Jerry must be so proud

fathom

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Obviously I apologize and kind of want to move on," Beckham said Saturday. "Obviously it was meant as a joke but obviously it was in the wrong place and I didn't mean it that way. I will just try to move on."

Say "obviously" again, Gordon.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
That this is even an issue is beyond me.

Imagine if this was a big deal back in high school when you would add "is gay" after someone's name on a paper.

Agreed

this is why it is an issue.

1.the gay community is fighting to have equal right like straight people and not be 2nd class citizens. 2.how many active gay baseball players do you know? they cant even be themselves and have to pretend to be straight in the public eye.

this is the same as some one some one in 1955-1968 writing "GETZ IS BLACK! G.B.,"

Edited by whitem0nkey

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)

1.the gay community is fighting to have equal right like straight people and not be 2nd class citizens. 2.how many active gay baseball players do you know? they cant even be themselves and have to pretend to be straight in the public eye.

this is the same as some one some one in 1955-1968 writing "GETZ IS BLACK! G.B.,"

The only reason its an issue at all is because people have become so uptight and just look for something to whine about.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)

No, no its not.

Well, too bad Gordon didn't read our thread here on this issue.

To me, there's still a distinction between "f-g" and "gay," but it's still a hurtful term even if it's teasing. At least he can always argue that he meant his "friend is happy," which is the original definition. Not sure why KW is noting that Getz was traded or how that's germane to the issue.

But it's certainly not the equivalent of calling a black person the N-word during the Civil Rights Era.

I don't even imagine the Lesbian/Bi/Gay Community can muster up a protest over this one like the Mariotti fiasco with Ozzie.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)

What do you want baseball to do to him? I'm sure he'll get some sort of fine, but sorry, this is not a huge deal. If anything it shows Gordon may have a very low IQ, though. Very very dumb of him.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)
Doesn't gay mean happy?

I'm thinking Gordon would have definitely landed a suspension had he cited that definition of the word has his defense.

No way he could be a smartaleck on this one.