Sox/Royals 7/4 - Sox gain independence from being under .500

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
With a runner on base and the pitcher on or astride (with one leg on each side of) the rubber, it is a balk[2] when the pitcher:

switches his pitching position from the windup to the set (or vice versa) without properly disengaging the rubber;

while on the rubber, makes a motion associated with his pitch and does not complete the delivery;

when pitching from the set position, fails to make a complete stop with his hands together before beginning to pitch;

throws from the mound to a base without stepping toward (gaining distance in the direction of) that base;

throws or feints a throw from the rubber to an unoccupied base, unless a play is imminent;

steps or feints from the rubber to first base without completing the throw;

delivers a quick return, a pitch thrown right after receiving the ball back, with intent to catch the batter off-guard;

drops the ball while on the rubber, even if by accident, if the ball does not subsequently cross a foul line;

while intentionally walking a batter, releases a pitch while the catcher is out of his box with one or both feet (rarely enforced);

unnecessarily delays the game (rarely enforced);

pitches while facing away from the batter;

after bringing his hands together on the rubber, separates them except in making a pitch or a throw;

stands on or astride the rubber without the ball, or mimics a pitch without the ball; or

throws to first when the first baseman, because of his distance from the base, is unable to make a play on the runner there.

I was at the game and when I saw him go to the full wind up something seemed wrong, then the home plate umpire started jumping up and down pointing. It didn't look like he stepped off when he switched. Was that what he called?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
I was at the game and when I saw him go to the full wind up something seemed wrong, then the home plate umpire started jumping up and down pointing. It didn't look like he stepped off when he switched. Was that what he called?

he leaned forward like he was going into his set, then stepped off

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Whatever he did, try trying to explain a balk to your wife. I think I'd rather go to the ballet with her.

The only reason I know what was called is because of what Hawk and Stone pointed out. It was really a slight move, I watched the replay and still thought it was iffy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
The only reason I know what was called is because of what Hawk and Stone pointed out. It was really a slight move, I watched the replay and still thought it was iffy.

One of those that if the opposition does it, Hawk sees its clearly a balk, but if it were a White Sox pitcher, he'd think its BS? Something did seem off when it happened.

It was academic. Dunn would have drove home AJ anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

The Angels' announcers were just debating if the balk-off has to be the most boring ending to a game in all the four professional sports.

Hard to argue anything else. Wild pitch has to be more exciting. Even a ground rule double scoring a run or the umpires waving in a runner on fan interference would seem better. Walking in a runner with bases loaded would probably be 2nd worst.

AJ's play against the Angels in 2005 in the ALCS wasn't boring. It wasn't "walk-off" there, but it felt like it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
The Angels' announcers were just debating if the balk-off has to be the most boring ending to a game in all the four professional sports.

Hard to argue anything else. Wild pitch has to be more exciting. Even a ground rule double scoring a run or the umpires waving in a runner on fan interference would seem better. Walking in a runner with bases loaded would probably be 2nd worst.

AJ's play against the Angels in 2005 in the ALCS wasn't boring. It wasn't "walk-off" there, but it felt like it.

Its far from it, in my opinion. All of the time based sports have worse endings that drag on forever.

Like, downing the ball in football or fouling for the last three minutes in basketball.

Its not even the most boring in baseball, either in my opinion. Much more exciting than watching a team go 1-2-3 down by 16 runs.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Its far from it, in my opinion. All of the time based sports have worse endings that drag on forever.

Like, downing the ball in football or fouling for the last three minutes in basketball.

Its not even the most boring in baseball, either in my opinion. Much more exciting than watching a team go 1-2-3 down by 16 runs.

I think they meant for an ending to a "tie" contest in any major sport to award victory to one team or the other.

Yes, I realize some sports like soccer or hockey can end in ties (before the playoffs).

Edited by caulfield12