Golfing Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:28 PM)
Ordered two Bob Vokey Titleist wedges, one 46 degree F Grind (basically a PW) and the other a 60 degree L grind lob wedge. All I can say is worth every penny! Incredible balance, beautiful feel...shot my best round of my life...75 and that was with two penalty strokes.

Time to order the 50 and the 54 degree now.

i go 54-56-60 on my vokeys

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My freshmen took 5th of 12 in an open tournament Monday. They were so nervous a couple had a hard time steadying their hands to place the ball on the tee. They totally forgot their pre-shout routines. If they had played to their potential 3rd place was within sight.

Varsity tournament today. It's a small tournament played as two-man scramble teams. I was looking for an opportunity for the new varsity core to get together and play an event that would help bring them together. I was also looking for a "soft spot" next month to maybe get them a little success early. But a couple of the smaller school tournaments would not allow a school our size to enter.

Boom my three scramble teams finished 1 - 6 - 7. My top team of a freshman and junior shot a six under 66 and won the tournament by 8 shots. Nothing like bringing home some hardware.

I celebrated by picking up a Titleist 913D3 driver. My twenty year old Taylor Made may finally be getting a long rest in the back of the closet.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Boom my three scramble teams finished 1 - 6 - 7. My top team of a freshman and junior shot a six under 66 and won the tournament by 8 shots. Nothing like bringing home some hardware.

I celebrated by picking up a Titleist 913D3 driver. My twenty year old Taylor Made may finally be getting a long rest in the back of the closet.

Congrats Tex!

Tears in my eyes moment. My players who won that tournament last week were named Athletes of the Week by our local newspaper. I received the certificates in my mail box this morning. I'm planning on framing them and giving them at our team meeting tomorrow.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)
Tears in my eyes moment. My players who won that tournament last week were named Athletes of the Week by our local newspaper. I received the certificates in my mail box this morning. I'm planning on framing them and giving them at our team meeting tomorrow.

Congrats again, Tex!

So I switched from my 20 year old Taylor Made bubble shafted driver to a Titleist 913D and seem to be giving up some distance in exchange for accuracy. The main issue seems to be I feel like that giant club head is hitting so much wind resistance, like a giant jib in front of a sailboat. Does that feeling go away?

I had my players out on the range with our range finders targeting in our wedge distances, learning how to hit wedges from 30 to 80 yards with some accuracy. Afterwards it was bang the driver time. So I know the distances are accurate and I was hitting both drivers side by side. The 913D is more lofted, but the overall height of each shot was roughly the same. What I couldn't seem to judge was the shape. I'm not certain if the Taylor Made was a flatter overall trajectory and that the Titleist was peaking and dropping straighter down.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)
So I switched from my 20 year old Taylor Made bubble shafted driver to a Titleist 913D and seem to be giving up some distance in exchange for accuracy. The main issue seems to be I feel like that giant club head is hitting so much wind resistance, like a giant jib in front of a sailboat. Does that feeling go away?

I had my players out on the range with our range finders targeting in our wedge distances, learning how to hit wedges from 30 to 80 yards with some accuracy. Afterwards it was bang the driver time. So I know the distances are accurate and I was hitting both drivers side by side. The 913D is more lofted, but the overall height of each shot was roughly the same. What I couldn't seem to judge was the shape. I'm not certain if the Taylor Made was a flatter overall trajectory and that the Titleist was peaking and dropping straighter down.

Tex, I was in the same boat as you. I went from a Big Bertha warbird from 1995 to a Nike Covert Tour from 2013. That feeling will likely not go away, but you will get more accustomed to it.

Basically, what you're getting is a lot better shots on your mis***s than with your Taylor Made.

I was hitting everything into our practice fairway. While working with my team I've been hitting everything in their bags. It's a great way to demo clubs. That's how I settled on the 913. I'm also swapping out my Mizuno rescue clubs for Taylor Made hybrids. At my age it seems that updates in technology may keep me in single digit handicap for a while longer. That and losing weight.

How tall should a hybrid be in comparison to the iron that it replaces? Same length?

I bought a cobra 2-3 hybrid off the shelf and it's much taller than my 4 hybrid and the 3 iron. I hit the other 2 clubs much better and have to change my hitting stance to even have a chance of hitting the cobra hybrid correctly. Should I get the shaft shortened to match the other clubs?

QUOTE (SnB @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
How tall should a hybrid be in comparison to the iron that it replaces? Same length?

I bought a cobra 2-3 hybrid off the shelf and it's much taller than my 4 hybrid and the 3 iron. I hit the other 2 clubs much better and have to change my hitting stance to even have a chance of hitting the cobra hybrid correctly. Should I get the shaft shortened to match the other clubs?

How is the shaft compared to a 3 metal?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)

There is literally no way a comparable 913 wouldnt go further. You are either adjusting your swing path or you picked the less than ideal shaft and head combo. The 913 is an amazing driver and added a good 15-20 yard of carry from my R7

I am thinking of taking up golf again after a 5 year absence from golf when I'd relent and play with my dad who has since passed away. Please tell me if I should bother with a return to the sport.

