Golfing Thread

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
It was a par 3, but even still, I don't get pars much at all.

I'm usually getting 6's and 7's on holes, which while not great, isn't terrible IMO. If I could not 3 putt almost everything, I'd be in better shape. I have zero clue how to judge hitting long putts, just to try for a 2 putt.

Well that and me aiming at more than a 45 degree angle to the left off the tee so my crazy slice finds the fairway.

I used to have that slice. I then got the greatest golf tip of all-time which helped me fix it. 300 yard drives happen a lot for me now. It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

Assuming you are a righty, when holding your club raise your left shoulder. A lot. You should raise your left shoulder until when you naturally release your right hand it falls straight back away from your target.

Try it out. Do your normal stance and release your right hand and I bet anything it comes back towards you. Let it naturally fall, don't force it. That s*** might even hit your leg. Guess what, that means your s***'s f***ed.

So raise your lead shoulder until that hand falls straight back away from the f***ing target. It'll be uncomfortable at first, but once you get your swing down with that s***, you'll be asking me my address so you can properly thank me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I used to have that slice. I then got the greatest golf tip of all-time which helped me fix it. 300 yard drives happen a lot for me now. It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

Assuming you are a righty, when holding your club raise your left shoulder. A lot. You should raise your left shoulder until when you naturally release your right hand it falls straight back away from your target.

Try it out. Do your normal stance and release your right hand and I bet anything it comes back towards you. Let it naturally fall, don't force it. That s*** might even hit your leg. Guess what, that means your s***'s f***ed.

So raise your lead shoulder until that hand falls straight back away from the f***ing target. It'll be uncomfortable at first, but once you get your swing down with that s***, you'll be asking me my address so you can properly thank me.

I remember you talking about this before, but I couldn't figure it out. I will try exactly as you say next time I'm out there, or at least grab a club here and try to figure it out. You're right, it is hard to explain/figure out. It just feels awkward and like "wtf am I doing."

So it's just raising the shoulder? I'm not shifting at the hips or anything? And then keep said shoulder high throughout the swing?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
I remember you talking about this before, but I couldn't figure it out. I will try exactly as you say next time I'm out there, or at least grab a club here and try to figure it out. You're right, it is hard to explain/figure out. It just feels awkward and like "wtf am I doing."

So it's just raising the shoulder? I'm not shifting at the hips or anything? And then keep said shoulder high throughout the swing?

A slice is a couple of things. One you are probably swinging too steep from outside to inside. You can still hit irons this way. Second the club face is open at impact. The easiest fix would be to take a look at your grip and also forcing you to rotate a bit more on your backswing and aim for the inside of the ball.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)

Normal golf stance. Raise front shoulder until your right hand falls NATURALLY straight back. I've actually learned to force my arms straight back and get a ton of power. With practice makes perfect. We could always shoot 9 and grab a beer at some point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Normal golf stance. Raise front shoulder until your right hand falls NATURALLY straight back. I've actually learned to force my arms straight back and get a ton of power. With practice makes perfect. We could always shoot 9 and grab a beer at some point.

So what Steve is doing here is trying to force you not to be able to come across the ball instead aiming the swing more towards the outside.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
So what Steve is doing here is trying to force you not to be able to come across the ball instead aiming the swing more towards the outside.

Exactly, it's a forced correction that teaches you proper mechanics over time. Eventually, it feels natural. None of us are Tiger Woods, but this has really helped me eradicate any slice on drives and get sick, consistent distance.

I'm guessing part of this stems from me playing so much baseball as a kid, and just recently picking up golf last few years, casually.

Rock now I think I understand the concept, at least somewhat...one of these days I'll hit the range instead of the course and hit 500 ball until it's not as bad. I bet if I saw it on video I'd be like "holy f***, that looks awful"

Steve, I actually come out by you to play with snb sometimes, so this wouldn't be too hard to arrange. Plus, we both like beer.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm guessing part of this stems from me playing so much baseball as a kid, and just recently picking up golf last few years, casually.

Rock now I think I understand the concept, at least somewhat...one of these days I'll hit the range instead of the course and hit 500 ball until it's not as bad. I bet if I saw it on video I'd be like "holy f***, that looks awful"

Steve, I actually come out by you to play with snb sometimes, so this wouldn't be too hard to arrange. Plus, we both like beer.

k, just holler next time you are playing and I'll see if it works.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

What helped me go from slice to draw and much better off the tee was a concept called the simple golf swing. It helped me start swinging from the inside. I could probably send you a sharefile to the book and vids.

Spending the weekend in SW Michigan with the family so my dad and I went out yesterday for 9 holes. Holy s***, finally found a swing that has corrected the slice by a TON. I knew I inside-outed the ball a lot before, so I've been trying to correct that, but I finally got it to start working consistently and actually feeling good as I swing through. Fairly straight shots and closer to the distances that I would expect. On top of that, my new irons are starting to feel a lot better, I pretty much made solid contact on 80% of my hits.

Decided to go out to a driving range today to continue to work on both, kept feeling great. Suddenly, this game makes so much more sense :D

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Finally fixed the little duck hook thats been plaguing my driver, now a little on the fade side which I hate but it will naturally come back to my bread and butter draw. Now just give me some nice hot weather please.

You know when that happens your short game will then go to s*** :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
You know when that happens your short game will then go to s*** :)

No, my irons will. My short game is consistent actually, I am a good putter. My irons and Driver never seem to be on the same page. For example ill start striping my irons dead straight with a great ball flight path and my driver will start duck hooking with top spin.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
No, my irons will. My short game is consistent actually, I am a good putter. My irons and Driver never seem to be on the same page. For example ill start striping my irons dead straight with a great ball flight path and my driver will start duck hooking with top spin.

Yep, it's always something...

Aggravated my back two weeks ago and haven't been able to play yet this year. Its killing me because I couldn't play at all last year.

Want to go to the driving range this week but its suppose to rain all week.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 19, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
Aggravated my back two weeks ago and haven't been able to play yet this year. Its killing me because I couldn't play at all last year.

Want to go to the driving range this week but its suppose to rain all week.

Me too. I have an old injury from a pinched nerve that I got while being kicked in the back by someone wearing boots.

Today is the first day off I have had since I hurt it so I hope it heals up.

I went a couple weeks ago to Indian Boundary, a forest preserve course near O'Hare. It's a decent course, nothing special, but wow is it great when no one else is on the course. I played the front 9 with a small group and then played the back 9 on my own. I ended up playing about 16 holes on the back nine (and 2-3 balls each hole) because of the way the course is laid out. You can play a few holes and then take a 5 second drive over to a prior tee box and play them again. I did that twice in 2 places. Had a cigar, a few tall boys, and jammed out to some Spotify on my phone. It was great.

Edited by Jenksismybitch