Does Jackson Get Dealt Before Deadline No Matter What?

Marty34

I can see Jackson being dealt by the deadline for something for next year regardless of where we are in the standings. Keep an eye on Addison Reed because I think he's the guy they're looking at as the righty help for the bullpen. As far as Jackson, what do you think his value would be? I'm looking at the top 4 teams in the NL Central as possibilities. Hope that race stays tight.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I can see Jackson being dealt by the deadline for something for next year regardless of where we are in the standings. Keep an eye on Addison Reed because I think he's the guy they're looking at as the righty help for the bullpen. As far as Jackson, what do you think his value would be? I'm looking at the top 4 teams in the NL Central as possibilities. Hope that race stays tight.

Hard to deal Jackson considering how prone to injury Jake has been.

If Jake Peavy stays healthy, I can definitely see Edwin Jackson being dealt, but that probably also comes down to the team's standing in the division and Jackson's performance. If he suddenly becomes dominant over the next 2 months, they will probably ride his hot pitching and keep him. If the Sox continue to hang around .500, stay about 5 games back, I could Williams moving him for the best available prospect to help next season and he can still claim he's making the current team better by returning to a normal five man rotation.

If anyone goes its him. Salary has to be cut. But if he doesn't go it's because KW won't be able to get anywhere near what he gave up for him. He can always say we were in the middle of the pennant race and couldn't afford to give up pitching. So Kenny's got his bases covered, so to speak , no matter what.

Not only Peavy, but you have to wonder about Danks' oblique and Humber's fortune not continuing forever.

Right now, it's pretty far from unclear whether they'd even risk offering arbitration for the possibility of a Type B pick. I don't think many Sox fans would be too comfortable with the idea that "accidentally" retaining Jackson for 2012 meant they had to give up Buehrle or Danks. With Boras as his agent, you'd think he should be able to get more than $8.5 million from another team, but I'm not sure which team that would be...certainly not with how he's pitched the last couple of months.

Of course, it all depends on what the current organizational thinking on Sale is, too.

Depending on where things stand at the trade deadline,and the Sox are right in it, I'd like to see him, or someone dealt for Scott Rolen. Their salaries match up and even though Morel has been ok, I'd much rather have Rolen and his glove, bat, and attitude in a pennant race. It's not a knock on Morel but Rolen brings alot more to the table. I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Sox.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 04:52 AM)
Depending on where things stand at the trade deadline,and the Sox are right in it, I'd like to see him, or someone dealt for Scott Rolen. Their salaries match up and even though Morel has been ok, I'd much rather have Rolen and his glove, bat, and attitude in a pennant race. It's not a knock on Morel but Rolen brings alot more to the table. I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Sox.

Why would the Reds deal him? Who would they play at that position?

Doesn't he only have 4 homers this year?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
Why would the Reds deal him? Who would they play at that position?

Doesn't he only have 4 homers this year?

not only that, rolen is usually good for a minimum 30 day stay on the dl

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 04:52 AM)

Oh my I would be very disappointed in such a deal. Rolen has some tremendously shady shoulders that have put him off and on the DL the last several years, and on the brink more often than not.

I realize Rolen brings a bit more pop right now, but coming down the stretch, when he's hurting even more then after having played more games, I am not sure that will still be the case.

So I just can't see giving up a valuable asset for something that is basically redundant, especially with our SP experiencing injuries as of late.

Even if Peavy has not been injured in 3 weeks, can you really pronounce him as being "healthy" at that point, given that he was injured at the beginning of the year, injured again in June, and has been injured each of the last two years? And as Caufield pointed out, who knows how Danks will be recovering from his oblique injury, especially considering that is an injury that tends to linger? And what if Humber wears down? What are you really going to gain by trading Edwin that is going to help you going forward?

The risk/reward doesn't seem anywhere close to worth it to me...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
The risk/reward doesn't seem anywhere close to worth it to me...

That's just it. Short of a major hole in the lineup due to injury, it's really hard to see what the Sox could get from trading Jackson that would help the team win this season.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
That's just it. Short of a major hole in the lineup due to injury, it's really hard to see what the Sox could get from trading Jackson that would help the team win this season.

I don't think they would make a trade like this until July 31st so they would only have to go 2 months with the current 5 starters, and could potentially go to a 4 man rotation in September if Peavy were to get sidelined again. They also wouldn't trade Jackson unless Peavy finishes July healthy and with the 6 man rotation, the White Sox could argue that the rotation is actually more prepared for success down the stretch due to the extra rest from the 6 man rotation along with getting the remaining 5 starters (post Jackson) back in a regular rhythm.

As I said before, though, I think the Sox would only pull the trigger on a trade like this if they continue to stay about where they are now, about .500, maybe 5 games back.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)

If the White Sox trade Jackson, it's got to be a for a young player. If the player is already contributing in the majors that's ok, but I don't want an aging veteran - the whole idea of trading Jackson is that a team desperate for another starter (and I have to think Jackson would be on the better options on the market) is to acquire the best available prospect to help for the future. Ideally, that prospect is another pitching prospect, but I'm not going to turn down an good offensive prospect.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 03:39 AM)
Not only Peavy, but you have to wonder about Danks' oblique and Humber's fortune not continuing forever.

Right now, it's pretty far from unclear whether they'd even risk offering arbitration for the possibility of a Type B pick. I don't think many Sox fans would be too comfortable with the idea that "accidentally" retaining Jackson for 2012 meant they had to give up Buehrle or Danks. With Boras as his agent, you'd think he should be able to get more than $8.5 million from another team, but I'm not sure which team that would be...certainly not with how he's pitched the last couple of months.

Of course, it all depends on what the current organizational thinking on Sale is, too.

I don't think there's any chance that Jackson is back next season unless he becomes Cy Young in the 2nd half of the season.

For next season, I still think they are going to resign Buerhle to go with Danks, Floyd, Humber (assuming he's able to remain a solid option) and Peavy with Sale possibly taking a starting role if the Sox decide to move Danks or Floyd in the off-season which I'm not sure they'd do if they are concerned about Peavy's health and Humber having a repeat season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Edwin Jackson won't get traded and if he was on the block who and what do yo ask i return for the guy? And don't give me the dumping salary line either please,

He probably won't be traded, but I would understand if the White Sox did move him the 31st of this month. In return, I'd want the best available minor league prospect (perhaps a young player who has already broken into the majors). The Sox wouldn't necessarily be dumping him because of salary although that would be a benefit of a trade with 2 months left in the season.

I just can't see KW giving up Hudson for 1+ year of Jackson, it would drive him nuts. I think Jackson gets dealt for a prospect. Now, what type of prospect, I don't know. Wandy Rodriguez is the best starter I've heard who might be available. Jeremy Guthrie too ....

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I just can't see KW giving up Hudson for 1+ year of Jackson, it would drive him nuts. I think Jackson gets dealt for a prospect. Now, what type of prospect, I don't know. Wandy Rodriguez is the best starter I've heard who might be available. Jeremy Guthrie too ....

I don't know that they will get anyone's A level prospect, but I think it's possible to get a B level prospect in return for Jackson.