Golfing Thread

Spending money on irons depends on how good your swing is. Are you the type of player that averages 7's and 8's on par 4's because you'll worm burn some shots? New clubs probably won't help. But if you're consistently hitting the ball with solid contact and shooting in the 80's, a new set (new being new within say 5 years) will help you drop 5-8 shots simply because clubs these days are much more forgiving. Instead of getting the ball to the side of the green, you're hitting it on the green.

I'm also a believer that a really good driver is a must. I have two friends I play with who are terrible. They play with old clubs, including old drivers, and both barely drive 100-150 yards because they consistently pull up and miss or top the ball. I let them use my R1 and they're hitting it down the fairway 225-250. Something about the new head sizes and the more forgivable sweet spots on the new clubs really do help. The adjustable stuff is a gimmick, but the ability to change loft is nice, especially if you're someone who wants to play more and plans to get a little better over the season.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's handicap or what do you typically shoot? Back in high school when I was playing daily I was down to a 6 or 7. Anything over 80 I was pissed, although my best round was even par 72. Never shot under before. Then I went about 8 years playing 2-3 times a year at most, if at all, so it crept back up to like 15-16. This year in 5 rounds i've been between 83 and 90. Still not where I was, but it's partly getting used to a new set and partly not being out nearly as much. If you take away the first 3-4 holes on every round, I bet i'm down in the low 80's high 70's again. But for some reason (age, I guess), it takes me a while to warm up and get a good swing going.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Spending money on irons depends on how good your swing is. Are you the type of player that averages 7's and 8's on par 4's because you'll worm burn some shots? New clubs probably won't help. But if you're consistently hitting the ball with solid contact and shooting in the 80's, a new set (new being new within say 5 years) will help you drop 5-8 shots simply because clubs these days are much more forgiving. Instead of getting the ball to the side of the green, you're hitting it on the green.

I'm also a believer that a really good driver is a must. I have two friends I play with who are terrible. They play with old clubs, including old drivers, and both barely drive 100-150 yards because they consistently pull up and miss or top the ball. I let them use my R1 and they're hitting it down the fairway 225-250. Something about the new head sizes and the more forgivable sweet spots on the new clubs really do help. The adjustable stuff is a gimmick, but the ability to change loft is nice, especially if you're someone who wants to play more and plans to get a little better over the season.

Right now my biggest issue is the slice off the tee. Dramatic slice, I literally aim at a 45 degree angle (or more) to the left. Working on fixing that, but it's not easy as I'm a baseball and hockey player now trying to golf. So I start off with not a ton of range (or in the woods), and then try to iron it up from there. I feel like I use my 3 iron all day trying to get distance to the hole. I don't have a ton of it with my irons. My Wilson set didn't come with a normal 3 or 4 iron, I have a 3wood and one of those hybrid irons which I don't think I've ever used because I have no idea how to hit it and pretty sure everything would slice off that, too. I'm guessing that I should probably try to learn how to hit that club to get more distance, it takes me a while to get up the fairway.

I'd say usually every 2-3 holes I'll flub one into the ground or just hit a ground ball up the middle. Usually my irons are OK, just not that long. But, I'm also not that accurate. Like you said, I always shoot it left or right of the green, even if I have the distance correct.

I do have a "good" driver, the Wilson one does have a pretty huge head. I also have another smaller driver I had from years ago. But again, without fixing a slice, probably won't matter too much what driver I have.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's handicap or what do you typically shoot? Back in high school when I was playing daily I was down to a 6 or 7. Anything over 80 I was pissed, although my best round was even par 72. Never shot under before. Then I went about 8 years playing 2-3 times a year at most, if at all, so it crept back up to like 15-16. This year in 5 rounds i've been between 83 and 90. Still not where I was, but it's partly getting used to a new set and partly not being out nearly as much. If you take away the first 3-4 holes on every round, I bet i'm down in the low 80's high 70's again. But for some reason (age, I guess), it takes me a while to warm up and get a good swing going.

I will shoot anywhere from a 5 to a 9 on a par 4. Usually I will get a 7 or 8. You're clearly much better than I am.

I played a bunch of par 3's while in middle school, played one time on an actual 18 hole course (absolutely terrifying as my friend and I, both middle schoolers, get paired up with 2 guys in their 40's who were decent), and then didn't play golf for probably 12 years (but played a ton of mini golf LOL). Picked it up again 2 years ago, have played each of the past 2 summers probably 5-10 times. Looking to do about the same this year, though I haven't been out there yet.

