Golfing Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 20, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
I went a couple weeks ago to Indian Boundary, a forest preserve course near O'Hare. It's a decent course, nothing special, but wow is it great when no one else is on the course. I played the front 9 with a small group and then played the back 9 on my own. I ended up playing about 16 holes on the back nine (and 2-3 balls each hole) because of the way the course is layed out. You can play a few holes and then take a 5 second drive over to a prior tee box and play them again. I did that twice in 2 places. Had a cigar, a few tall boys, and jammed out to some Spotify on my phone. It was great.

I'll have to check that place out, I'm not to far from there.

I played Columbus Park GC yesterday, a nice fun, easy course. My dad grew up playing there so we go at least once a year even though it's about 40 mins away for each of us.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 20, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
I went a couple weeks ago to Indian Boundary, a forest preserve course near O'Hare. It's a decent course, nothing special, but wow is it great when no one else is on the course. I played the front 9 with a small group and then played the back 9 on my own. I ended up playing about 16 holes on the back nine (and 2-3 balls each hole) because of the way the course is laid out. You can play a few holes and then take a 5 second drive over to a prior tee box and play them again. I did that twice in 2 places. Had a cigar, a few tall boys, and jammed out to some Spotify on my phone. It was great.

Those CC forest preserve courses are decent for the price. But if you play when the weather gets warm, bring some bug spray, cause you will get eaten alive near the forest.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/0...bout-moving-on/

OMG, now referring to fried chicken is racist. WTF.

Also, what a dumb "controversy." Who cares about a Garcia/Woods feud?

You since you posted about it?

I don't think referring to fried chicken is totally racist but the tone and context Sergio used was rather racist. Especially after the other golfer a few years ago used racist words about Tiger as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone bought clubs recently? I played with a buddy and some random 2-some this weekend and shot an 84, about average for me. Both of these guys were really good and commented that my clubs suck and that if I upgraded i'd easily shave a bunch of strokes off my average. I'm playing with an old TaylorMade Burner Bubble driver ($400 back in 1996-7) and a set of MacGregor clubs from the same time period without a 4 or 6 iron due to a couple of bad incidents with trees.

I only get out like 4-5 times a year, so I don't want to break the bank. I've seen that last year's taylormade set with graphite shafts are $400. And I can get a driver for $150-$250. Wondering if I should pull the trigger. There's a golfsmith store over in Downers Grove that will fit the clubs too. Anyone have this done before?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
Has anyone bought clubs recently? I played with a buddy and some random 2-some this weekend and shot an 84, about average for me. Both of these guys were really good and commented that my clubs suck and that if I upgraded i'd easily shave a bunch of strokes off my average. I'm playing with an old TaylorMade Burner Bubble driver ($400 back in 1996-7) and a set of MacGregor clubs from the same time period without a 4 or 6 iron due to a couple of bad incidents with trees.

I only get out like 4-5 times a year, so I don't want to break the bank. I've seen that last year's taylormade set with graphite shafts are $400. And I can get a driver for $150-$250. Wondering if I should pull the trigger. There's a golfsmith store over in Downers Grove that will fit the clubs too. Anyone have this done before?

Of course clubs make a difference, but for me it's just not worth an expensive set right now. I got a starter set for like $200 this winter. I'm purely a recreational golfer and don't golf every weekend.

I was using my Dad's old Ram set from like the 70's, pretty sweet. I've never once been on the course and thought "had I used an better quality club there, it would have been a better shot."

I just compare it to when I play hockey. Me with a $200 stick in my hands makes a difference in my shot, stickhandling, etc. The average Joe out there doesn't need that stick, he'd be better off using a $50 one because the results will be the same.

All this being said, you're much, much better than I am. If you're shooting an 84, you're probably at the point where the clubs will make a difference and help you out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
Of course clubs make a difference, but for me it's just not worth an expensive set right now. I got a starter set for like $200 this winter. I'm purely a recreational golfer and don't golf every weekend.

