Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
We have Peavy under contract for next year too. If we had to protect his health this year, what makes you believe we shouldn't protect it next year? He has done nothing to prove to us that he can go a full season of being healthy.

Conditioning is a big part of getting him healthy. We need him to pitch in order to be in pitching shape.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
"One player will not make a difference" -- Ozzie Guillen/Chris Rongey

This stupidity must end. If we lose this division by two or three games (possible, maybe even probable) could one player have made the difference?

Yer dadgum f****** right he would!

FWIW, latest from Cowley, apparently through a source in front office, says there's nothing to the Rasmus rumors.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
FWIW, latest from Cowley, apparently through a source in front office, says there's nothing to the Rasmus rumors.

THis just means that they didnt tell Ozzie, so Oney doesnt know.

If the Tigers add a quality starting pitcher like they are trying like crazy to do then the Sox are done. They can't catch Detroit with another solid starter even if they got Rasmus for Jackson straight up.

The Sox are just not good. They will not finish ahead of Minny and Detroit merely by adding Rasmus and bringing up Viciedo.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
If the Tigers add a quality starting pitcher like they are trying like crazy to do then the Sox are done. They can't catch Detroit with another solid starter even if they got Rasmus for Jackson straight up.

The Sox are just not good. They will not finish ahead of Minny and Detroit merely by adding Rasmus and bringing up Viciedo.

Who is this quality starter their going to get. Their really isn't much out there. Why would the Tigers adding a pitcher automatically give them the division, but the Sox adding a bat would give them nothing? What's the logic in that. The Tigers have been outscored by their opponents this year, but are somehow 7 games over .500. That kind of trend usually does not last a whole season.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Who is this quality starter their going to get. Their really isn't much out there. Why would the Tigers adding a pitcher automatically give them the division, but the Sox adding a bat would give them nothing? What's the logic in that. The Tigers have been outscored by their opponents this year, but are somehow 7 games over .500. That kind of trend usually does not last a whole season.

Edwin Jackson is available.

Jonah Keri FanGraphs chat today:

Comment From Eminor3rd

Rasmus to the White Sox has been revived lately. They're saying Edwin Jackson and/or Matt Thornton is involved. I like anything that spells the end of the Juan Pierre era, but giving up those guys is placing a lot of confidence in Peavy staying healthy this year and next, as the absence of Thornton has to mean Sale remains in the 'pen long-termish. Thoughts?

12:43

Jonah Keri: If you're the White Sox you have to make that trade, given Rasmus' potential. The added benefit is you could save some cash which could be applied toward acquiring whatever else you need. Love Kenny Williams, he makes the deadline so interesting.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 03:03 AM)
This clubhouse doesn't show any signs of rehabilitating players that are unhappy elsewhere. The Sox are the end of line for mental projects. The Oakland Raider of MLB.

So you mean that AJ Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye, Bobby Jenks, Jose Contreras, Matt Thornton, Gavin Floyd, and Carlos Quentin all suck. I don't know if all of them were unhappy, but for whatever reasons, all of those players found struggles elsewhere and, through both the White Sox organization and the major league clubhouse, those players have found sustained success with the White Sox.

Beyond that, I don't believe Rasmus is a "mental midget." I believe he has been completely thrown under the bus by Tony LaRussa and it is going to be impossible for him to get out of that. I'm hoping the Sox can make the best offer for him and get him, because he is an incredible talent who I believe would blossom with the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
So you mean that AJ Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye, Bobby Jenks, Jose Contreras, Matt Thornton, Gavin Floyd, and Carlos Quentin all suck. I don't know if all of them were unhappy, but for whatever reasons, all of those players found struggles elsewhere and, through both the White Sox organization and the major league clubhouse, those players have found sustained success with the White Sox.

Beyond that, I don't believe Rasmus is a "mental midget." I believe he has been completely thrown under the bus by Tony LaRussa and it is going to be impossible for him to get out of that. I'm hoping the Sox can make the best offer for him and get him, because he is an incredible talent who I believe would blossom with the White Sox.

Exactly. He's showing all the signs of struggling to fit into a mold that TLR created for him. Being a power hitter at a speed position corroborates this. This seems to be one of the better buy-low opportunities around, in terms of the likeliness that he'd improve with a change of scenery.

Then again, Ozzie may be no better than TLR...

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Exactly. He's showing all the signs of struggling to fit into a mold that TLR created for him. Being a power hitter at a speed position corroborates this. This seems to be one of the better buy-low opportunities around, in terms of the likeliness that he'd improve with a change of scenery.

Then again, Ozzie may be no better than TLR...

That's what I'm worried about.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Jonah Keri FanGraphs chat today:

If the Sox can move TCQ, Jackson, and Thornton, that is $20 million in contracts gone, or about $8million this year. If they get back some quality kids in the process, they have just rebuilt on the fly again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
If the Sox can move TCQ, Jackson, and Thornton, that is $20 million in contracts gone, or about $8million this year. If they get back some quality kids in the process, they have just rebuilt on the fly again.

My hope is that money coming off the books, combined with our slight "youth movement" allows us enough cash to re-sign Buehrle. I can't picture him in another uniform.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
My hope is that money coming off the books, combined with our slight "youth movement" allows us enough cash to re-sign Buehrle. I can't picture him in another uniform.

I still think he retires if we don't sign him. STL won't give him enough money because they're saving for Pujols. If they would, they'd give it to Carpenter.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)

I see Buehrle being a "special" JR negotiation. I struggle to see a situation where he wouldn't be back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)

The market has opened up perfectly for KW to make a killing with Jackson, Thornton and Quentin. The three most in-demand positions with fewest number of legitimate good players are starting pitching, lefty relief and power hitting outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
The market has opened up perfectly for KW to make a killing with Jackson, Thornton and Quentin. The three most in-demand positions with fewest number of legitimate good players are starting pitching, lefty relief and power hitting outfielders.

If Thornton is being talked about, then we should end this week with Ohman on the Yankees, FWIW.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)

And by stroke of luck, we have "ready made" replacements for each of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
And by stroke of luck, we have "ready made" replacements for each of them.

Yep, if we lose tonight's game, then root for a Tigers sweep (with Peavy going against Verlander, I don't think we really have to "hope" for a Sox loss). I'm happy to hear that KW is scouting the systems of Yanks, Phillies and Red Sox. Phillies and Yankees really seem to be the best fits for possible trades, with Quentin going to Phillies and Jackson/lefty reliever to Yankees.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
Yep, if we lose tonight's game, then root for a Tigers sweep (with Peavy going against Verlander, I don't think we really have to "hope" for a Sox loss). I'm happy to hear that KW is scouting the systems of Yanks, Phillies and Red Sox. Phillies and Yankees really seem to be the best fits for possible trades, with Quentin going to Phillies and Jackson/lefty reliever to Yankees.

There's a big issue with the Phillies...they're only about a million away from having to pay the luxury tax, but they're not ready to part with salary from their big league team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)

Hopefully Kenny realizes that this years risk isn't worth next years mess. Auction off the replaceable pieces to the highest bidder and keep going on the fly.