it, he can "hit a gnat's ass on both sides of the plate", plus he can locate like that with 4 different pitches. He's also ballsy, doesn't walk guys, and has a funky delivery that makes the FB seem faster.

If all goes well, he's a setup man: keeping guys off the base paths, stranding inherited runners with a high K total, and making the fireballing closer look like he's throwing that much faster.

Not really that funky.

QUOTE (gfbaseball @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I guess we'll have to see how he does. In Great Falls he did good at keeping the ball down in the strike zone and getting ahead of the hitters. If he can continue to do that he should do good.

The Sox have had really good luck rescuing other people's first round picks. Hopefully that keeps up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
The Sox have had really good luck rescuing other people's first round picks. Hopefully that keeps up.

Two good outings in a row for Bachanov at Kanni, 2.2 innings pitched combined with no hits allowed and 3 Ks, hopefully he keeps things rolling.