I was using my Dad's old Ram set from like the 70's, pretty sweet. I've never once been on the course and thought "had I used an better quality club there, it would have been a better shot."

I just compare it to when I play hockey. Me with a $200 stick in my hands makes a difference in my shot, stickhandling, etc. The average Joe out there doesn't need that stick, he'd be better off using a $50 one because the results will be the same.

All this being said, you're much, much better than I am. If you're shooting an 84, you're probably at the point where the clubs will make a difference and help you out.

Back in the day when I was 16 I was basically a scratch golfer, so with the decline in skill the upgrade in equipment should help. It's just been so long since I paid attention to clubs I don't know what's good anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Back in the day when I was 16 I was basically a scratch golfer, so with the decline in skill the upgrade in equipment should help. It's just been so long since I paid attention to clubs I don't know what's good anymore.

golfclubs1.jpg

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)

Ha, I still have a bubble 2 sitting in my office that I can smash.

I upgraded from an old set of callaways to a used set of ping irons about 2 years ago and it made a world of difference for me. However I dont buy into the equipment making the golfer better. Yeah I'm talking to all of you weekend warriors that went out and bought that white driver. I've seen one guy be able to hit that thing out of about 50.

Since you already hit the ball well I would bet new clubs will just alter your ball flight a bit so getting fit is probably a good idea. Do you hit blades? That driver upgrade may help you with distance and roll due to new technology but they all weigh differently nowadays so it takes alot of adjustment.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)

I upgraded from an old set of callaways to a used set of ping irons about 2 years ago and it made a world of difference for me. However I dont buy into the equipment making the golfer better. Yeah I'm talking to all of you weekend warriors that went out and bought that white driver. I've seen one guy be able to hit that thing out of about 50.

Since you already hit the ball well I would bet new clubs will just alter your ball flight a bit so getting fit is probably a good idea. Do you hit blades? That driver upgrade may help you with distance and roll due to new technology but they all weigh differently nowadays so it takes alot of adjustment.

Seconded. Definitely recommended, especially if you're not between 5'10"-6', I'd say.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)

I have cavity-back irons now. The graphite I wanted to make my swing a little faster. Apparently golfsmith will do a whole evaluation of your swing and recommend clubs. I'm sure that's partly to up sell you, but hopefully they can assist with real issues like length of the shaft and whether I should get different flex instead of standard.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I have cavity-back irons now. The graphite I wanted to make my swing a little faster. Apparently golfsmith will do a whole evaluation of your swing and recommend clubs. I'm sure that's partly to up sell you, but hopefully they can assist with real issues like length of the shaft and whether I should get different flex instead of standard.

IMO graphite shafts on irons are useless because swing speed is kind of negligible. The most important items for me was actually my grips when getting fitted. I like much thicker ones than come with the clubs.

I just bought new clubs from Golf Galaxy about two months ago. They did a swing analysis for me and the associate recommended five different iron sets based on what I said I would like to spend. I hit about 20 balls into the simulator with each set and I liked the G20s the most and went with those. He did the same thing for me for the driver and it just so happened that I liked the G20 as well. About 5 rounds later I am very happy with the clubs. I recently added a 55* Cobra Trusty Rusty (absolutely love it) and a 19* Cobra Amp Hybrid (used).

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I just bought new clubs from Golf Galaxy about two months ago. They did a swing analysis for me and the associate recommended five different iron sets based on what I said I would like to spend. I hit about 20 balls into the simulator with each set and I liked the G20s the most and went with those. He did the same thing for me for the driver and it just so happened that I liked the G20 as well. About 5 rounds later I am very happy with the clubs. I recently added a 55* Cobra Trusty Rusty (absolutely love it) and a 19* Cobra Amp Hybrid (used).

I love the way a Ping iron feels when you hit the ball square.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)

Did they charge you for the eval? Or was it free so long as you bought some clubs?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Did they charge you for the eval? Or was it free so long as you bought some clubs?