1.) I worked at a golf course as a youth and my best score ever is a lousy 92 or 88. I forget which.

2.) I am 6-foot-2 and often feel 'awkward' in hitting a golf ball, like I'm too tall to be doing this. I've always felt more comfortable hitting a tennis ball or softball.

3.) When I golfed I often would hit a towering drive or smash a good fairway shot but I always would either duff a chip or smash a putt or hook a drive and wind up getting a 6 or 7 on a par 4. Rarely would I complete a hole effectively, thus I'd get maybe one birdie every 2 rounds and only one or two pars a round. I'd always have at least one nine.

4.) I got frustrated at some point during a round at continued ineffectiveness.

5.) I at some point in every round was glad I played because of either the greenery, the friends, whatever.

6.) I need new golf clubs and would have to buy them and that might be difficult to figure out what to buy.

My question to you is: Should I abandon all thoughts of returning to golf? Do you good golfers despise hacks like me polluting a course? Are some people just not meant to golf?

Thank u for any advice. The winter is ahead with time to decide.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
I am thinking of taking up golf again after a 5 year absence from golf when I'd relent and play with my dad who has since passed away. Please tell me if I should bother with a return to the sport.

1.) I worked at a golf course as a youth and my best score ever is a lousy 92 or 88. I forget which.

2.) I am 6-foot-2 and often feel 'awkward' in hitting a golf ball, like I'm too tall to be doing this. I've always felt more comfortable hitting a tennis ball or softball.

3.) When I golfed I often would hit a towering drive or smash a good fairway shot but I always would either duff a chip or smash a putt or hook a drive and wind up getting a 6 or 7 on a par 4. Rarely would I complete a hole effectively, thus I'd get maybe one birdie every 2 rounds and only one or two pars a round. I'd always have at least one nine.

5.) I at some point in every round was glad I played because of either the greenery, the friends, whatever.

6.) I need new golf clubs and would have to buy them and that might be difficult to figure out what to buy.

My question to you is: Should I abandon all thoughts of returning to golf? Do you good golfers despise hacks like me polluting a course? Are some people just not meant to golf?

I'm fairly new to golf (only playing seriously for like 2 years) and I love it. Really caught the bug this year. Most golfers on a public course can't break 100 consistently (including me). You'll feel much better about it when you get out there and see how bad most people are. One tip I learned was to play match play when you're not good. With this, if you have a horrendous hole - it doesn't doom you for the entire round.

It can certainly be frustrating, but all it takes is one good (or not horrible) hole to have fun again. If nothing else, it's fun to get some fresh air, hang out with your friends and escape for a bit.

As for clubs, getting a cheap starter set would probably be fine.

I would recommend taking a few lessons before you really get involved though. It will stop you from forming bad habits early on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)

You literally just described golf in general. Even single digit handicappers have bad round, bad shots and times when their swing leaves them for weeks at a time. First step at your height is to get fit for clubs, they dont even have to been brand new. Next take a lesson, if its the winter go to golftec and get some film done of your swing so you can start feeling comfortable with it and with your clubs. When spring comes play some rounds but most importantly hit the range as often as you can, and dont waste swings. Take each swing like its a real shot. Your good shots will increase and the bad ones will decrease.

At the end of the day its a super frustrating sport but its also f***ing awesome.

Golf is a sport where you will not do something right and be pissed about it 90% of the time, but the 10% of the time when you do the right thing and hit the right shot it makes up for it.

If you're the type of person who gets frustrated quickly and can't roll with the punches, don't pick it up. If can enjoy it for what it is, 4-5 hours of relaxing, outdoor fun, then go for it.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

So the Shriner's Hospital for Children Open is at my club this week. Nothing like watching Billy Horschel/Jimmy Walker/Brandt Snedeker whack it around the same holes you do...I was surprised at how similar they play the holes as I do, with the exception of the par 5's...that's where you really see the difference between their games....the ability to poke it out there 320 fairly easily and then to hit a long iron from 225-230 to about 12 feet.

I've never made an eagle in my life and then seeing some fringe pro you've never heard of make 2 in a row is pretty nuts.

Looking forward to the weekend.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
So the Shriner's Hospital for Children Open is at my club this week. Nothing like watching Billy Horschel/Jimmy Walker/Brandt Snedeker whack it around the same holes you do...I was surprised at how similar they play the holes as I do, with the exception of the par 5's...that's where you really see the difference between their games....the ability to poke it out there 320 fairly easily and then to hit a long iron from 225-230 to about 12 feet.

I've never made an eagle in my life and then seeing some fringe pro you've never heard of make 2 in a row is pretty nuts.

last fall we went to the BMW Championship at Conway Farms in Lake Forest. For some reason my top memory was watching Tiger on this peninsula par 4. It was probably 270-300 yards (from what I remember), but the first tee shot he hit it short and left. Without even thinking, he put another ball on the tee and crushed it 15 feet from the hole. The confidence he had in knowing exactly what he did wrong was crazy, he didn't even think twice before hitting again.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)

I was watching it tonight, please wear something Sox related so we can see you