Francisco Rodriguez traded to Brewers

SoxFan1

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Things tend to go down after the All-Star game, in fact the Mets and Brewers just made a trade. If anything goes down we'll know tonight or tomorrow.

Why do the Brewers need K-Rod? Axford's a solid closer. Are they really going to pay K-Rod all that money and have him setup?

Wonder how much money is going to the Brewers. K-Rod still has about $5 million left for the year I think.

K-Rod has his $17.5 million option guaranteed if he finishes 55 games and he finishes 110 over the past two years. He's finished 34 this year. Unless Axford starts sucking or gets hurt, I don't think that option will kick in.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:01 AM)
Why do the Brewers need K-Rod? Axford's a solid closer. Are they really going to pay K-Rod all that money and have him setup?

I suppose they will, there's about $5M owed to him for the rest of the season with that $3.5M buyout so $8.5M for 2.5 months with the Mets kicking in a little cash, perhaps covering the buyout? That seems a bit steep considering the prospects won't be anything special though the Mets are dealing from a place of desperation. According to Cots their payroll is somehow down about $7M from last season, they're tied for the division lead, have an incredibly talented roster and have made 1 playoff appearance in the past 29 years or so, I guess they're going for it and see K-Rod as a bullpen solidifier. The sucky thing about K-Rod is that he's a hitty backup closer to Axford, if he hits the DL or struggles and K-Rod takes over for an extended period of time they're likely taking on a $14M (sans buyout) payroll obligation for 2012.

It's a peculiar move, I'll assume they're giving up absolutely nothing for K-Rod, have plenty of room in the budget and just couldn't pass up a deal that brings in a potential deadly bullpen arm for nothing but the salary he's due this season. They were said to be interested in Heath Bell as a setup guy and while he's a lot cheaper he'd cost actual talent to acquire, they obviously see a setup man as that last piece.

Christ, my $3.5M guess was apparently conservative. The Mets are reportedly sending the Brewers $5M so Milwaukee will be paying K-Rod about $3.5M including the buyout for 2.5 months of work, not bad at all.

The Brewers just have to be careful with his games finished from here on out and this looks like a nice deal.

I saw the deal and knew 2 things

1) the Mets aren't getting a damn thing

2) the cash will cover the buyout and some this year too.

The number that actually crossed my mind was $5 mill, so that's cool I guess.

I am interested to see what happens with KRod if Axford does get hurt. He is obviously the most qualified but he will not finish a game until mid September at the earliest (relatively speaking). Knowing the Brewers, they will milk that arm for all it's worth and he will pitch in both the 7th and 8th multiple times.

I have no problem with this move. May as well try for it while it's there for the taking.

I really like what Milwaukee's done the last year or so. Marcum and Greinke (who will obviously have better luck in the 2nd half), and now K-Rod. That's a solid team. It amazes me that they can't get on a really strong run and take hold of the central.

The Brewers are "All In" as well, but they are actually successful so far. This will be a great move as long K-Rod doesn't pout too much. Brewers should put a little fear into the rest of the NL with that lineup and YoGa, Greinke, Marcum in the rotation.

•Francisco Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras spoke with Brewers GM Doug Melvin shortly after last night's trade, at which point Heyman says "Boras made the case that K-Rod should close, suggesting he wouldn't do nearly as well setting up." Melvin was apparently noncommital in that conversation, as he has been publicly. K-Rod would become the highest-paid reliever in baseball history if his option vests, though Boras wouldn't get commission on a contract brokered by Wasserman Media Group in 2008. Heyman suggests an unhappy Rodriguez is a scary concept, but based on the player's tweets (in Spanish), he's content.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
•Francisco Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras spoke with Brewers GM Doug Melvin shortly after last night's trade, at which point Heyman says "Boras made the case that K-Rod should close, suggesting he wouldn't do nearly as well setting up." Melvin was apparently noncommital in that conversation, as he has been publicly. K-Rod would become the highest-paid reliever in baseball history if his option vests, though Boras wouldn't get commission on a contract brokered by Wasserman Media Group in 2008. Heyman suggests an unhappy Rodriguez is a scary concept, but based on the player's tweets (in Spanish), he's content.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

I forgot about the Borass factor here. Ugh.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
It's really a fantastic trade for Milwaukee as long as they don't let his option kick in.

They're going to lose Fielder because of their current financial situation. They're not about to pay K-rod $17+ million next year. He won't reach the required games finished unless Axford's arm is amputated at some point between now and October.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
sounds like Beltran could be on the move to DET

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Tigers are probably biggest wildcard in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. It'll come down who will absorb most $; DET has done that in past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
That doesn't mean that offense can't help them. They've gotten a .682 OPS out of LF and a .688 OPS out of CF on the season.

Inge has been probably one of the worst everyday players in the majors this season. They could use a 3B

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
The Tigers don't need offense...they need starting pitching.

This is true. But when you can legitimately argue that Edwin Jackson is the best starter on the market as of right now, then you have to come to the conclusion that the pitching might not be out there to get. So to compensate, add to the offense.

According to Rosenthal the Brewers are getting about $6M from the Mets, not the previously reported $5M. The Mets are responsible for the $3.5M buyout and about half of his remaining $5M salary for this season. Hell of a pickup if he sticks in the setup role and isn't a distraction.