I realize I'm not good and I'm not trying to be a pro, I just want to be able to have fun, challenge myself, improve, etc. I also think I'm at the point where if people ask if I golf/if I want to play with them, I can say "yes" without feeling like I'll be an embarrassment out there. A few years ago I turned down opportunities to play just because I was worried about trying to keep up with people out there and not be an embarrassment. I told them "no thanks, I don't actually golf." IMO shooting 7's or 8's on holes, you can play with anyone out there in a group as long as you keep moving. It's not like you're shooting 15's and hitting the ball 10 yards the whole way up the fairway.

Edited by IlliniKrush

From the summer before my freshman year of HS through the summer after graduation, I played nearly every day the weather was nice, including on the HS golf team. I consistently shot 86-89 with little variance. My best ever on a Par 72 was 81 and my worst was about 95. There was a 9-hole Par 28 course that I played on once a week and I got really good on that course and was shooting 31-33 regularly with my best ever being 29.

Once I started college I only played about twice a week and regressed to shooting in the mid-upper 90s and now I haven't even picked up a club in 7 years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Playing often enough is absolutely key to getting better. Even if it's just going to the range. You have to get that muscle memory down.

I definitely need more range time. Although a lot of my range time has been TopGolf, which is pretty fun.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)

I've been playing to about a 12. For me, consistency is something I am working on almost every time at the range. I can be very long off the tee but pretty inaccurate, especially if I am trying to shape the ball a bit. This season so far I've been fairway bound a little over half the time which is helping. My goal is getting down to a single digit handicap.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 12, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
I definitely need more range time. Although a lot of my range time has been TopGolf, which is pretty fun.

Range and a camera would probably help.

I had a bad slice for awhile and was very inconsistent on iron striking because frankly I have super long arms and an active lower body in my swing. Range time helped with both and once I started hitting more down on the ball from the inside, distance increased and so did consistency. A slice off the tee to me is something that can be fixed with the "simple golf swing" and isnt all that hard. Its when you get into duck hooking it low and left that it seems to take more effort IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
I'm a pretty big believer in equipment, especially drivers, having nothing to do with the actual results of a swing. People trade in and trade up too often based on certain features fixing their flawed swing IMO.

\Not saying thats you, but it made me think about it. I've seen too many white drivers on the course with guys who shouldnt be spending more than 20 bucks on equipment and taking the rest to spend everyday on the range.

Well, like I said, I have had the same woods since about 1994. I have had the same irons for about 8 years. Now I agree with you in principal, but to say that there have not been SIGNIFICANT advancements in driver/fairway wood/hybrid technology over the course of the past 10-20 years would be ridiculous. My Big Bertha Warbird driver is 195 cc. Many of the new drivers are 460 cc! Now if you hit the ball on the screws everytime, perhaps there isn't a big difference (and I know, because I play with guys who have the newer equipment and when I lace one I hit it 265-280 while they may hit theirs 280-320. That is a measurable difference but not huge I guess. The difference comes when I mis*** versus when they mis***....and that is a HUGE difference!

As for irons, I play blades, and I hit them well, with the exception of the 3-4 iron, which I will miss on occasion. I have thought about going to a hybrid rescue club as opposed to hitting the 3-iron in 200 + yard conditions.

Now considering I have spent $0 on golf clubs since 2005 or so, I don't think making an upgrade here or there is unreasonable, and to say that there haven't been tremendous advancements in driver technology over the past 10-20 years is pretty ludicrous.

I play some pretty nice courses every month...how many players do you think have Big Bertha Warbirds in their bags? ;)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)

I'm usually in the low to mid 80's....I actually strike the ball very well, but have an absolutely rotten short game. I can't putt for s***.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Well, like I said, I have had the same woods since about 1994. I have had the same irons for about 8 years. Now I agree with you in principal, but to say that there have not been SIGNIFICANT advancements in driver/fairway wood/hybrid technology over the course of the past 10-20 years would be ridiculous. My Big Bertha Warbird driver is 195 cc. Many of the new drivers are 460 cc! Now if you hit the ball on the screws everytime, perhaps there isn't a big difference (and I know, because I play with guys who have the newer equipment and when I lace one I hit it 265-280 while they may hit theirs 280-320. That is a measurable difference but not huge I guess. The difference comes when I mis*** versus when they mis***....and that is a HUGE difference!

As for irons, I play blades, and I hit them well, with the exception of the 3-4 iron, which I will miss on occasion. I have thought about going to a hybrid rescue club as opposed to hitting the 3-iron in 200 + yard conditions.

Now considering I have spent $0 on golf clubs since 2005 or so, I don't think making an upgrade here or there is unreasonable, and to say that there haven't been tremendous advancements in driver technology over the past 10-20 years is pretty ludicrous.

I play some pretty nice courses every month...how many players do you think have Big Bertha Warbirds in their bags? ;)

You are clearly in the sweet spot for an upgrade. I was more referring to the 20+ cappers that get a new driver every 2 years because they slice.