They did not charge me. The guy helping me was really good. He split up the purchase so I could use as many coupons as possible and threw in a free glove and like six sleeves.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
They did not charge me. The guy helping me was really good. He split up the purchase so I could use as many coupons as possible and threw in a free glove and like six sleeves.

Where'd you get the coupons? Maybe i'll check out that place first. Sounds like you had a good experience.

I shopped all winter and settled on Cobra Amps, I love them so far. I bought them new on Ebay for about $350, which was $150 cheaper than any store price (even though they were always "onsale").

And when it comes to graphite's on irons, I liked this comment from the evaluator at Golfsmith: "What pro do you see using graphite for their irons?"

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
I shopped all winter and settled on Cobra Amps, I love them so far. I bought them new on Ebay for about $350, which was $150 cheaper than any store price (even though they were always "onsale").

And when it comes to graphite's on irons, I liked this comment from the evaluator at Golfsmith: "What pro do you see using graphite for their irons?"

Some do, including Kuchar and Snedeker (http://golfweek.com/news/2013/feb/11/shaft-month-graphite-gains-momentum-irons/). I think the main thing is you can't feel the impact as much, and professionals use that to gauge how we'll they're striking the ball. I've tried a couple of graphite irons and I actually liked not feeling the contact as much. But it could be my s***ty shafts on 15 year old clubs.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)

The thing is, who here has a game like a pro? I agree, I think graphite shafts on irons is a bit ridiculous and for show, but that comment really is a bit foolish. How many pros use blades? Does that mean every weekend hack should use blades too?

I think it's important to have a nice set of equipment in any sport. Going from the crap level to the solid quality usually will both improve your results as well as your confidence and enjoyment of the game. But you reach a diminishing level of returns very quickly. Of course, no one in the golf industry wants to tell you this, because they want to take your money every year when that new driver or putter comes out.

I'm a pretty decent player about a 12 or so with a horrible short game, so I strike the ball pretty well for someone who might play 5-10 times a year. I've had two sets of irons and the same set of woods for about 15 years now. Once you get a reasonably nice set of equipment, the gains really need to come from practice, not spending more money on clubs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Some do, including Kuchar and Snedeker (http://golfweek.com/news/2013/feb/11/shaft-month-graphite-gains-momentum-irons/). I think the main thing is you can't feel the impact as much, and professionals use that to gauge how we'll they're striking the ball. I've tried a couple of graphite irons and I actually liked not feeling the contact as much. But it could be my s***ty shafts on 15 year old clubs.

My ping's have a rubber plug inside the shaft that deadens sting on off-center hits. Its phenomenal.

I've always had the issue of swinging and missing when I golf, this has been the first summer I've made it a point to hit the driving range and starting to work on my swing so I can at least be respectable when playing a course. I saw it mentioned a few posts back but I stand around 6'4 and I feel like taller clubs would help a lot but is it something I should do now or after taking some golf lessons and getting a more fluid swing first?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
I've always had the issue of swinging and missing when I golf, this has been the first summer I've made it a point to hit the driving range and starting to work on my swing so I can at least be respectable when playing a course. I saw it mentioned a few posts back but I stand around 6'4 and I feel like taller clubs would help a lot but is it something I should do now or after taking some golf lessons and getting a more fluid swing first?

I'm by no means an expert so do some poking around online, but it does make a difference. Otherwise you're either not striking the ball at the optimal point, or you're screwing up your swing by compensating to strike it well with a shorter club.

But the same caveat mentioned above applies here too -- if you play twice a year, it's not really worth it to buy a whole new set of clubs. But if you want to get a new set regardless, definitely look into to having them fitted.

EDIT: As to whether you should take lessons first or get new clubs first, my hunch would be the lessons. Then the pro can probably give you some advice on what to look for in clubs, too.

Edited by farmteam