Adam Dunn Articles and Quotes thread

oldsox

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite having a key single in Chicago’s win over Justin Verlander in the second-half opener, Dunn has resumed his poor play overall, going 1-for-8 with four Ks in the two games he’s hit cleanup at DH. Autin frames Dunn’s underwhelming July (four hits in 43 at-bats for an .093 average, .188 on-base and .233 slugging) in some creative ways, most notably by pointing out that Derek Jeter had more hits (five) in the game in which he tapped out his 3,000th hit than Dunn has managed all month long.

Ouch. Yeah, there's no place for Viciedo.

Is there any reason to believe that Dunn would improve next year? I am not a hitting guru by any means but a lot of you guys say that certain hitters swings (like Beckham's) is too long - is that the case for Adam Dunn? Year to year stats indicate he has never had something this bad happen to him ever, but at least there was some consistency with his strikeouts to give KW an idea of what he was getting himself into.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Is there any reason to believe that Dunn would improve next year? I am not a hitting guru by any means but a lot of you guys say that certain hitters swings (like Beckham's) is too long - is that the case for Adam Dunn? Year to year stats indicate he has never had something this bad happen to him ever, but at least there was some consistency with his strikeouts to give KW an idea of what he was getting himself into.

Adam Dunn has always, always, always had a swing that was described as "Too long". That's how he swings and why he always piles up the strikeouts. He takes a big long swing, when he hits the ball it goes 440 feet, but then he misses the ball a lot.

"When you hit a mark, good or bad, it’s a mark,” Guillen said. “I will sit him down if he’s not helping the ballclub. But not because of a mark, not at all, no. [if] we need him to take a break and give somebody a chance, I will do it … Stats are going to be good or bad at the end of the season. I just worry about putting the best guys out there every time.”

UMMMMMM.....Ozzie? Hello? :huh

I think Rios is even more scary going forward than Dunn.

Alex's OPS on the road is now closing in on 400 for the entire season. That's almost impossible to do.

PLEASE NEVER MAKE A STATEMENT AGAIN ABOUT LEADING THE WHITE SOX in the 2nd half. Thanks for your time and consideration, guys.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
roving ot

I think Rios is even more scary going forward than Dunn.

Alex's OPS on the road is now closing in on 400 for the entire season. That's almost impossible to do.

PLEASE NEVER MAKE A STATEMENT AGAIN ABOUT LEADING THE WHITE SOX in the 2nd half. Thanks for your time and consideration, guys.

As bad as Rios / dunn are they play nearly every day. Doesn't OzzieKW get it? It is one thing to have players that suck but when do you come to the realization that they are not improving nor are they going to improve.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
It's time to bench Dunn. It's beyond obvious, as he's not coming close to breaking out of it. Still plenty of games left on his contract for him to hopefully at least become mediocre, but for right now...it has got to be Viciedo time.

That's right . Dunn has been disgustingly brutal. Right now Viciedo with a broken arm is better than Dunn.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:15 AM)
That's right . Dunn has been disgustingly brutal. Right now Viciedo with a broken arm is better than Dunn.

Is that hyperbole? Not even sure anymore at this rate.

We need Pete Gray (Grey?) or Jim Abbott to test this nascent theory...

What frustrates me the most is that OG continues to pencil Dunn in against lefty starters. There's really no excuse or explanation for that at this point. I really hope he isn't, but I'll be shocked if he's not in the heart of the order against Duffy tonight.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
I wonder if Dunn can even hit minor league pitching at this point.

He's that bad.

I'm still waiting for the rest of the lineup to hit minor league pitching. Or where all those Ks last night just my imagination?

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/19/11/Ballant...&feedID=621

After just days ago remaining steadfastly confident in seasonlong slumpers Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen seems to have reversed course on the latter, parking the Canyonero for Tuesday’s game vs. Kansas City Royals lefthander Danny Duffy — and perhaps longer.

“Obviously, I want to be out there, but it is what it is,” Dunn said of sitting out Tuesday. “Obviously, there are reasons for it.”

Asked whether Dunn would be back in the lineup against lefthander Bruce Chen in Wednesday’s finale vs. the Royals, Guillen was surprisingly honest.

“I don't know yet. I don't know yet,” Guillen said. “It depends. Tormorrow we play, the next day is off, I’ll figure it out. We’ll see how we work today. I want those guys to get some at-bats. It depends on how we do today — then we’ll figure out tomorrow.”

By “those guys,” Guillen refers to subs Brent Lillibridge, starting in right field on Tuesday (regular RF Carlos Quentin moves to DH) as well as Brent Morel, starting at third base for the first time of the second half. By Guillen’s word, if Lilli and/or Morel have a strong game — or even Tyler Flowers, starting at catcher tonight but available to DH — Dunn could sit until their bats run cold.

Guillen first sighed when asked, again, to address Dunn’s struggles.

“He got a couple of big RBI — in Detroit it was? — against the best pitcher in the game [Justin Verlander],” Guillen said with a small smile of surprise. “Then we said, ‘There we go, we got him back, the break helped him.’”

Despite a key two-run single off of Verlander in the first game back from the All-Star break, Dunn went 0-for-3 yesterday and is 7-for-79 with 40 strikeouts in his last 22 games. Since the break, Dunn is 2-for-15 with seven strikeouts, and since his sole two RBIs of the second half vs. Verlander, Dunn is 1-for-13 with six Ks in the three games. As of last weekend, he was on pace for an AL-record 216 Ks.

“I don’t think so,” Dunn said when asked if he’s taken a step back since that first day back from the break. “They’re making adjustments — yesterday I got pitched differently. I’m just being too aggressive since the All-Star break, and they’re taking advantage of it by throwing me soft stuff early, and that’s not my game.

“Everything is there, except me swinging at bad pitches. I’m working the count, putting myself in good hitters’ counts, and not making them pay.”

“Everything goes through your mind when every time you [have a player] go to the plate and you’re hoping for something good to happen, and it continues to not happen,” Guillen lamented. “What can we do? Believe me, we can [only] just throw him out there and play him.”

Guillen, despite stopping short of the endorsement he gave Dunn just a few games ago, still strongly supports his slugger.

“We try to help him physically and mentally, give him a vote of confidence. We tell him we still believe in him, we don’t regret signing him, he’s not ‘the man’ on this ballclub, he doesn’t have to carry the ballclub,” Guillen said.

“Everything is in his favor. The only thing that’s not in his favor is he’s not producing. How will he come out of this? Keep playing. He has to do it for himself. We can’t do anything about it. We’ve gotta play him and hope it all works out for the best. There aren’t many options.”

In recent games, anecdotal observations show that Guillen is a bit less supportive of his DH, seen in something as simple as how Guillen reacts to another Big Donkey K. Weeks earlier, Dunn was still getting supportive pats on the back from his skipper upon return to the dugout, while lately the manager has tended to be supportive, but more broadly of his team — turning his back to Dunn at times.

Anecdote aside, there's no misunderstanding: Guillen's rope has gotten shorter with his free agent prize.

“If I keep seeing him struggle, I’ll give him more breaks here and there, to make sure he’s mentally fine,” Guillen said. “But the only way to come out of it is to keep playing.”