Frank Statue

lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
wake me when they honor the World Series MVP

Really, guy?

I love Paulie, but he's not even close to Frank Thomas, World Series MVP or not.

1. Paulie has only ever led the American League in one thing, and that was GIDPs in 2003. Frank led it in runs once, doubles once, walks four times, batting average once, OBP four times, SLG once, OPS three times, sac flies once and IBBs twice.

2. Frank scored 100 runs nine times and drove in that many eleven times. Paulie's never done the first thing, and the second, he's only done that five times. He's never driven in 120 runs, which Frank did four times.

3. Paulie one time reached fifth place in MVP voting. He reached sixth another year, and then he reached 16th and 22nd in his only other vote-receiving years. Frank won it twice and finished in the top eight a total of nine times. Frank won four Silver Sluggers, how many does Paulie have?

4. Frankly, until Paulie's career revival of the last two years, I've always thought that some of his best years (2004 & 2005) looked a lot like Frank Thomas' so called bad ones (1998, 2002, 2007). And even the stats from PK's "revival years" are subpar when considering Frank's good years, which were the bulk of his career.

Maybe you were joking. Maybe you weren't. But regardless, I don't care if Paulie helped us win a World Series. His career doesn't even begin to compare to the Big Hurt's.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad for not being clear. I'm all for a statue for Frank, and I'm not sayin I want one for Jermaine Dye, I just want the sox to step up and honor the guy now that he's officially retired. Wouldn't take much, and besides, didn't they already have a Frank Thomas love fest last year?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
My bad for not being clear. I'm all for a statue for Frank, and I'm not sayin I want one for Jermaine Dye, I just want the sox to step up and honor the guy now that he's officially retired. Wouldn't take much, and besides, didn't they already have a Frank Thomas love fest last year?

How so?

I'm all for honoring Dye, but not with a retired number (or statue that comes with said retired number). Maybe updating Champions Plaza, but that's all I can think of.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
How so?

I'm all for honoring Dye, but not with a retired number (or statue that comes with said retired number). Maybe updating Champions Plaza, but that's all I can think of.

Maybe something like they did with Fisk, that was nice. I agree, you don't retire his number. But that's not the only option. And besides, how many WS mvps have we had?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
Might as well put Scotty Pods out there while were at it....

he had two good seasons with the club. his 2006 and 2007 seasons were forgettable.

aj, konerko, and buerls have been the franchise faces for a long time. with konerko appraoching 400 hrs, and with a decent shot at 500(ina sox uniform, noless), and all of buehrle's accomplishments, it's a no-brainer to retire thier numbers and place eventual statues up in thier honor.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
he had two good seasons with the club. his 2006 and 2007 seasons were forgettable.

aj, konerko, and buerls have been the franchise faces for a long time. with konerko appraoching 400 hrs, and with a decent shot at 500(ina sox uniform, noless), and all of buehrle's accomplishments, it's a no-brainer to retire thier numbers and place eventual statues up in thier honor.

AJ really hasn't done much in the way of personal accomplishments though.

14 and 56 are clearly getting retired.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
I think eventually, AJ, Boner, and Buehrle will have retired #'s and statues.

AJ? Not a chance. Where did that come from?

Konerko and Buehrle, for sure. Maybe Ozzie if he doesn't burn too many bridges on his way out.

The Sox have retired too many numbers as it is. I like the idea of a team Hall of Fame for guys like Ventura and maybe Dye being the Series MVP (although Crede was clearly the best player), and reserve the retired numbers and statues for actual MLB Hall of Famers.

It's going to be a sad day when the Sox make a statue for that clown in the broadcast booth. And you know it will happen.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
AJ really hasn't done much in the way of personal accomplishments though.

14 and 56 are clearly getting retired.

Konerko especially. And I'll give the new poster a break since he didn't know I was kidding. I saw him type A.J. and was thinking "... the f*** is this?"

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
AJ? Not a chance. Where did that come from?

Konerko and Buehrle, for sure. Maybe Ozzie if he doesn't burn too many bridges on his way out.

The Sox have retired too many numbers as it is. I like the idea of a team Hall of Fame for guys like Ventura and maybe Dye being the Series MVP (although Crede was clearly the best player), and reserve the retired numbers and statues for actual MLB Hall of Famers.

It's going to be a sad day when the Sox make a statue for that clown in the broadcast booth. And you know it will happen.

You really think 14 and 56 shouldn't be retired? They are not going to be MLB hall of famers but they truly deserve to have their numbers retired by the team.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
You really think 14 and 56 shouldn't be retired? They are not going to be MLB hall of famers but they truly deserve to have their numbers retired by the team.

He said "Konerko and Buehrle for sure".

Konerko with out a doubt will get his number retired and a statue. Buehrle has a good shot especially if he signs like a 3 year extension and can get up over 200 wins. Dye was great and I a can see having some sort of "Jermaine Dye Appreciation Day", but absolutely no to a # retirement or statue. That would open the flood gates for AJ, Ventura, Raines, Maggs and a whole laundry list of players who had 5/6 good to great seasons with the Sox.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)

Yeah, for those guys.

At the time, the Baines retired number was kind of a joke---but that's just me.

I just roll my eyes when people suggest Ventura and Dye should have a retired number. They aren't even close to being worth that honor.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Yeah, for those guys.

At the time, the Baines retired number was kind of a joke---but that's just me.

I just roll my eyes when people suggest Ventura and Dye should have a retired number. They aren't even close to being worth that honor.

Agreed. If you let those guys get their numbers retired there wouldn't be any outfield wall space soon.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)

Especially not that number. Not in this city.

You want to retire #23 in Chicago you better have done something historic.