I have a heaven seven in my guest bag. That thing still rules. The driver is a Bubble Burner 2.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 13, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
My wife and I looked into it, but it seemed like we would be the youngest people there by far (we're 32 this year). Maybe in a decade we'll look into it again.

That's when you can get in cheap though...I spoke to a guy from one of the TPC courses here in Vegas yesterday...we would put the membership in my wife's name since she is only 33, and get the cheaper initiation and monthly dues until she's 40. I was fairly surprised at how low the initiation fee was....about 1/5 of what it once was...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Anyone here belong to a club? If so, is it worth it? Do you enjoy it? Is it good networking?

I worked at pro shop in one while I was still in HS. After I hit adulthood I realized how important and valuable some of those connections could have been. The right club gives great networking.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Anyone here belong to a club? If so, is it worth it? Do you enjoy it? Is it good networking?

I'm walking down the path of it now at a younger club here. Most of the other ones Ive looked at are too expensive (65k+ initiation fees) and the population is too old money.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
I'm walking down the path of it now at a younger club here. Most of the other ones Ive looked at are too expensive (65k+ initiation fees) and the population is too old money.

Yeah, that is what I expected to hear too...the guy I spoke to yesterday said their median age is 49...but initiation for members below 40 is $7,500. He said at one time it was $42,000.

I think it is an excellent networking opportunity, especially considering our ages. My concern is mostly whether we should do it now or if we should wait until after we try having kids and they are out of diapers...just not sure how much time we would have to enjoy it...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Yeah, that is what I expected to hear too...the guy I spoke to yesterday said their median age is 49...but initiation for members below 40 is $7,500. He said at one time it was $42,000.

I think it is an excellent networking opportunity, especially considering our ages. My concern is mostly whether we should do it now or if we should wait until after we try having kids and they are out of diapers...just not sure how much time we would have to enjoy it...

Yeah, the pool is the draw for my wife at the moment. The one we are looking at is 10k split over two years for initiation but then they seem to fee you to death. With some of the pricier places at least your annual cost after the initial fee isnt crazy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah, the pool is the draw for my wife at the moment. The one we are looking at is 10k split over two years for initiation but then they seem to fee you to death. With some of the pricier places at least your annual cost after the initial fee isnt crazy.

So for TPC Summerlin, the monthly dues are $509/mo until the member hits 35, and then $560/mo from 35-40, then $838 after 40. They have a pool, as well as tennis facilities. You have to spend at least $200/quarter in the restaurant as well.

This includes unlimited golf (walking) and use of the practice range. If you want to ride, they charge $14/23 per person for 9/18 holes respectively. You can bring up to 3 guests per day, and guest fees are $85/135 in season for weekdays/weekends and $65/95 offseason. In season is April-June and Sept-Nov.

It's something I am very much considering, although I don't think the wife is going to be down with this unless she really falls in love with golf. I know she will love the social and networking aspects of it, however.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
So for TPC Summerlin, the monthly dues are $509/mo until the member hits 35, and then $560/mo from 35-40, then $838 after 40. They have a pool, as well as tennis facilities. You have to spend at least $200/quarter in the restaurant as well.

This includes unlimited golf (walking) and use of the practice range. If you want to ride, they charge $14/23 per person for 9/18 holes respectively. You can bring up to 3 guests per day, and guest fees are $85/135 in season for weekdays/weekends and $65/95 offseason. In season is April-June and Sept-Nov.

It's something I am very much considering, although I don't think the wife is going to be down with this unless she really falls in love with golf. I know she will love the social and networking aspects of it, however.

That all looks pretty standard. The one I am looking at also adds an annual locker room and pool fee. We will pay around 2,500 for the year pre pay for food/drink.

So went to the golf club last night to see the facilities for the first time. Turns out they were having some kind of evening event there so they were closing the practice facilities down early (which is what we went there to do), so they told us to go out on the course. Only managed to get in about 5 holes since we didn't get there til quarter after 6 and I was with the wife who basically has never played golf before.

Anyways, the course was very nice. Perfect greens, very, very nice fairways. Was missing a little bit of the "wow" factor, but of course, the last course I played was that Four Seasons course in Hawaii, so not a shock. Very nice layout, lots of different tees to play from. Only got to play the first 5 and see the first 9 as we were driving back in, but was pretty impressed. The facilities were a bit outdated; it appears they probably will need to do a bit of a renovation at some point in the next 3-5 years, but still nice. We had dinner on the patio afterwards. Food was very good, reasonably priced. Service was just sort of ok.

All in all, I was impressed, but at the same time a little disappointed. Will have to think about this a bit more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
Had my interview on the course today and it looks like I'm in. Out of all the clubs I looked at I picked the one with younger more down to earth people. Pretty excited for this summer

Do tell...

• 2 weeks later...