White Sox vs Cubs First Pitch 3:10 CT

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
That's not a realistic alternative.

Sure it is. He's actually getting worse. He was not this bad in April. Something is wrong with him. People get shut down all the time. He's not doing anybody any good. He'll still get paid.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
I think it's clear Humber has turned a corner. Now, I don't think he will be a sub-3.00 ERA guy, but he should be mid-rotation type for this team for the foreseeable future.

I'm not convinced of this year. He'd have to perform well into next season at a similar level for me to believe he's this good.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Not a real sub-3.00 ERA pitcher? Are you saying he's a fluke? I don't get it. He's got a 2.69 ERA. I'd say that's true enough for me.

Maybe fluke wasn't the right term. Do I think he's a 2.69 ERA, .98 WHIP or whatever it is caliber? No. Do I think he can't be serviceable? I'm not sure yet. He could be. But there's no past history to gauge this on. Only that he was a top pick almost 8 years ago. This isn't like Strasburg or Pineda coming up in their early 20's and dominating right away.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
Maybe fluke wasn't the right term. Do I think he's a 2.69 ERA, .98 WHIP or whatever it is caliber? No. Do I think he can't be serviceable? I'm not sure yet. He could be. But there's no past history to gauge this on. Only that he was a top pick almost 8 years ago. This isn't like Strasburg or Pineda coming up in their early 20's and dominating right away.

Really, there's a couple years in there extra...but this is the Gavin Floyd story repeated. Top flight pick, comes up and never gets consistent performances, becomes known as a head case, comes to the Sox, and snaps out of it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Sure it is. He's actually getting worse. He was not this bad in April. Something is wrong with him. People get shut down all the time. He's not doing anybody any good. He'll still get paid.

If you're "Shutting Dunn Down" it needs to somehow be via the Dl.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm not convinced of this year. He'd have to perform well into next season at a similar level for me to believe he's this good.

Well I don't think he is this good, either. He is pitching as a top six or seven pitcher in the AL right now, which I don't think he is. His advanced stats say he is due for some regression. But I truly believe he is 12-15 game winner with a 3.75-4.00 ERA. And that is fine with me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Really, there's a couple years in there extra...but this is the Gavin Floyd story repeated. Top flight pick, comes up and never gets consistent performances, becomes known as a head case, comes to the Sox, and snaps out of it.

All I'm saying is I'm not convinced yet. But I will fully admit I've been wrong about him to this point. Now let's win this damn game.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Well I don't think he is this good, either. He is pitching as a top six or seven pitcher in the AL right now, which I don't think he is. His advanced stats say he is due for some regression. But I truly believe he is 12-15 game winner with a 3.75-4.00 ERA. And that is fine with me.

That'd be more than fine for me. That'd be excellent. Just saying I'm not sure of this yet. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
I know I'm late on this, but why was Garza yelling at Beckham when he walked earlier inthe game? Because he called timeout on a 2-2 count? Grow up, Matt.

He spent most of that inning yelling at the ump then got several fairly close calls on Dunn to go his way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
He's not a contact guy, and its hard to be sharp if you play as little as he does, plus when he does play a lot he's really not that good.

it's funny that KW was so enamored with the guy based on how he used to hit at the cell vs. the sox.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
I know I'm late on this, but why was Garza yelling at Beckham when he walked earlier inthe game? Because he called timeout on a 2-2 count? Grow up, Matt.

I saw that and I thought he was telling him he got lucky that he should have been called out on strikes. Whatever, that's who scored the run.