7/5 Sox v. Royals

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did some historical checking and found that on July 5th, since I came into this world the Sox are 29-28 on my birthday. I want this win to keep me over .500!!! :gosox1:

Note: The 70's (Stone Pony pitched 3 times on my birthday going 1-2) were bad, as were the 2000's. !987 was the best, Sox won 17-0.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

I almost started my first thread cause I'm off work today and nobody had started one

Good job starting it.

Go SOX!

I plan on watching this game on KC-TV, not MLB.

I'm in a 'love Jake Peavy' period in the season. I've been in 'hate Jake' mode before.

Hope he keeps it going.

Only major changes.

Lillibridge for Rios in CF (batting 7th) and Alex Gordon back into the Royals' line-up in the 3 hole.

SOUND FAMILIAR??

When one looks at the 2011 Detroit Tigers, one sees a team of stark extremes. Detroit possesses four of the top 25 position players in the AL by wins above replacement (WAR) in Jhonny Peralta, Miguel Cabrera, Alex Avila and Brennan Boesch. They also have the third-best pitcher in the league by WAR, Justin Verlander. Yet the Tigers are only a few games above .500 and in second place in a weak AL Central.

Looking at Detroit's starting lineup, it's striking to see the gulf between the players that are contributing and the players that aren't. With the players mentioned above and Victor Martinez's bat, the Tigers offense should rank higher than fifth in the AL in runs scored. But that is where it stands, thanks to Magglio Ordonez, Ryan Raburn, Ramon Santiago and Brandon Inge, all of whom have an OPS below .600.

Just how impressive is the size of the gulf in the lineup between the performers and the non-performers on a historical level? To examine this, I looked at every team going back to 1901 and took the eight most frequent starters for every team (nine for DH-era American Leaguers). I went with a simple measure of disparity and compared every lineup's top-four and bottom-four hitters to see which lineups in history were the most polarized. To keep things simple, I used OPS.

www.espn.com/mlb

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, the Yankees had a play on a pop-up by Chisenhall in the 7th yesterday or they would have kept their 2-0. Instead, they went down 4-2.

Granderson continuing to kill the ball, another homer. Jeter 4 away from 3000 with 2 hits.

Carlos Carrasco had been pitching exceptionally well the last month.

Paulino's slider at 89 MPH, 3 miles faster than Francis' FB. 95-99 MPH in that first inning...that gun has to be at least 3 mph fast.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Paulino has dynamite stuff, we just can't help him out. Morel swinging at two pitches at his shoulders is not wise.

I'm drawing a total blank. What the hell did the Royals give up to get him? Paulino has always been one of those 'saber' studs who's standard numbers always suck.

Hosmer seeming to take exception to Peavy's politicking for the 3rd strike with the home plate umpire.

Vizquel should have taken the out at 3rd and it would be 2 outs, 1st and 2nd.

Oh, well. You need to score at least one run anyway. Doubt it will end up 1-0 with the wind blowing out and 85 degrees.