Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
The good news is that as long as it's not Viciedo, I really don't care which of our minor leaguers we trade.

I wouldn't think the Sox would trade Viciedo anyway would you? All the hype KW and Ozzie have given this guy to suddenly trade him away for Rasmus, who isn't performing at any high rate from what the stats seem to show. Where does Viciedo now firt in unless we see a remake of our OF. I guess Dayan could end up at 3B after all

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm calling BS. Why would they trade Rasmus for an impending FA and a 35 year old reliever?

Because Rasmus is not all that, and Jackson/Thornton may be the difference in them winning their division.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
I only like trading pitching for pitching, not to re-debate this, but look at the Swisher trade, same premise, two young pitchers for an underachieving outfielder. Here we go again.

The old adage in baseball was never to trade a pitcher for a hitter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Because they think Rasmus is overhyped and they hate his attitude and other character concerns.

Tony LaRussa can do that to some people, especially young players.

Maybe a fresh start is what Rasmus needs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Rasmus has way more value than Viciedo does

Value? What the hell is value? He's proven nothing in his three major league years thus far. I don't see much value in that. Viciedo, on the other hand, hammered the ball all over the place in his limited showing last year, and only continues to do so this year.

Besides, there's nothing saying we have to part with Viciedo to get Rasmus, is there?

And what's the peak line for Rasmus? Are we talking .280/25/90 or what? Or is he just a .260/20/60 guy?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Value? What the hell is value? He's proven nothing in his three major league years thus far. I don't see much value in that. Viciedo, on the other hand, hammered the ball all over the place in his limited showing last year, and only continues to do so this year.

Besides, there's nothing saying we have to part with Viciedo to get Rasmus, is there?

And what's the peak line for Rasmus? Are we talking .280/25/90 or what? Or is he just a .260/20/60 guy?

2010 .276/.361/.498/.859

That is not "nothing"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Rasmus has way more value than Viciedo does

Value that will decline rapidly if he can't beat out Jay. If the Cardinals have made this decision, they NEED to trade Rasmus soon to get a fair deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Rasmus was pretty freaking good last season

and that was at the age of 23

and hes under control for 3 more years, while despite being arb eligible, still should be relatively cheap. So to those saying he's like Alex Rios, yes he's like alex rios but 5.5 years younger and significantly cheaper

if you have a chance to get this guy for Jackson or thornton you do it in a heartbeat

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
and that was at the age of 23

and hes under control for 3 more years, while despite being arb eligible, still should be relatively cheap. So to those saying he's like Alex Rios, yes he's like alex rios but 5.5 years younger and significantly cheaper

if you have a chance to get this guy for Jackson or thornton you do it in a heartbeat

No Brainer too me.

k is the rumours that are flying out there Jackson for Rasmus/Thornton for Rasmus or is Jackson+Thornton for Rasmus. I dunno if I would include both in a deal for Rasmus even if Thornton has been not his usual shutdown player this year

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
no worries buddy, great minds think alike, ya know? :gosox3:

Yes they do :) So Im guessing with Jackson and Matt we would be giving up a prospect as well?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
What if it is not Jackson? What if it is Mark Buehrle? What if the Sox reached out to Mark for a few more years and were not even close on the numbers. Complete guess but it makes me wonder with the Cards involved.

Not happening. The Sox pretty much can't trade Buehrle

I wonder what team needs to make such a trade more? If you agree that pitching is a cornerstone of a winnnig team we seem willing to admit we aren't in it and trade two pitchers for an outfielder, who may have talent mind you, but has been criticized for the same type of play we attribute to Rios. I don't like players with negative attitudes. I can see making trades that improve both teams, but to do afire sale is simply admitting you can't win your division. Kind of like we give up cause we aren't in frst place. Only six teams are in 1st so 24 should be sellers. If we have no intyention of trying to keep our starting staff intact then by all measn try and make such a trade using Jackson. But, not both Thornton and Jackson. Maybe the Sox are looking for more young talent in return so trading both makes sense then. Regardless, you make trades to help your team fill a need not open more up.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
I wonder what team needs to make such a trade more? If you agree that pitching is a cornerstone of a winnnig team we seem willing to admit we aren't in it and trade two pitchers for an outfielder, who may have talent mind you, but has been criticized for the same type of play we attribute to Rios. I don't like players with negative attitudes. I can see making trades that improve both teams, but to do afire sale is simply admitting you can't win your division. Kind of like we give up cause we aren't in frst place. Only six teams are in 1st so 24 should be sellers. If we have no intyention of trying to keep our starting staff intact then by all measn try and make such a trade using Jackson. But, not both Thornton and Jackson. Maybe the Sox are looking for more young talent in return so trading both makes sense then. Regardless, you make trades to help your team fill a need not open more up.

Remember, we do have 6 starting pitchers this year. And Thornton really hasn't been Thornton this year anyways.