Golfing Thread

Fresh Meadows is a bit far for me, used to play there a lot. I'm actually looking for mid-level courses now that I can afford them. Just never went to any near the city. I live in Logan Square, most of the courses I used to play were with my Dad around Oak Brook, which, is fine, but a bit far.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Fresh Meadows is a bit far for me, used to play there a lot. I'm actually looking for mid-level courses now that I can afford them. Just never went to any near the city. I live in Logan Square, most of the courses I used to play were with my Dad around Oak Brook, which, is fine, but a bit far.

Harborside and Lost Marsh are easily accessible because the Dan Ryan isnt all that bad. Up north I always liked Highland Park CC

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
I don't golf at the usual golfing times. I am more of a twilight golfer. I have gone to GWD probably 10 times from 12-5 and I have never had a 6 hour round. Some 5+ for sure though.

Im more of a 3 hour or less per round guy, anymore more and I get a bit annoyed these days.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Literally one of the reasons I joined a private club. I like to play fast whenever I want.

The private club experience is much different. But even on weekends most clubs have longer than normal pace of play. Our club was slow on the weekends because of all the fivesomes playing wolf. But brutal was the late morning tee times playing in 4:45 - 5:00 hours. Earlier times could be played quicker. We were certain to call early to book a time around 7:30 - 8:00.

What I really miss is the hanging around the practice area at lunch and after work. Always people I know, always a putting or pitching game to get in. $10 knock out was my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
I can't tell if this US Open course is awful or awesome

Your right on both counts: Awesome course; awful greens.

I wish the USGA would go back to playing the US Open on lush golf courses, instead of trying to stage the British Open here. That was two brown ones in a row after Pinehurst last year.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Your right on both counts: Awesome course; awful greens.

I wish the USGA would go back to playing the US Open on lush golf courses, instead of trying to stage the British Open here. That was two brown ones in a row after Pinehurst last year.

I loved it. It didnt look great on TV but the green quality was probably fine. There were a ton of red numbers on the board and the guys who complained were the ones who couldnt figure out iron shots, not putts. If people hated that course they are really going to hate Erin Hills.

Any suggestions for N/NW burbs? I've been going to Cranes Landing a bit, decent place and you can get 18 with a cart of about 3$0-35 after work.

My dad and I still go to Columbus Park occasionally since we both grew up playing it, I've never had that kind of issue with a packed course like you guys have had. I'll check out Indian Boundary later in the season, used to live real close to it and meant to check it out. Evanston has like a co-op course that's a good deal as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Any suggestions for N/NW burbs? I've been going to Cranes Landing a bit, decent place and you can get 18 with a cart of about 3$0-35 after work.

My dad and I still go to Columbus Park occasionally since we both grew up playing it, I've never had that kind of issue with a packed course like you guys have had. I'll check out Indian Boundary later in the season, used to live real close to it and meant to check it out. Evanston has like a co-op course that's a good deal as well.

How far? Up north i used to play Highland Park CC quite a bit and then by your office White Deer run and that Marriott course.

Northwest we've been hitting Poplar Creek and Hilldale GC. Eaglewood is a nice easy course in Itasca. Short irons all day but you need to be fairly accurate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
How far? Up north i used to play Highland Park CC quite a bit and then by your office White Deer run and that Marriott course.

Northwest we've been hitting Poplar Creek and Hilldale GC. Eaglewood is a nice easy course in Itasca. Short irons all day but you need to be fairly accurate.

Well somewhat close to 94 always helps since that's my commute route, Willow Run is ok but man is it windy there. And the Marriott is Crane's Landing which has been my go to lately.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Well somewhat close to 94 always helps since that's my commute route, Willow Run is ok but man is it windy there. And the Marriott is Crane's Landing which has been my go to lately.

Highland Park is right where 94 makes that big turn towards the merge with 294. Pretty good track and its on golfnow. Lots of trees but scorable.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it a jerk move to go to a golf course and just chip/putt on their practice green w/ no intention of playing the course?

I really just want to practice those 2 aspects of my game more than hitting the range.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
Is it a jerk move to go to a golf course and just chip/putt on their practice green w/ no intention of playing the course?

I really just want to practice those 2 aspects of my game more than hitting the range.

I'd say no. But even if it was, realistically, it's not like they'd know, especially at a muni or lower level public course. They don't have anyone manning the putting area. And worse case they just ask you to leave.

You might want to check some ranges. The good ones will have a putting green and some sand traps.

Go to fresh meadows and buy a small bucket and use theirs.

There is a small chip/put area on the driving range off of Lake Street just off the Elgin/Ohare express way as well if you wanted to be proper about it lol

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Johnson looks great for blowing a major on a three putt. Speith is also right there. Would be crazy if he won 3 majors in a row.

Tiger...yikes. Dude needs to retire already.

Tiger's swing is so bad its hard to watch. His head dips and he just chops at the ball.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
I am finally hitting the ball pretty well across the board except putting. I've learned how to play my slight (depending on wind) slice on my drive. I am only worried because I line up with the ball in front of my front foot. So my two questions are 1.) cheap tip for reducing slice? and 2.) what's the putting bible everyone swears by?

1) When my natural slice comes back, I try to really over emphasize the extension of my arms through the swing. A lot of amateurs who slice cut their swing short and bring their arms back towards their body way too quickly. To get an idea of what i'm talking about, for what you should try to do, check out the swings of Nicklaus and Colin Montgomery. They have a sort of scoop follow through. That sort of motion will force you to hit through the ball, not across the ball, which causes the slice.

2) Is your issue aim or pace? Pace just comes down to practice. Aim is usually a set up issue. Make you're you're creating a good triangle with your hands, arms and shoulders. Make sure you're only rotating with your shoulders, not your wrists. For aiming I've done the opposite-Jordan Speith move: for a 5-7 foot putt he normally just looks at the hole the entire time. I do the complete opposite if my aim/set up is wrong. I never move my eyes from the ball area. I take my putt and try to visualize that straight line through the ball. I'm not concerned with where the ball ends up, just how my back swing and follow through look. Grab another club, place the shaft parallel to the putting line, and do that routine for a while. You'll know if you're going straight back and following through the ball as you should be.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

My slice fix is to make sure my chest and arms are connected in the back swing and then I bite my shoulder and aim for the inside of the ball. Keeping the clubhead low helps me when I come down too steep.

For putting, i barely put my right hand on the grip at all. I place the palm on the grip for my practice swings and then lightly wrap my ring finger around it while putting. It helps keep my shoulders connected and my wrists from getting engaged which stops me from yanking the putts. I always visualize the ball path I am trying to hit, then aim the club face, then set up my grip and try to hit through the ball on the already aimed line.