Golfing Thread

I am creating a first and second year curriculum for my high school golf team. Basically I need some structure so the players understand what they should be working on at each practice and a way to track their progress. It also allows me to automate the process from the players moving from our 9 hole cheap beginner tournaments to our expensive 36 hole country club tournaments.

As a first year player what I have is a way to "earn your clubs" using TopGolf as an objective measuring tool. Basically hit 3/5 on the fly to the target without a serious miss*** and you can "put that club in your bag". They need to accomplish this on three different occasions with the last one being under the observation of a coach. Not so much as a trust issue but to ramp up the pressure just a bit.

I have a rules section. Basically understand playing the ball as it lies through the green. Boundary markings, white, red, yellow, and how to play accordingly, where to tee off from, how to mark your ball, etc. I also have etiquette and expectations sections. Finally a "habits" section. Setting up your work area when you get to the ball. Our pre-shot routine I teach all the players, keeping your clubs clean, etc. And finally terminology so they understand what we are talking about. "Taking it outside the line, up in the stance, etc.

I will ramp stuff up for the second year players.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After fading to mid pack in the regional tournament my top player sees the difference between low 80s and low 70s shot making. She arrives within 30 yards of the green better than almost anyone in the region. Now she has to turn pars and bogeys (or worse) into birdies and pars.

First off we analysed her equipment and she has a huge gap in distances between her PW (118 yards) and her 54 Degree (88 yards). So she is looking into a 50 degree, probably to match her other wedges not her iron set.

We are working on distance control with every shot. Borrowing from Dave Pelz and his clock system.

Adding a low running chip

Adding a higher pitch

Improving from the sand

Improved green reading using aimpoint

Improving putting using EyeLine Golf's 1000 Putt Challenge and equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 07:31 AM)
After fading to mid pack in the regional tournament my top player sees the difference between low 80s and low 70s shot making. She arrives within 30 yards of the green better than almost anyone in the region. Now she has to turn pars and bogeys (or worse) into birdies and pars.

First off we analysed her equipment and she has a huge gap in distances between her PW (118 yards) and her 54 Degree (88 yards). So she is looking into a 50 degree, probably to match her other wedges not her iron set.

We are working on distance control with every shot. Borrowing from Dave Pelz and his clock system.

Adding a low running chip

Adding a higher pitch

Improving from the sand

Improved green reading using aimpoint

Improving putting using EyeLine Golf's 1000 Putt Challenge and equipment.

My chipping game changed with wedge selection. I moved to better spaced Vokey's and added several different types of shots with different degrees of open faces. My go to 30 yarder nowadays is a 60 degree wedge played well back in my space and I spin it right in towards the flag.

So the last year and a half or so my game has been getting worse. I only started playing after college so I am kind of new to the game. Two years ago I was almost getting my handicap down to a single digit and this last year it ended up around 15. The key to my resurgence is this:

1. My swing path had to be more straight back. My pro showed me one video and my clubhead wasnt getting above my waist. Take it straight back around my head.

2. Relax. My swing thought with every club is, "loose." My hands are loose and my arms are loose and I can turn the face over and I dont over rotate my hips.

My last 10 rounds have all been under 90. When I was scuffling I was in the 100's with literally not a single good iron shot all day. I shot an 83 today at harborside and it could have been better. I recommend anyone to have a lesson and take a video. Then RELAX. Loose arms, loose grip, watch the head strike the ball and turn. I was so frustrated the last year with my game and now im back on the road to single digit handicap.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
It turns out tee times are very hard to come by on father's Day morning, go figure.

The courses I use for my golf team all have Father's Day specials. They packages rounds with food and stuff. Trying to maximize the tickets coming through.