7/9 Games

danman31

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Keenyn Walker doubles and then scores in his first professional at bat.

Add a Outfeild Assist in the 1st inning (CF-3B)

Pretty good start for Walker. Added another hit and a couple RBI's to his first day total. Driving to Helena tomorrow to watch the Voyagers play so I'll get my first look at Walker. Here's a little interesting tidbit of info for you on Helena's Kindrick Legion field. The orange seats in the grandstands are from the Oakland Coliseum renovation back when. Kind of interesting how seats from the Oakland A's stadium end up in a little old grandstand in Helena, MT. Supposedly the seats still have the A's logo on them, I'll find out tomorrow.

QUOTE (asmithxc @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
He has an OPS around .890 in AAA at a position that currently has miserable hitting depth league-wide. What's average production this year in the MLB at that position? .700 OPS?

Yes, he still strikes out far too often, and it is a legitimate question just how far his production will far off unless he cuts down on those strikeouts at least a bit (and whether he could even keep up this level of production at AAA). But the good news: he is playing catcher. Being a successful hitting catcher is a pretty low threshold.

Not saying they should pencil him in as the future starter. But I am definitely interested to see how he can do going forward, both at the AAA and the major league levels.

Flowers is striking out in 32% of his plate appearances in AAA. In no way do I find that player able to handle a promotion. You know who else has put up similar AAA numbers? Dallas McPherson. No one would confuse him for a Major League caliber player.

Also, I'm hardly giving Flowers credit for playing catcher. We need to see that he can handle the position. I've heard a lot of things to make me think he can't.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
Why do Garica and Escober switch between playing 2B and SS so often? Everything I've heard says Escobar is great defensively at short so I don't understand not having him play there exclusively.

Make him ready for being a utility?