Golfing Thread

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Does anyone have advice for someone who wants to learn how to play golf, but is very limited on funds. I already have some hand-me-down clubs, but I can't afford to take lessons or anything like that. there is a public 9-hole course in my area that is less than $15 to play, but I can't get the damn ball in the air, so I don't play. Is there really no way to improve my swing mechanics without taking lessons? Do the teaching shows on the golf channel actually help novices? Looking for as many ideas as I can get. Been trying to learn for a few years. I had it a couple years ago, but found the sweet spot in October and the weather went south and I lost it over the winter because I had no time to keep practicing. The next spring went to the range and haven't been able to find it again. It seems as the time went on my swing just kept getting worse and worse. Going out to the range for the first time in a while this week, and I kinda want it to be constructive and not just a waste of $. So for those who play often: Should I put this on hold until I have more disposable income, or should I keep trying?

You gotta go out and hit. Golf is all muscle memory. If you don't swing a club enough, there's no way you're going to make consistent contact with the ball. I agree generally with the idea that you either have a natural swing or you don't, but that doesn't mean you can't create a swing with practice. It's like a baseball swing. Everyone can do it, some better than others.

I think if you're going to be serious about it, you should hit a range a minimum of 3-4 times, or get a net and hit balls in your backyard (the only problem with this is you can't see where the ball ends up. You could be slicing the crap out of the ball and never really know. Although if you're having issues even getting the ball in the air, maybe that's a good first step). Then save up some money for a lesson. After 3-4 trips (so 2-300 balls probably), you'll have an idea of how your swing feels and how you're hitting the ball. Then when you have your lesson, you'll be able to know and understand what the teacher is trying to tell you. I don't think going to a teacher straight away without swinging a club is going to be very beneficial. He'll put the ball in the right part of the stance, he'll help you with your grip, he'll tell you how your arms should on the backswing and the follow through and all that (all of this stuff, btw, you can get for free on the internet/youtube/the golf channel shows). But I think you have to know what YOUR swing is like and how it feels first.

Do you have any friends that play? That's also a helpful resource if any of them are decent. I'm no tour pro, but I've had enough exposure/success to know what is/isn't a good thing in a swing. So I can offer tips to friends that help. A pro is gong to be better, but obviously cost money.

Any of you guys watch Feherty on the Golf Channel? It's great. One, because he's weird and hilarious, and two, you get a backstory on some well known pros. After 4-5 episodes, you quickly realize that the big names (Bubba, Kuchar, etc.) all started at various ages, but when they did start, they played constantly. And that's why they're good. They played daily for years straight. They got that muscle memory down.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Golf is such a mental game. You can have all of the mechanics down, but if you frame of mind isn't right, it will still kick your ass.

Understatement. If you are above the ball and believe you cant hit the shot, you wont.

Just took the plunge on a very slightly used set of Titleist AP2 714's. Project PXi shafts. Saved about 5 bills getting them barely used versus new.

Need to get off of these blades and into something a bit more forgiving.

Hopefully this will help with the consistency issue a bit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Just took the plunge on a very slightly used set of Titleist AP2 714's. Project PXi shafts. Saved about 5 bills getting them barely used versus new.

Need to get off of these blades and into something a bit more forgiving.

Hopefully this will help with the consistency issue a bit.

Those arent the most forgiving clubs though, you didnt get the AP1's?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Those arent the most forgiving clubs though, you didnt get the AP1's?

Nah, didn't want them to be too forgiving. I just need something slightly more forgiving, while still allowing me to work the ball a bit. My home course is one that penalizes you if you hit the wrong part of the green. Lots of undulations and lots of false fronts. What hurts me is slight mis***s that put me in a bad spot on the green or just off the green, because that brings my biggest weakness into play (my short game). I do still want feedback, however. I want to know when I hit a ball off the toe or too close to the hosel. With some of the more forgiving clubs, you're really hard pressed to know that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Nah, didn't want them to be too forgiving. I just need something slightly more forgiving, while still allowing me to work the ball a bit. My home course is one that penalizes you if you hit the wrong part of the green. Lots of undulations and lots of false fronts. What hurts me is slight mis***s that put me in a bad spot on the green or just off the green, because that brings my biggest weakness into play (my short game). I do still want feedback, however. I want to know when I hit a ball off the toe or too close to the hosel. With some of the more forgiving clubs, you're really hard pressed to know that.

