Kenny Williams Wish List

fathom

As we've seen over the last 5 years or so, Kenny usually ends up acquiring players that he's been linked to in the past. With that said, who are some of these players that he's been linked to that are still in the majors (and weren't members of the Cleveland Indians of the 1990s)?

Players I can recall are:

- Hunter Pence (almost got him in a deal for Garland)

- Adrian Gonzalez (yeah...that's not going to happen)

- Brett Wallace (KW loved him in the Gordon Beckham draft)

- Gio Gonzalez (what's one more trade)

- Carlos Gomez (I still think he'll be acquiring by Sox in next year or so)

- Torii Hunter

- Chone Figgins

- Erik Bedard

- Michael Young

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
With Pierre done after this season, Morel not showing many signs of improvement, and the lack of any real lead off hitter in the organization, if the Mariners were to eat a large portion of Figgins contract, I see Williams regrettably jumping all over it.

I'm not sure, he's pretty close to being out of baseball. But you're so right. I'm still waiting for the Rios for Rowand deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
As we've seen over the last 5 years or so, Kenny usually ends up acquiring players that he's been linked to in the past. With that said, who are some of these players that he's been linked to that are still in the majors (and weren't members of the Cleveland Indians of the 1990s)?

- Torii Hunter

- Chone Figgins

- Erik Bedard

- Michael Young

I'm a moderate KW supporter right now, but if he goes out and gets Carlos Gomez (or Figgins, or Bedard, or Hunter), I'm done with him. Straight up.

Michael Young, on the other hand, I have always liked. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the most underrated players in baseball and always has been. I'd love to see him on the southside.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
I'm a moderate KW supporter right now, but if he goes out and gets Carlos Gomez (or Figgins, or Bedard, or Hunter), I'm done with him. Straight up.

Michael Young, on the other hand, I have always liked. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the most underrated players in baseball and always has been. I'd love to see him on the southside.

09-13:$16M annually (total of $15M deferred)

no-trade protection 2007-09, limited no-trade protection from 2010 to May, 2011 (submits list of 8 clubs to which he'd accept trade), before receiving 10-and-5 rights in May, 2011 (current list of 8 includes Colorado, Houston, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Minnesota, NY Yankees, St. Louis, San Diego)

award bonuses: $50,000 for All Star selection; $25,000 for Gold Glove

Carlos Delgado?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)

- Torii Hunter

- Chone Figgins

- Erik Bedard

- Michael Young

1 more too add get resume updated.

I do wonder about a Rios for Young swap. The Rangers are said to be desparately looking for a CF and Young has become a $16M utility player for them. It would requre sending a SP to the Rangers as well. Rios has one more year on his contract, but the money is pretty similar. Young could slide in as the everyday 3B for the next few seasons.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
I do wonder about a Rios for Young swap. The Rangers are said to be desparately looking for a CF and Young has become a $16M utility player for them. It would requre sending a SP to the Rangers as well. Rios has one more year on his contract, but the money is pretty similar. Young could slide in as the everyday 3B for the next few seasons.

I wouldn't give them a SP of value, but yeah, I'd probably do that. That's a reasonable bad deal swap.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)

If the Sox go cheap next year, Erik Bedard as a FA option wouldn't make me mad, esp. if Cooper is still here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
Miguel Cabrera

Brad Radke (joking)

Jason Kubel

Michael Cuddyer

Willits

Ichiro

Fukudome

A couple key names from that list (Cuddyer, Fukudome) are Free Agents this offseason and might show up at that point as well

Basically we owe Rios $43 million more dollars (including buyout and $1 million per season salary increase in the case of a trade b4 2014)

Young would cost us $24 million through the end of next season.

Obviously Young would be a huge upgrade over Morel at 3B, but...

Who would play CF? You're going to have to make another trade/acquisition or play some combination of Lillibridge/DeAza/Danks in CF. Assuming we kept Quentin and Viciedo together, the huge premium would then go to finding a CFer who could play stout defense to make up for the shortcomings on either side of him.

