Golfing Thread

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After half the team was delayed in traffic and were given 9s on their first two holes (Texas Prep Max) my girls fought to a third place finish. They beat everyone that they should have. Our district tournament is in two weeks. We are one of the top three teams but only two advance. It should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to lean toward ditching my driver and hitting something smaller and more controllable off the tee. I just have no confidence in my driver and lessons haven't helped w that club.

Any wood recommendations? Anyone tried Taylormade's mini driver?

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm starting to lean toward ditching my driver and hitting something smaller and more controllable off the tee. I just have no confidence in my driver and lessons haven't helped w that club.

Any wood recommendations? Anyone tried Taylormade's mini driver?

Smaller and controllable? That doesnt compute. My guess its not the club itself. What kind of shaft is on it?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
Smaller and controllable? That doesnt compute. My guess its not the club itself. What kind of shaft is on it?

I believe it's this club, a hand me down from my FIL.

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/bran...%20Bertha%20460

I just think the big head plays games w/ me mentally. It's huge, but I can't seem to hit the sweet spot on the club. Distance is awful, I can hit my 3H just as far.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I believe it's this club, a hand me down from my FIL.

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/bran...%20Bertha%20460

I just think the big head plays games w/ me mentally. It's huge, but I can't seem to hit the sweet spot on the club. Distance is awful, I can hit my 3H just as far.

Stock shaft? Where does the ball strike the clubface?

Shafts are often overlooked but often the cause of a club not performing because it doesnt get to the ball correctly

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Stock shaft? Where does the ball strike the clubface?

Shafts are often overlooked but often the cause of a club not performing because it doesnt get to the ball correctly

I'm pretty sure it's the stock shaft. Most of my hits seem to be a little higher than the sweet spot of the face. Maybe just get the club shortened?

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
I'm pretty sure it's the stock shaft. Most of my hits seem to be a little higher than the sweet spot of the face. Maybe just get the club shortened?

Maybe tee it up a little higher? Get that shaft looked at by someone in the know, there was a good spot on grand downtown that was cheap and great. I changed my driver to a lower launch shaft not too long ago and it did wonders.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
Does anyone know a good place for lessons in the Schaumburg area, I finally invested in a decent set of Rocketbladez last year but I'm god awful to the point I swing and miss at times. Really want to get to the point where I can make some progress.

outdoor (later) or indoor (now)?

people swear by this place up there

http://www.schaumburggolf.com/the-academy

Never been but it cant hurt to do at least one lesson and see if you like the guy. I would say do at least 3 though.

I've been to Cog Hill and Harboside for my lessons. I didnt really get along with the harborside guy

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
outdoor (later) or indoor (now)?

people swear by this place up there

http://www.schaumburggolf.com/the-academy

Never been but it cant hurt to do at least one lesson and see if you like the guy. I would say do at least 3 though.

I've been to Cog Hill and Harboside for my lessons. I didnt really get along with the harborside guy

Ill check it out, worst case scenario it isnt a right fit... best case I can actually start improving

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Ill check it out, worst case scenario it isnt a right fit... best case I can actually start improving

I would go into at least 3 courses that have teaching centers and meet with the pro. See if you like what he says. Nothing is worse than spending an hour with a guy that doesn't get what you want to do. The guy at harbor side kept trying to make me into a draw player. It ruined my swing for an entire season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
Does anyone know a good place for lessons in the Schaumburg area, I finally invested in a decent set of Rocketbladez last year but I'm god awful to the point I swing and miss at times. Really want to get to the point where I can make some progress.

I went through 3 different instructors before I found one that I really liked. He's in Downer's and it's indoors, but I really enjoyed my lessons w/ him.

http://golfbigc.com/?page_id=59

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)

Pick your spots where to hit the driver. Most par 5s and many Par 4s you will be just fine with a smooth 3 wood from the tee. I'd also check the loft of your driver. If you are hitting a low lofted driver 8.5 to 9 you might benefit from a switch to an 11 or 12 degree driver.

For the immediate needs. Depending on what score you are hoping to reach analyse where you are losing strokes. I have my novice players who are trying to break 90 divide the yardage of par 4s in three. Usually three seven irons will allow them to hit lots of greens and set up par putts. Same with par 5s only divide by 4. Now if you can get something a little longer down the fairway, that allows a wedge into the green. I have a player shooting solid mid 80s with a hybrid off the tee while we fix his fairway metals and driver.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
I would go into at least 3 courses that have teaching centers and meet with the pro. See if you like what he says. Nothing is worse than spending an hour with a guy that doesn't get what you want to do. The guy at harbor side kept trying to make me into a draw player. It ruined my swing for an entire season.

And plan on a season of lessons spaced out enough to groove a change before going back. I see some of my players getting so lost. Each week it was a new change and the previous weeks change wasn't incorporated.

End of round one of our district tournament we sit in fourth place, three back. The country club kids will finish 1-2 but I'm confident we will place third. I also have the low medalist. She is a freshman and standing tall after a disastrous front nine.

First round in the books. Irons pretty iffy but from 200 out I was dead on. Also on the last hole, a par 3 170 yarded I hit it four inches from the hole. I was legit telling it to stop because I didn't want my first ace to be one nobody else saw since I was alone. Shot a 40 on the back for an 87. Overall pretty good. Playing again Saturday before my trip to Phoenix.

Oh and I can't tell golfers this enough. If you have a chance to put a hybrid in the bag. Do it. I've replaced my 3 and 4 iron and I stuck at least 3 balls on the green from 200 plus. With irons it would have been a crap shoot.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
I'm starting to lean toward ditching my driver and hitting something smaller and more controllable off the tee.

I only play with my irons. I tee off with my 3 iron.

Now, I'm a pretty bad player (never had a lesson), but I feel like using irons exclusively helps me avoid the big errors I make with the woods. I can hit the ball really far, but it never goes straight with my driver.

By the way, I had a hole in one Sunday. In typical fashion, I followed it with a 7.

Whew. Long day. We cruised to a third place finish in our district. We just couldn't beat the country club kids. My top player finished fifth and will advance to the regional tournament next week.

Hit 105 on Saturday, my best round ever (don't laugh). I used to be in the 120ish range when I would only play a couple times a year. Nice to be able to feel somewhat competent on the course. I had way too many 3 putts for my own good.

Time to substitute putting green practice in place of driving range pracitce.