Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Yep, I know we've seen the Phillies have have been looking for a RH power-hitter in the outfield for the better part of the season now.

Phillies have some strong pitching prospects on their Clearwater team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
Phillies have some strong pitching prospects on their Clearwater team.

IF we give up and move people, trying to steal names from A-ball is the move I'd be the biggest fan of. It'd take 2+ years to really pay off...but that's where the biggest payoffs can be, because teams are more willing to move guys when they're still that low in a system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
But it's Kenny Williams, and he tried to get Sanchez when he offered Crede to the Giants.

I know, but even then, it's such a poor, poor fit. If you're selling on Carlos, you need long-term guys, a pitcher who would fill the 7th starter spot right now and 6th starter spot next year does none of those.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
I know, but even then, it's such a poor, poor fit. If you're selling on Carlos, you need long-term guys, a pitcher who would fill the 7th starter spot right now and 6th starter spot next year does none of those.

We aren't going to have that many starters next year. If we do bring Buehrle back, someone else will go to make room for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
We aren't going to have that many starters next year. If we do bring Buehrle back, someone else will go to make room for him.

As of now:

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

If you trade for Sanchez, you're adding starter 7 for this year and starter 6 for next year. Your response of course will be "But they'll just trade Danks", which is of course possible, but that still makes dealing for a starter a foolish move because it compels the Sox to trade Danks, rather than allowing them to wait for a good offer.

And then of course there's still plenty of reason to think that M-56 will get an offer from the Sox to come back.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
If you send Quentin to the Braves for Beachy and another SP prospect, you can then turn around and ship two of the 7 seven starting pitchers on the roster to Houston for Bourn and another prospect or to the NYY for Gardner and a prospect. The Yankees may take Pierre back to be a fourth OF and pinch runner the rest of the season.

You are not really replacing Quentin with Bourn, you are replacing him with Viciedo and replacing Pierre with Bourn, and that helps us a lot. At the same time you can set your rotation for the rest of the season and next season.

The trade that you describe is essentially Quentin for Bourne. Quentin is a much better hitter than Bourne (Bourne sports a mighty .351 obp in his CAREER YEAR). That is not an even trade by any means. Next year, his slap hits won't get through the infield as often.

Bourne has a career OBP of .335 with 11 homers. That's Podsednik. Quentin for that? Please!

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
As of now:

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

If you trade for Sanchez, you're adding starter 7 for this year and starter 6 for next year. Your response of course will be "But they'll just trade Danks", which is of course possible, but that still makes dealing for a starter a foolish move because it compels the Sox to trade Danks, rather than allowing them to wait for a good offer.

And then of course there's still plenty of reason to think that M-56 will get an offer from the Sox to come back.

I'm not convinced Sale is going to be a starter enxt year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
The trade that you describe is essentially Quentin for Bourne. Quentin is a much better hitter than Bourne (Bourne sports a mighty .351 obp in his CAREER YEAR). That is not an even trade by any means. Next year, his slap hits won't get through the infield as often.

Bourne has a career OBP of .335 with 11 homers. That's Podsednik. Quentin for that? Please!

Also, Bourn hits FA at the same time as Quentin, so there's little benefit in contract sense as well.

CQ for a couple young ML ready SPs allows us to trade Jackson for prospects this year and let MB walk (maybe for draft pick comp) at the end of the season. Pierre walks, Viciedo promoted, and then we have a few bucks to sign Pierre's replacement. Or maybe flip the Jackson prospects for Bourn or something.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
CQ for a couple young ML ready SPs allows us to trade Jackson for prospects this year and let MB walk (maybe for draft pick comp) at the end of the season. Pierre walks, Viciedo promoted, and then we have a few bucks to sign Pierre's replacement. Or maybe flip the Jackson prospects for Bourn or something.

Bourn really doesn't help us. I might be more open if he wasn't a 2013 Free Agent...he won't be extremely cheap next year as its his last arbitration year, and then he's a free agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Bourn really doesn't help us. I might be more open if he wasn't a 2013 Free Agent...he won't be extremely cheap next year as its his last arbitration year, and then he's a free agent.

Well, he helps us a lot for next year, which is probably the last of our current contention window.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

Yeah, because we all know getting Podsednik was a horses*** acquisition.

I don't really get the excitement over Bourn. His career best (this year) OPS is .746. Sure he's more of a prototypical "leadoff" hitter, but he doesn't get on base all that much, and he doesn't have much power. He's a nice player to have, but I wouldn't want the Sox giving up much for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
I fear a Quentin for J. Sanchez trade

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
We already traded for a guy with great stuff and control issues last summer. No thanks.

Furthermore I saw a Sanchez start on ESPN last month, and he has lost about 6-7 mph off of the fastball. He was consistently throwing 87-89 rather than the 93-95 that we're used to out of him. He seems to have gone the way of Oliver Perez. KW should be fired if he makes that trade.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I don't really get the excitement over Bourn. His career best (this year) OPS is .746. Sure he's more of a prototypical "leadoff" hitter, but he doesn't get on base all that much, and he doesn't have much power. He's a nice player to have, but I wouldn't want the Sox giving up much for him.

It's a repeat of Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik for people who ignore the salary and contract details.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)

OPS is not the right statistic to measure a guy like Bourn. His OBP's from the last three years are 354, 341, 351, with SBs of 61, 52, 35. He also has 20+ doubles eery year, and will have 30+ this year. Those numbers, from a guy that can play above average CF, I'll take any day on this White Sox team. It's time to replace Pierre with a real table-setter, and if it means trading CQ for Viciedo, I think it's well worth it, both in terms of the performances and the finances.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
OPS is not the right statistic to measure a guy like Bourn. His OBP's from the last three years are 354, 341, 351, with SBs of 61, 52, 35. He also has 20+ doubles eery year, and will have 30+ this year. Those numbers, from a guy that can play above average CF, I'll take any day on this White Sox team. It's time to replace Pierre with a real table-setter, and if it means trading CQ for Viciedo, I think it's well worth it, both in terms of the performances and the finances.

Like I said, he's a nice player, but despite the speed (stolen bases), I would really prefer a leadoff guy with an OBP better than that. As Balta mentioned before, it "feels" like another Lee for Podsednik, but it really doesn't make any sense for the Sox to do this.