Share |

Story

Discussion

Joe Strauss | Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:06 am | 1 Comment

Font Size:

Default font size

Larger font size

Share5

PITTSBURGH -- Publicly insistent that they are not seeking a destination for center fielder Colby Rasmus, the Cardinals have made the struggling 24-year-old talent available for the right deal with the Chicago White Sox, according to several sources familiar with the situation.

With a week remaining before Major League Baseball's July 31 non-waiver trade deadline the Cardinals are pressing their push for pitching help. General manager John Mozeliak has encountered frustration in acquiring help without subtracting from the team's major-league roster or from its list of premium prospects, a list that begins with pitchers Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez.

Negotiations with White Sox general manager Kenny Williams have accelerated in recent days, according to sources, with the Sox able to dangle pending free agent pitcher Edwin Jackson or lefthanded reliever Matt Thornton.

Talks also hinge on minor-league talent the White Sox could include in a deal and, according to a source, a third team may be sought to facilitate a trade.

Mozeliak Sunday morning reiterated his refusal to discuss any specific deal.

The dynamic between Rasmus and the club has further eroded since Mozeliak publicly asserted that he was adamantly opposed to trading the team's 2005 first-round draft pick.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/pr...l#ixzz1T2Vs6JKX

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Rasmus for Viciedo/Thornton/Jackson is far too much from our end.

Oh yeah, a OF of somebody-Rasmus-Viciedo would be a nice youth movement. Though that somebody I guess would be Rios since he is immovable. I would also trade Q for Beachy if that is legit.

The Sox have not done a good job with young talented position players. They tend to stagnate and regress. Is Rasmus overhyped here on Soxtalk? Some posters have been wanting this guy for years. Salary relief may be necessary since the team has been so below expectations that it can be frustrating to go and watch them. I'm ready for any changes since they will not make the changes in coaching and manager.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I'm calling BS. Why would they trade Rasmus for an impending FA and a 35 year old reliever?

Think of this...if they get Viciedo from us, then they can trade him for Heath Bell. Since John Jay has been far superior to Rasmus this year, this trade makes them a hell of a lot better this year (which is definitely their "All In" season also).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I'm calling BS. Why would they trade Rasmus for an impending FA and a 35 year old reliever?

Because they think Rasmus is overhyped and they hate his attitude and other character concerns.

If we trade what I believe to be our best pure hitter since Frank Thomas and a guy who's only getting better (and I am notoriously cynical of prospects) for a guy with a .258 career batting average, I'm gonna quit. Well, no...I could never quit on this team. I'll probably just cry like a b****.

But seriously, this is so stupid. No deal for Rasmus should include anything more than Thornton. If Viciedo goes, we're the stupidest team in baseball.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
If we trade what I believe to be our best pure hitter since Frank Thomas and a guy who's only getting better (and I am notoriously cynical of prospects) for a guy with a .258 career batting average, I'm gonna quit. Well, no...I could never quit on this team. I'll probably just cry like a b****.

But seriously, this is so stupid. No deal for Rasmus should include anything more than Thornton. If Viciedo goes, we're the stupidest team in baseball.

Rasmus has way more value than Viciedo does

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
they hate his attitude and other character concerns.

Oh, he's got an attitude? He really is Alex Rios: Part Deuce, just like I said in the other thread. Ugh.