Golfing Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Where'd you get the coupons? Maybe i'll check out that place first. Sounds like you had a good experience.

They were the Advantage Club coupons. I was not signed up for it yet, but he had a bunch at the register. Make sure you get signed up when you purchase (if you're not already). For every 300 points you get, you receive $10 store credit.

The GG I went to was in Durham, NC so I can't recommend any up in your neck of the woods, but yeah, it was an awesome experience.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Some do, including Kuchar and Snedeker (http://golfweek.com/news/2013/feb/11/shaft-month-graphite-gains-momentum-irons/). I think the main thing is you can't feel the impact as much, and professionals use that to gauge how we'll they're striking the ball. I've tried a couple of graphite irons and I actually liked not feeling the contact as much. But it could be my s***ty shafts on 15 year old clubs.

I just don't think they are normal for pro's, and I think that's telling especially when steel is the cheaper option.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
The thing is, who here has a game like a pro? I agree, I think graphite shafts on irons is a bit ridiculous and for show, but that comment really is a bit foolish. How many pros use blades? Does that mean every weekend hack should use blades too?

I think it's important to have a nice set of equipment in any sport. Going from the crap level to the solid quality usually will both improve your results as well as your confidence and enjoyment of the game. But you reach a diminishing level of returns very quickly. Of course, no one in the golf industry wants to tell you this, because they want to take your money every year when that new driver or putter comes out.

I'm a pretty decent player about a 12 or so with a horrible short game, so I strike the ball pretty well for someone who might play 5-10 times a year. I've had two sets of irons and the same set of woods for about 15 years now. Once you get a reasonably nice set of equipment, the gains really need to come from practice, not spending more money on clubs.

Foolish overall, probably, but I thought it had some reason to it. The thing with golf is that so many people's games are different that obviously there is no gospel to 1 perfect set of clubs. I just think that graphite in irons results in negligible or maybe even negative results compared to steels that the golfer likes.

And agreed, at some point most golfers need to realize that they should spend more time practicing and getting lessons compared to buying new clubs.

the American golfers need to get their act together - Losing the Ryder on home soil, Masters and now US. Hopefully itll turn around.

on a related note, golf has so many guys that are compelling to watch. 10-15 years ago, if it wasn't tiger it was boring. but now there are seriously so many guys that are fun to watch

• 3 weeks later...

Played for the first time in 2 years on Saturday morning. Drove the ball the best I have in my life, but couldn't make a putt over 5 feet and the greens were pretty beat up from the heat and the holiday players.

I've always struck the ball really well coming off long layoffs, and then I seem to pick up bad habits the more I play...anyone else like this?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
Played for the first time in 2 years on Saturday morning. Drove the ball the best I have in my life, but couldn't make a putt over 5 feet and the greens were pretty beat up from the heat and the holiday players.

I've always struck the ball really well coming off long layoffs, and then I seem to pick up bad habits the more I play...anyone else like this?

Yes, its happened to me. Means you have a pure comfortable swing but then begin to tinker due to multiple factors. If you could just harness that at the range it would help your game quite a bit. Everyone has the slotted swing that feels natural, you just have to find it.

Jordan Spieth FTW.

19 years old, earned his Tour card, trip to the Open this week, a Masters berth next year, 11th in FedEx Cup standings. Crazy thing is the kid had already earned $1.2 million this season before winning the John Deere. Might have quite the career in front of him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
Jordan Spieth FTW.

19 years old, earned his Tour card, trip to the Open this week, a Masters berth next year, 11th in FedEx Cup standings. Crazy thing is the kid had already earned $1.2 million this season before winning the John Deere. Might have quite the career in front of him.

Wow, didn't know that. That's impressive.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 06:03 AM)
Love The (British) Open because I can watch it early in the AM at work.

It's entertaining because it always just looks so miserable for the players. They aren't breathtaking courses like Augusta, but they can be so tough.

