Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Here is a conspiracy theory (note I dont believe it at all)

Sox are really trading MB to Cardinals, they moved back Humber's start so MB could pitch tonight (in front of home crowd) and then could be traded.

WOOOooOOO

Also, no.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I seriously vetted this rumor using a variety of sources from the internets.

(im really kidding but I never get to make up ridiculous trades)

I know, I'm just saying its ridiculous.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Odd that this story pops up from Merkin just days before the trade deadline and the Sox reportedly talking trade with St. Louis. Buehrle's future on South Side not certain

Why bring this up before the trade deadline? I think something is up.

He pitched today and that gave something on topic to write about.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
I dunno, don't we have enough of dem guys who are hitting under .250 already. I'm just saying.

No we seem to be lacking in the department of 5 tool players with elite potential who are cost-controlled for the next 3 years. People really need to start looking past Rasmus's struggles this year. He is only 24, and even with his bad season he still has an OPS in the neighborhood of .750 which is better than half of our team. He's got great speed, great power from a small frame, a cannon for an arm (he's been clocked in excess of 95MPH), great defensive potential, and should wind up being in the neighborhood of a .280 - .300 hitter. The one thing he's got against him is that his own manager has a personal vendetta against him for what ever reason. It's hard to succeed in that environment, combined with the fact that his hitting coach was an all or nothing juicer that really couldn't hit a lick. I don't get it. What's not to like about this kid?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
"Defensive potential" is a hard thing to gauge, but his defense has been somewhat below average as a CF this year.

Yea he has been a little off, but as a rookie he had a 1.7 dWAR. It is hard to gauge, but with great speed and a great arm, plus I think good instincts that equates to "defensive potential" to me anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
"Defensive potential" is a hard thing to gauge, but his defense has been somewhat below average as a CF this year.

I actually think he's a much better fielder as a RF. Always have since he was a prospect. (though he didn't play it very much during those times, if at all. I believe he played some LF)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
I actually think he's a much better fielder as a RF. Always have since he was a prospect.

Most people would be. Rios was a great RF and average CF.

The difference right now is that Rasmus's current bat would be below average for an RF and above average for a Cf.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Here is a conspiracy theory (note I dont believe it at all)

Sox are really trading MB to Cardinals, they moved back Humber's start so MB could pitch tonight (in front of home crowd) and then could be traded.

WOOOooOOO

If you trade Buehrle, you do it now. His value hasn't been this high since 2005.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
The difference right now is that Rasmus's current bat would be below average for an RF and above average for a Cf.

And what does that make Rios? And Mike is right in either case, that spot is for Dayan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Forget about RF. If Carlos is traded, that is reserved for Dayan.

I think if they do get Ramus. CQ is gone no questions asked. They would have to clear a spot for Viciedo and Rios is un-tradeable. Next years outfield would potentially be Rios/Rasmus/Viciedo or Rasmus/Rios/Viciedo. If Rios can rebound at all, that could be a really good outfield both offensively and defensively.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
I think if they do get Ramus. CQ is gone no questions asked. They would have to clear a spot for Viciedo and Rios is un-tradeable. Next years outfield would potentially be Rios/Rasmus/Viciedo or Rasmus/Rios/Viciedo. If Rios can rebound at all, that could be a really good outfield both offensively and defensively.

Rios has been so bad that it's hard to see him rebounding. It's amazing how many of our hitters become mentally f***ed once they get here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Rios has been so bad that it's hard to see him rebounding. It's amazing how many of our hitters become mentally f***ed once they get here.

I'm waiting for Greg Walker's video "the art of hitting .250" to file next to my Charlie lau "art of hitting .300" video. Maybe he could get Fred mcgriff (and his high hat) as a pitch man.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)

Maybe not rebounding back to his old self, but I can't see any way he is this bad again.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Maybe not rebounding back to his old self, but I can't see any way he is this bad again.

I think we could have written that line after his disastrous 2 month stint with this team in 2009. Then he rebounded back to his old self. Then he was worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Most people would be. Rios was a great RF and average CF.

Personally I think in two years Rasmus is going to be a stud. I would love to have him on our team. Rios, however, will be an awful bat for a RF.

On the other hand, I would not trade Carlos for Beachy, who has limited upside and is likely to be a #4 or #3 starter at best. Carlos is far and away one of our two best hitters right now. Saying that we have a suitable replacement in Dayan is not persuasive to me. We need both guys in the lineup to have a chance because we have so many other below average hitters. In addition, it is far from proven that Dayan can match Carlos' production.