Cooper hangs up on show after Dayan question

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1354830.story

Don Cooper gets paid to do a sports-talk radio appearance each Thursday morning, but the Chicago White Sox pitching coach cut the session short this week, angrily hanging up on the hosts after being asked whether Dayan Viciedo could help the team's struggling offense.

"I have no clue about that. I'm a coach," Cooper fumed during his session on "The Mully & Hanley Show" on WSCR-AM 670. "Do I feel like something (needs to be done)? Yeah, we have to score some runs. That's what's got to be done. And if we do, we have a chance to win. And if we don't, we won't.

"Nice try, asking me to bring up (bleeping) Viciedo. I not in charge of making moves, I'm in charge of coaching."

When host Brian Hanley told Cooper that he wasn't trying to put him on the spot, Cooper hung up.

Earlier, Cooper had taken issue with a statement about pitcher Phil Humber having had two bad outings recently, correcting it to "one bad outing and one bad inning (Sunday at Detroit) ... now your question, please."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got real full of himself after 05.

I'm not saying he's not good at what he does. Clearly he has paid dividends as a pitching coach.

But it may be time for him to stay away from the microphones. If all he's doing is promoting his camps, then he's got to learn to not be such a dick.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
And this is why Coop will not be offered the manager position if it becomes opened. He can't handle the media well at all.

I was about to say this exact same thing. He's way too touchy and defensive. I even hear it in his voice when he talks to Ranger on the pre-game show.

Does management of any other team in baseball get away with being jerks as much as the Sox? I swear, these guys get away with, to put it lightly, being less than civil much more than any other organization I've ever heard about.

Our manager routinely either flat-out calls people morons, often the fans, or very strongly hints at it and acts as though he's unquestionable. Our pitching coach cannot take even the slightest amount of criticism, and our GM is the same way, plus he also acts like he could never be wrong.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Does management of any other team in baseball get away with being jerks as much as the Sox? I swear, these guys get away with, to put it lightly, being less than civil much more than any other organization I've ever heard about.

Our manager routinely either flat-out calls people morons, often the fans, or very strongly hints at it and acts as though he's unquestionable. Our pitching coach cannot take even the slightest amount of criticism, and our GM is the same way, plus he also acts like he could never be wrong.

Fire no one, promote no one, make no changes.

All-in.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
I heard it... I loved it... and I love that this team's management is falling apart. I reckon Coop is sick of watching no runs being scored as much as the rest of us.

For sure. He's got his crew of guys to look out for (our pitchers). When he sees Danks go out and throw 7 scoreless and get a no-decision it has really got to be frustrating for him. He's doing everything on his end to get this team some wins and our hitters continue to let the pitching down (think about Danks' 0-8 start with 6 QSs).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)

To be fair, how often do you listen to or check out other team's daily/routine media relations?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
To be fair, how often do you listen to or check out other team's daily/routine media relations?

To be fair, Ozzie Guillen gets national pub and finds his way to Sportscenter more than any other manager in the game, and he's not affiliated with the Red Sox or Yankees. Clearly, anyone who has followed Oz the last 8 years knows the dude is at least a few levels more foul-mouthed and ridiculous than any other manager in the game.

I don't mind Coop having a meltdown; as somebody else pointed out, he's the one guy we KNOW is getting the job done and yeah, it's gotta suck putting that pitching out there and then watching us lose game after game because the Sox can't even score 2 runs, even against some no-name rookie pitcher.

I'm not sure why they asked him about Viciedo--that wouldn't even be his call and it would be even worse if he commented on it.

But yeah something needs to change ASAP unless we want to guarantee a 2007-like season and to that end why the f*** has Greg Walker not been fired yet? I mean, dammit...

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
But yeah something needs to change ASAP unless we want to guarantee a 2007-like season and to that end why the f*** has Greg Walker not been fired yet? I mean, dammit...

He easily has the longest tenure for hitting coaches in our division. Perhaps they want him to get him some sort of Iron Man award for longevity and keep him here for 30+ years. The Cal Ripken of hitting coaches.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Well on the Score this morning I know they think that Walker should be fired today and Dayan Viciedo would be brought up. I laughed because I know none of those moves will happen.

Why would they, its not like the offense is struggling or anything.....Just stay the course, we've obviously been so successful with what we have.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
To be fair, Ozzie Guillen gets national pub and finds his way to Sportscenter more than any other manager in the game, and he's not affiliated with the Red Sox or Yankees. Clearly, anyone who has followed Oz the last 8 years knows the dude is at least a few levels more foul-mouthed and ridiculous than any other manager in the game.

He's just one person, talking about our staff as a whole is different, which is what I was getting at.