Tiger starts Sunday off horribly, but other than some "god damn it" on national TV he has kept his cool pretty well and could recover and win this thing after 9 holes. Or he'll continue to choke. No part of his game is looking good so far today.

Almost got into a fight on the course yesterday, heres what happened:

On one of the holes ive played before they decided to move the tees up, great. Its roughly 325 yards from tee to green so we decide to hit while people are putting (wind against us a bit, usually hit about 280). Both guys go before me and lay up roughly 60 yards short or so. Great. i step up and hit a nice drive and we are watching it expecting for it to drop right next to their drives. Next thing I know it drops right on the green next to a group that is finishing. I yell and wave my hand and drive up to apologize. I start profusely as soon as I get in ear shot and one of their group (4 asian gentlemen) just starts screaming at me. I keep saying sorry, we didnt see it going that far, really really sorry etc and he keeps telling me he doesnt want my apology as I shouldve yelled fore. I said well I didnt see it anywhere near you so thats why i didnt. He starts approaching me telling me what could have happened if he was hit. At this point i get out of my cart because it appears he wants to attack me. Now, im not the biggest guy but I run about 6'1" and 205 lbs and he's a smaller guy. So walks towards me and asks me if I would like to play in front of him so he could hit me, i explain that I didnt do it on purpose and there is a difference and once again I am sorry. He then gets closer, I think realizes he's a little outsized and starts to walk towards the next tee still screaming. i start laughing because his behavior is so ridiculous, he ask me if I think its funny. I explain that what I did wasnt and thats why I am apologizing but I DO think his behavior is funny. He then asks me if its my first time playing golf, I said yes, thats why i just drove a 325 yard green. He continues to scream all the way to the next tee and I just stare back at him smiling once again saying sorry, but lets be glad it wasnt worse.

It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I've been hit into in the same situation and if they apologize I am ok with it and frankly remark at how great a shot it was. I really thought it was going to be a fight and I think he thought for a second about it and then thought better of it.

Edited by RockRaines

Having worked at many golf courses, and I don't mean to profile, but Asians are the worst on courses. They are slow and inconsiderate. I enjoyed your story greatly.

I've caught them driving on greens, trying to negotiate fees, booking for 4 and showing up with 12, and even trying to play again without paying. I don't get it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Sounds like he has short man syndrome, but anyway congrats on the nice drive. I hope you at least got the 2-putt birdie.

Lipped the eagle putt and tapped the birdie, all while he was staring at me from the next tee box. Then I fist pumped.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
Having worked at many golf courses, and I don't mean to profile, but Asians are the worst on courses. They are slow and inconsiderate. I enjoyed your story greatly.

I've caught them driving on greens, trying to negotiate fees, booking for 4 and showing up with 12, and even trying to play again without paying. I don't get it.

And I think he thought maybe I did it on purpose because the ranger had just talked to them on the hole before. Who knows, it was hilarious after everything. I tried to be as nice as possible but this guy just wanted a fight at first for some reason. My friends were dying when I got out of the cart and he backed off.

Walked 18 holes today on a mostly par 3 golf course in Evanston (about 4-5 holes were Par 4). I absolutely sucked on the front 9, I just wasn't getting solid hits at all. The back 9 however I par'd 4 holes (2 of them par 4s). Felt good to finish the day strong on a really narrow golf course (which does not suit me well).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
Uhhh....Tiger is doing well

All eyes will be on him again this weekend. He's the best player in the world again, but he can't seal the deal in majors. Although he keeps finishing top 10, it's not like he is collapsing and missing cuts.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Walked 18 holes today on a mostly par 3 golf course in Evanston (about 4-5 holes were Par 4). I absolutely sucked on the front 9, I just wasn't getting solid hits at all. The back 9 however I par'd 4 holes (2 of them par 4s). Felt good to finish the day strong on a really narrow golf course (which does not suit me well).

Peter Jans or Frank Govern or whatever the hell they call it these days, the course right on the canal in Evanston and Wilmette?