Sox versus Tigers Game Thread

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
I don't get this rotation they're planning on using at all. If it were up to me I'd be going with Humber-Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Jackson-Peavy

I wouldn't waste Humber against Verlander. This is when I wish we still had Lucas Harrell. Give the starters another day off! (only half-joking)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
I don't get this rotation they're planning on using at all. If it were up to me I'd be going with Humber-Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Jackson-Peavy

Need to avoid overworking Humber.

Danks not ready - still needs another rehab start.

I'm fine with running all righties against MCab and the Tiggers.

Have you been watching Buehrle pitch recently? He's our best lefty right now.

Looks like there's at least a 50/50 chance Miguel Cabrera misses the first two games with a mild oblique strain.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110710/SPORTS02/110710025

10 Reasons the Tigers will win the AL Central for the first time in history

Twins All-Star outfielder Michael Cuddyer frequently has pointed out through the years that they often have surged once they begin playing more games within the division. After being 20 games under .500 and 16½ games out in early June, the Twins will charge out of the All-Star break thinking they have a real shot at another title.

“We didn’t give up,” Cuddyer said. “We never folded.”

And the rest of the division expects another charge as the Twins get healthy and sort out their bullpen.

“It seems like every year they do something miraculous and get themselves back in it,” Detroit righthander Justin Verlander said. “You can never write them off.”

Detroit slipped into first place Sunday, and Verlander wants his team to pull away. The Tigers have had issues on the mound, leading to the recent firing of pitching coach Rick Knapp. There are questions about their defense, and it doesn’t help that the Tigers have played .459 ball after the break under manager Jim Leyland over the years.

But with Verlander, slugger Miguel Cabrera, emerging catcher Alex Avila and closer Jose Valverde, the Tigers might be the most dangerous team in the Central.

“I don’t think you have seen the true talent on this ballclub yet,” Verlander said. “I think we are very well-suited to do some special things during the second half.”

Cleveland lost Sunday and fell a half-game behind Detroit. The Indians have been the surprise team, opening 20-8 and leading the division by seven games May 23. But a 4-14 skid enabled the rest of the division to catch up.

Their bullpen is strong, and manager Manny Acta said the leadership in the clubhouse is even stronger after the Indians went through a rough patch in the schedule.

They will continue to have their skeptics, but they believe they are in it and make it no secret they are looking for a hitter before the July 31 nonwaiver trade deadline to help their cause.

“We have guys who get after it,” Acta said, “and that’s what fans in Cleveland like.”

The White Sox have been one of the bigger disappointments in the league. The Twins can point to injures for their poor start, but not the White Sox. Designated hitter Adam Dunn, second baseman Gordon Beckham and outfielder Alex Rios haven’t produced. With a strong starting rotation and a hot bullpen, the White Sox could surge with a more consistent offense.

“Everyone likes to jump on the hitting,” Konerko said. “If you watched a lot of our games we’ve had a lot of small mistakes in a lot of areas that have cost us.”

Chicago, five games back, is 8-18 in the division. With most of the schedule against Central foes, Chicago could fall out of contention if its offense can’t get going. And how can the White Sox consider themselves contenders when they have lost 31 of their past 39 games to the Twins, including three of four last weekend at U.S. Cellular Field?

http://www.freep.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

We've had luck with Verlander in the past ("stuff" pitchers don't bother us as much as other teams), and Floyd has dominated the Tigers on occasion....but I certainly wouldn't put much money on the White Sox to win this game.

6 GB after Friday would seem like a lot after being only 3-3 1/2 GB a week ago. Yeah, things can change quickly with a hot streak...if we could actually win more than 4 games in a row.

One way or the other, the next 2-3 weeks will define the direction of this organization for a long time to come.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
John Kruk believes the player to watch in the 2nd half is Adam Dunn. He thinks he's going to hit 20 HR's and drive in 60 these last 2.5 months. LOL

I believe he was disoriented by eating 3 cinnabons.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
John Kruk believes the player to watch in the 2nd half is Adam Dunn. He thinks he's going to hit 20 HR's and drive in 60 these last 2.5 months. LOL

Just watched Baseball Tonight's preview of the AL in the 2nd half, and Doug Glanville said the White Sox are the team to watch, and that Adam Dunn will break out of this and turn his season around.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Just watched Baseball Tonight's preview of the AL in the 2nd half, and Doug Glanville said the White Sox are the team to watch, and that Adam Dunn will break out of this and turn his season around.

Predicting Dunn to break out isn't really ground-breaking. A guy who has been consistently one thing for years, suddenly dropped off into an abyss, with no injury reason... pretty easy pick to be a likely comeback player in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Predicting Dunn to break out isn't really ground-breaking. A guy who has been consistently one thing for years, suddenly dropped off into an abyss, with no injury reason... pretty easy pick to be a likely comeback player in the 2nd half.

And if he doesn't there are a lot of people on this board who will need to find new summer hobbies, because baseball will equal extreme anger.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)

Interesting. One good thing is that we'll know right away, won't we? No where to hide with this schedule in July.

I'm not saying it's groundbreaking, I am just pointing out a lot of people seem to have faith in this team and Dunn for the second half.

And there's precedent for big second half rebounds from guys like that. Albert Belle in his first year with the Sox, and Big Papi in '09 and '10 come to mind.

C'mon Donkey, we need you!