Sox scouting three teams

harfman77

From Joel Sherman's Twitter:

"Heard #Whitesox scouts are spending a lot of time on systems of #Yankees #Redsox #Phillies in case they sell at deadline"

Yankees really have nothing that would get me that excited, Montero is coming back to Earth and they wont trade their good pitching spects. Romine would be pretty good, but Yanks see him as their C of the future.

Red Sox are going to have a crunch on their 40 man roster at the end of the season so they may be willing to give up a little more major league ready talent since the Sox have the room.

The Phillies could probably provide the best talent and probably only figure in if the Sox are going to blow up the bullpen or move Quentin. Quentin could bring back a pretty good haul from the phils, though the prospects would likely all be in A ball this season.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
from olney...

White Sox GM Kenny Williams is talking about turning over entire roster. On the other hand,Twins holding firm. And Chicago is ahead of Minn.

Good! I think KW can retool and the underachieving Sox get BETTER! Now turn over the coaching staff.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Good! I think KW can retool and the underachieving Sox get BETTER! Now turn over the coaching staff.

I'd have no problem with KW selling some farm for an impact bat to man 3B for a while. I think our farm is starting to get stacked.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:44 AM)
from olney...

White Sox GM Kenny Williams is talking about turning over entire roster. On the other hand,Twins holding firm. And Chicago is ahead of Minn.

If this is true, KW is such a disappointment.

He doesn't give Dayan a shot to help wake up this lineup. We already have good enough pitching if we could score runs.

So he never gives Dayan the shot to ignite the team, yet he's going to suddenly turn over the entire roster?? I think he's got a screw loose. Makes NO sense.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)
From Joel Sherman's Twitter:

"Heard #Whitesox scouts are spending a lot of time on systems of #Yankees #Redsox #Phillies in case they sell at deadline"

Yankees really have nothing that would get me that excited, Montero is coming back to Earth and they wont trade their good pitching spects. Romine would be pretty good, but Yanks see him as their C of the future.

Red Sox are going to have a crunch on their 40 man roster at the end of the season so they may be willing to give up a little more major league ready talent since the Sox have the room.

The Phillies could probably provide the best talent and probably only figure in if the Sox are going to blow up the bullpen or move Quentin. Quentin could bring back a pretty good haul from the phils, though the prospects would likely all be in A ball this season.

If the sox dealt with the Phils, the likely targets would be A+ SP's May, Cosart and Colvin. All are 21, 22 with good numbers. The sox are thin in SP in the A+, AA levels. Getting 2 of the 3 would be a decent package.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
If the sox dealt with the Phils, the likely targets would be A+ SP's May, Cosart and Colvin. All are 21, 22 with good numbers. The sox are thin in SP in the A+, AA levels. Getting 2 of the 3 would be a decent package.

A "decent" package? The Phillies aren't trading any of those guys for CQ, let alone two of them. Especially with all the wear and tear on Oswalt's arm and Hamels hitting FA after next season.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
Brent Morel should be more than fine for 2012.

Define "more than fine"?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
A "decent" package? The Phillies aren't trading any of those guys for CQ, let alone two of them. Especially with all the wear and tear on Oswalt's arm and Hamels hitting FA after next season.

See, on this one, that's a difference...those guys are solid arms but are several years away. The Phils have already established they'll move talent and arms to get better now. They're not going to give up on all of them and they'll play hardball, but if they think it's the deal that puts them over the top they'll do it.

I actually think a bigger issue for them is money. They've already spend a fortune, Howard's contract only goes up from here, and they're only about $1 million away from this year's luxury tax threshhold. If they acquire Carlos straight up, they're paying the tax.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)

Define "more than fine"?

If the Sox are trading away Q, they shouldn't give him away. But a package of 2 solid SP prospects, or one of those with a solid position player prospect, is probably close to what Q is worth.

I'd expect Morel to hit similar to what he did in W/S in '09--.280 avg, .330 OBP, with 20 + 2b's, 10-15 HR's. With his stellar D, the sox don't need an upgrade at 3b for 2012

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...p?P=Brent-Morel

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
See, on this one, that's a difference...those guys are solid arms but are several years away. The Phils have already established they'll move talent and arms to get better now. They're not going to give up on all of them and they'll play hardball, but if they think it's the deal that puts them over the top they'll do it.

I actually think a bigger issue for them is money. They've already spend a fortune, Howard's contract only goes up from here, and they're only about $1 million away from this year's luxury tax threshhold. If they acquire Carlos straight up, they're paying the tax.

They've got a big decision to make on Oswalt after the year. He's 34 and has been on the DL for over a month. And he wasn't pitching that well (by his standards) before the injury. Hamels is 'bout to get PAID! Halladay and Lee are obviously going nowhere. But that's $40+ million between the two of them for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying they wouldn't trade any of their top guys. But they would have to be overwhelmed.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
If the Sox are trading away Q, they shouldn't give him away. But a package of 2 solid SP prospects, or one of those with a solid position player prospect, is probably close to what Q is worth.

I'd expect Morel to hit similar to what he did in W/S in '09--.280 avg, .330 OBP, with 20 + 2b's, 10-15 HR's. With his stellar D, the sox don't need an upgrade at 3b for 2012

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...p?P=Brent-Morel

This is awesome. Brent Morel actually posts here. What's goin' on? Why do you make Jeff Francoeur look like a disciplined hitter?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
This is awesome. Brent Morel actually posts here. What's goin' on? Why do you make Jeff Francoeur look like a disciplined hitter?

Morel's hitting .250 in his 1st year in the bigs with only a 11.5 % Strikeout rate. He's not overmatched. He's hit in every spot in the minors and will only improve his SLG. His bat should be fine going forward, esp. with his glove, even if he doesn't walk much.

The only reason his bat is an issue this year is because Dunn and Rios have been awful, and everyone else besides PK hitting less than their career norms.