Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Remember, we do have 6 starting pitchers this year. And Thornton really hasn't been Thornton this year anyways.

Once they moved Thornton back to setup, he pretty much has been himself. Still, with the remaining years on his contract, I'd dump that in the right deal and look to fill the lefty setup role in-house with Santiago. It's too bad Leesman hasn't developed into that role by now.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Remember, we do have 6 starting pitchers this year. And Thornton really hasn't been Thornton this year anyways.

Which means we are trading Thornton at a low value due to his offyear which isn't the best thing to do. But since Thornton did sign a big "closer money" contract I guess it might be good to deal him and Jackson away which can help in locking up young players like Danks or Quentin.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)

No argument, but Matt has been a lot better. He is a set up man and you need that just like we had Cliff Politte in 2005. And the Sox have seemed to do fine with 6 starters and may want to continue. I am just saying there are other considerations to take into account. It is an interesting scenario to say the least and I am sure we all would like to see some kind of move

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
JoeStrauss Joe Strauss

Key element to Sox talks is what prospect(s) or cost-controlled player would be included

from twitter

Sounds like the Cards are trying to rape the Sox. Jackson & Thornton PLUS a prospect/cost controlled player for an underperforming/attitude problem Rasmus? I hope not.

I'd give them Jackson + Thornton for Rasmus + one of their prospects.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Once they moved Thornton back to setup, he pretty much has been himself. Still, with the remaining years on his contract, I'd dump that in the right deal and look to fill the lefty setup role in-house with Santiago. It's too bad Leesman hasn't developed into that role by now.

My concern with that scenario is we annoit a minor league player our set up man after seeing him for 2 games. Many were convinced Josh Field was the new Joe Crede too

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
Sounds like the Cards are trying to rape the Sox. Jackson & Thornton PLUS a prospect/cost controlled player for an underperforming/attitude problem Rasmus? I hope not.

I'd give them Jackson + Thornton for Rasmus + one of their prospects.

I have similar thoughts, but not both pitchers for Rasmus. That is unless that prospect is a darn good one

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
My concern with that scenario is we annoit a minor league player our set up man after seeing him for 2 games. Mnay were convinced Josh Field was the new Joe Crede too

Fair enough, but I like Santiago's arm, and i'm ready to see what he can do the rest of the season, win or lose.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Fair enough, but I like Santiago's arm, and i'm ready to see what he can do the rest of the season, win or lose.

I sure can understand that too. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. To be very honest I knew nothing about Santiago prior to his being called up.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I wonder what team needs to make such a trade more? If you agree that pitching is a cornerstone of a winnnig team we seem willing to admit we aren't in it and trade two pitchers for an outfielder, who may have talent mind you, but has been criticized for the same type of play we attribute to Rios. I don't like players with negative attitudes. I can see making trades that improve both teams, but to do afire sale is simply admitting you can't win your division. Kind of like we give up cause we aren't in frst place. Only six teams are in 1st so 24 should be sellers. If we have no intyention of trying to keep our starting staff intact then by all measn try and make such a trade using Jackson. But, not both Thornton and Jackson. Maybe the Sox are looking for more young talent in return so trading both makes sense then. Regardless, you make trades to help your team fill a need not open more up.

A free agent to be pitcher and Thornton , a 35 yr old guy making some very good cash. Jackson won't be resigning with and Sox and Thornton can be replaced by Santiago . We cut payroll, get younger and don't get worse. Tat should be the trade. No minor leaguers. Cards get a lot of pitching for playoffs /WS run that should mean a lot to them and lose a pain in the ass OF who may never be that good.

I really like Colby Rasmus. If the Sox acquire him, I think there must be another deal in the works because that leaves them with too many outfielders this year and next year.

Quentin and Viciedo could make a pretty studly offensive OF, but Rios & Rasmus would really improve the OF defense.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
I really like Colby Rasmus. If the Sox acquire him, I think there must be another deal in the works because that leaves them with too many outfielders this year and next year.

Quentin and Viciedo could make a pretty studly offensive OF, but Rios & Rasmus would really improve the OF defense.

Rios hasn't been very good at defense in CF this year. He'd be above average on the corners probably...but he'd need to be back to focusing on it, and I'm not sure he's there.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
If we trade what I believe to be our best pure hitter since Frank Thomas and a guy who's only getting better (and I am notoriously cynical of prospects) for a guy with a .258 career batting average, I'm gonna quit. Well, no...I could never quit on this team. I'll probably just cry like a b****.

But seriously, this is so stupid. No deal for Rasmus should include anything more than Thornton. If Viciedo goes, we're the stupidest team in baseball.

who are you talking about?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)

Have you seen Rasmus play CF? Kinda hit or miss at times. Bad jumps etc.

I can't see this deal happening unless the Q for Beachy trade takes place (or something similar). This would leave us with too many outfielders, plus we'll really need that sixth starter in September. With two key doubleheaders against division rivals in that month, do you really want to count on a rehabbed Tony Pena to make these starts???

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Rios hasn't been very good at defense in CF this year. He'd be above average on the corners probably...but he'd need to be back to focusing on it, and I'm not sure he's there.

Replacing either of our corner outfielders with Rasmus would be a significant defensive upgrade.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
A free agent to be pitcher and Thornton , a 35 yr old guy making some very good cash. Jackson won't be resigning with and Sox and Thornton can be replaced by Santiago . We cut payroll, get younger and don't get worse. Tat should be the trade. No minor leaguers. Cards get a lot of pitching for playoffs /WS run that should mean a lot to them and lose a pain in the ass OF who may never be that good.

And we want that?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
I still think the Sox move a LH relief pitcher with Rios to a team. I posted Sale and Rios can get rid of Rios contract rather easily.

No way would I move Sale even if it meant getting rid of Rios' contract