Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Moving a 35 year old MR with 2 more years on his contract (I think) is not a big move.

Given his importance to our bullpen this year, I would disagree. That's a big hole for our AAA to fill.

I can't see any scenario where Thornton is the only one that goes. If we're giving up, the first guy to make sure you move is Jackson.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Sale has been in Thorntons role the last few days. If the Sox wanted a third lefty (they have Sale/Ohman) Santiago was decent.

It wouldnt be giving up at all, it would be trading a depreciating asset while it still has value.

I was just going to say that Sale has made Matt expendable at about 1/12th the price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I was just going to say that Sale has made Matt expendable at about 1/12th the price.

The biggest worry of course is that trading Thornton would leave Sale pigeonholed into middle relief next year when he ought to be working as a starter. That would be a terrible outcome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
The biggest worry of course is that trading Thornton would leave Sale pigeonholed into middle relief next year when he ought to be working as a starter. That would be a terrible outcome.

Depends on what our starting rotation and team philosophy are next year. if we are still in win now mode, it is kind of impossible to put the training wheels on and build innings for Sale. If we have sold off, a $6 million middle reliever is something we don't really need anyway, so it won't matter nearly as much if there is a hole in the pen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Unless the Sox are rebuilding, Sale will be in the pen. Even if MB and Jackson leave, I still think the Sox are more likely to try and find a diamond in the rough FA pitcher as the 5 and keep sale in the MR role.

Well with where they drafted him his endgame should be the rotation or closer. If he is stuck in MR then it was a severe overdraft and we would be better off flipping him to another team. His endgame should be in the rotation where he has a few pitches. The only questions is durability with his delivery.

Edited by southsideirish71

I disagree with most peoples opinion on this board regarding Sale.

If you get a dynamite left handed set up man, who can throw 1-2 innings in the first round, you did your job. So many 1st round picks never even make the majors, let alone have any impact. Im pretty sure if the Sox put Sale on the market hed command more than a middle to late first round draft pick.

Sale could close, but Sergio is doing fine and Sale can throw more innings out of the set up role than he would as closer. You could potentially get 80-100 ip from Sale, where as closers usually are under 50.

If you watched Sale go 3 innings just battering the Royals, with his defense letting him down once or twice, before he finally got tired, you'd know why I think letting that wither in the bullpen is just a stupid unforced error.

If Sale's future in the majors is as a reliever, that's ok. However, they need to give him a shot at starting to see if he can do it. Anything else would just be symbolic of the short-sighted nature of this organization.

Im not sure 3 innings is close to 6 innings, but I understand why people want Sale to have a shot at starting. Based on the way the Sox have gone about it, I just dont necessarily see it happening. Durability/arm were concerns when he was drafted. If the guy is an elite reliever for 10 years, I really wont second guess anything.

Either way I think youd need about a year to get him ready for MLB starting (off season to work on strength, then hed need time in AAA)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Moving a 35 year old MR with 2 more years on his contract (I think) is not a big move.

Look what the Dodgers had to give up to get George Sherrill to pitch in MR in his walk year. A top prospect in Josh Bell and a second fringe prospect. Thornton has a better track record than Sherrill did, who's success turned out to be an anomaly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
If Sale's future in the majors is as a reliever, that's ok. However, they need to give him a shot at starting to see if he can do it. Anything else would just be symbolic of the short-sighted nature of this organization.

This ^

Yeah, if he's the next Thornton, I'm happy. But I'd much rather he be the next top-rotation lefty starter, so if he has a chance at that, we have to give him a try. He can easily just do a Joba and fall back into the bullpen at anytime, but it's much harder to go the other way.

I think it would be something akin to gross negligence on the part of Sox management not to at least give him a shot at starting and see what we might have there. And if it doesn't work out, well then, you just put him back in the 'pen again. Simple as that!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Lance Berkman hurt his shoulder last night. Even IF Rasmus was going anywhere before that, he likely isn't now.

My dad will be elated. Trading Rasmus would have been absolutely an terrible move for the Cardinals.