I've been shanking it off the hosel too frequently lately, Im clearly either too close to the ball or for some reason my hands are trying to play baseball with the shaft.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I've been shanking it off the hosel too frequently lately, Im clearly either too close to the ball or for some reason my hands are trying to play baseball with the shaft.

Either that or you need your lie angle adjusted a few degrees flat...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Either that or you need your lie angle adjusted a few degrees flat...

I'm not toe digging as much as leading a bit too much with the hosel. Too much outside in these days, kind of a mid season slump. Been working everyday on the range to get that draw back.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
Anyone ever use eBay deal of the day for clubs? Prices are marked down ridiculously. I just picked up a TaylorMade RocketBallZ driver for $100.

You can buy those white drivers on an extremely discounted price everywhere at this point. When they came out every duffer on the planet went and bought one and none of them could hit it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
You can buy those white drivers on an extremely discounted price everywhere at this point. When they came out every duffer on the planet went and bought one and none of them could hit it.

My wife has one :) And I did get it for $100 a few months ago.

Got my set of AP2 714's on saturday...much, much, much more forgiving. I'm still trying to dial in the distances. I think I'm at least a club to a club and a half longer, especially with the longer irons. I hit a 4-iron to the back of the green on a 230 yard par-3 Sunday afternoon. Still getting accustomed to the swingweight. All in all, very pleased so far.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
What's your gripe with them?

Nothing with the club, just every 20+ handicap went out and bought them and then couldnt hit em for s*** and now they are selling it back. Buying a driver wont help your swing if its bad, and for some reason the white drivers made everyone think it was magic.

So after years of basically hitting lob shots around the green, I've begun practicing bump and run shots with my gap wedge. Talk about a difference! First of all, the degree of difficulty is less to begin with, so the number of terrible shots I hit is greatly reduced, almost practically eliminated (versus the lob shots, which I might skull 1-2 out of 10). Secondly, the number of shots hit within 3 feet of the hole have been dramatically increased.

I don't know why I resisted this shot for so long. I always figured the best play was to take as much of the green's undulations out of play as possible, by carrying the ball to the hole as far as possible. But it's just such a more difficult shot to execute...I was throwing away shots left and right and maybe benefiting from that one great lob shot per round. What a waste...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
So after years of basically hitting lob shots around the green, I've begun practicing bump and run shots with my gap wedge. Talk about a difference! First of all, the degree of difficulty is less to begin with, so the number of terrible shots I hit is greatly reduced, almost practically eliminated (versus the lob shots, which I might skull 1-2 out of 10). Secondly, the number of shots hit within 3 feet of the hole have been dramatically increased.

I don't know why I resisted this shot for so long. I always figured the best play was to take as much of the green's undulations out of play as possible, by carrying the ball to the hole as far as possible. But it's just such a more difficult shot to execute...I was throwing away shots left and right and maybe benefiting from that one great lob shot per round. What a waste...

I like to practice this quite a bit on your chipping green area. Move the ball from your front foot all the way to the back hitting maybe 20 shots per position and see how the ball behaves. I do this with my 60, 56, and 54 degree wedge from varying lengths. Really helps your game.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working with some BS sand wedge I bought in a used bin and no lob wedge for years. Finally broke down and decided to buy the Cleveland 588 RTX wedges. 56 and 60 degree. Pretty pumped to start using them once they get here. I've gotten pretty good at using my pitching and gap wedges from 115-15 yards, so it'll be interesting to see how long it'll take me to figure out the best wedge the use from those distances.

played for the first time since Jan 2013 last weekend and shot a 46 on the front 9. then the storms came rolling in and washed the back 9 away which was a good thing because i opened up 2 huge blisters on one of my hands. had to buy a glove for my next outing.

could've taken off about 3 strokes if i could putt worth a damn.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
I've been working with some BS sand wedge I bought in a used bin and no lob wedge for years. Finally broke down and decided to buy the Cleveland 588 RTX wedges. 56 and 60 degree. Pretty pumped to start using them once they get here. I've gotten pretty good at using my pitching and gap wedges from 115-15 yards, so it'll be interesting to see how long it'll take me to figure out the best wedge the use from those distances.

Pick up a used copy of Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible on amazon....some really good stuff in there.

His putting bible has helped me a ton just in the last month or so.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
played for the first time since Jan 2013 last weekend and shot a 46 on the front 9. then the storms came rolling in and washed the back 9 away which was a good thing because i opened up 2 huge blisters on one of my hands. had to buy a glove for my next outing.

could've taken off about 3 strokes if i could putt worth a damn.

Dave Pelz's Putting Bible.