So let's say you trade Rios and Jackson for Young. That makes sense. But trading Rios and Floyd for Young, that puts our entire rotation into flux for 2012 because then we'd only have Danks (maybe), Humber, Peavy and Sale (???) and another ??? at the 5th spot. Who knows what ends up happening with Buehrle.

I don't think he would want to stay if he knew he was going to be part of a 2-3 year rebuilding/restructuring effort.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Who would play CF? You're going to have to make another trade/acquisition or play some combination of Lillibridge/DeAza/Danks in CF. Assuming we kept Quentin and Viciedo together, the huge premium would then go to finding a CFer who could play stout defense to make up for the shortcomings on either side of him.

So let's say you trade Rios and Jackson for Young. That makes sense. But trading Rios and Floyd for Young, that puts our entire rotation into flux for 2012 because then we'd only have Danks (maybe), Humber, Peavy and Sale (???) and another ??? at the 5th spot. Who knows what ends up happening with Buehrle.

I don't think he would want to stay if he knew he was going to be part of a 2-3 rebuilding/restructuring of the organization.

If you can clear out Rios's contract, you don't care who you put in CF this year, that spot is fillable with developmental people if you do a full rebuild or a FA bandaid next year.

Personally I'd still like to see De Aza and the Stealth Elf get regular playing time to see what they can do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
If you can clear out Rios's contract, you don't care who you put in CF this year, that spot is fillable with developmental people if you do a full rebuild or a FA bandaid next year.

Personally I'd still like to see De Aza and the Stealth Elf get regular playing time to see what they can do.

Exactly. The hope would be that you have competent hitters 1-8, and you can bat the CFer 9th and try to get, at best, league average production from that person (or platoon).

The next problem is...are you willing to already write off Brent Morel?

Because acquiring Michael Young would block him for 1 1/2 seasons...you're not going to see Young splitting time with Dunn at DH, not for the amount of money both those guys make.

So Young would logically have to play 3B for us.

I suppose you could just stick him back in AAA for 18 months, but I'm not sure if that's fair to Morel. Who knows, doubt this trade will even happen because I'm not sure if any team out there is clamoring for Alex Rios, especially the Rangers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
If the Sox go cheap next year, Erik Bedard as a FA option wouldn't make me mad, esp. if Cooper is still here.

I like Bedard too, but then we have to find someone to make the 10-15 starts he misses due to injury. With Peavy already in the rotation, that could lead to trouble.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)

Because acquiring Michael Young would block him for 1 1/2 seasons...you're not going to see Young splitting time with Dunn at DH, not for the amount of money both those guys make.

I suppose you could just stick him back in AAA for 18 months, but I'm not sure if that's fair to Morel. Who knows, doubt this trade will even happen because I'm not sure if any team out there is clamoring for Alex Rios, especially the Rangers.

I would like to see Morel succeed, and in a perfect world, he gets all of this year to improve and perform. At the same time, it isn't as if Morel is some "can't miss" prospect, and any way of getting rid of Rios would feel like a huge win.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)

I wouldn't mind sending Morel down for part of next year and seeing how things developed. He has options left and if we're throwing in the towel, I'm not in a hurry.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I like Bedard too, but then we have to find someone to make the 10-15 starts he misses due to injury. With Peavy already in the rotation, that could lead to trouble.

Again, if we're rebuilding, who cares?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
I wouldn't mind sending Morel down for part of next year and seeing how things developed. He has options left and if we're throwing in the towel, I'm not in a hurry.

If you punt on 2011, he needs to be there 5-6 days a week, not in Charlotte.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
If you punt on 2011, he needs to be there 5-6 days a week, not in Charlotte.

Priorities kiddo, priorities. Clearing $18 million of the money remaining on Rios's deal would be a much bigger priority to me than Morel playing every day in the bigs.

Plus, at some point, perhaps mid next year, Young would be moveable again, just depends on how much we want to chip in to make it happen.