Frank Statue

lasttriptotulsa

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Konerko especially. And I'll give the new poster a break since he didn't know I was kidding. I saw him type A.J. and was thinking "... the f*** is this?"

He's not new. He just posts on (and stalks) a couple other sites more often.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Especially not that number. Not in this city.

You want to retire #23 in Chicago you better have done something historic.

ventura - one of the best sox 3b ever. and a member of the all-century team.

dye - world series mvp, put up good numbers in his five year span. yeah, teh 2nd half of 2009 sucked.

again, i would have them retired TOGETHER. how hard is that to comprehend?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

dye - world series mvp, put up good numbers in his five year span. yeah, teh 2nd half of 2009 sucked.

I think the joint idea would be pretty cool.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

So would retire #30 for Raines/Maggs. Or #8 for Belle/Bo Jackson/Tony PHilips? Maybe 45 for Jenks/El Caballo/Jordan. I mean if you combine players, you could have plenty of great retired numbers.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
So would retire #30 for Raines/Maggs. Or #8 for Belle/Bo Jackson/Tony PHilips? Maybe 45 for Jenks/El Caballo/Jordan. I mean if you combine players, you could have plenty of great retired numbers.

albert belle will never be honored by this team. in fact, brooks boyer made a joke about him at blog night

also, tony phillips? really? jordan? cmon....

one thing that has bubbled in this thread i agree totally...sox need an honest to goodness HOF again...and not just as the entry-way to teh gift shop.

it sickens me that you need to be a scout seat holder to see the former sox HOF items in any shape or form. and that STHs get one chance(grinder bash) to see the same items.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
albert belle will never be honored by this team. in fact, brooks boyer made a joke about him at blog night

also, tony phillips? really? jordan? cmon....

one thing that has bubbled in this thread i agree totally...sox need an honest to goodness HOF again...and not just as the entry-way to teh gift shop.

it sickens me that you need to be a scout seat holder to see the former sox HOF items in any shape or form. and that STHs get one chance(grinder bash) to see the same items.

I know Belle would never be honored. My point was if you combine players, you could make a hall of fame career out of almost any number. If 23 were ever retired, I would hope it would be for Robin and Robin alone.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

I don't think any of those guys had the impacts that Robin and Jermaine did. Not even close. Robin I believe could be retired by himself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I don't think any of those guys had the impacts that Robin and Jermaine did. Not even close. Robin I believe could be retired by himself.

I agree on Robin. I just don't think Dye should be a part of it. To have your number retired, you should have to be a borderline HOF.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
Ventura--decent career. Not close to being a hall of famer. Played about 8 full years with the Sox. Didn't win a championship.

Not worthy of a retired number. Not even close.

Terrible standard for this. By that logic the only retired numbers would be from the 2005 team. Ventura had 8 great years here, was a great hitter, and an even better defender. He was really the heart and soul of this team for his time here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
Terrible standard for this. By that logic the only retired numbers would be from the 2005 team. Ventura had 8 great years here, was a great hitter, and an even better defender. He was really the heart and soul of this team for his time here.

+1

For all of the well-deserved love that Crede gets here, Robin was better. I don't think that Ventura deserves a statue or anything, but he was probably the best 3B in franchise history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)

It's not everything, but it's part of the equation.

I think Buehrle and Konerko eventually getting that honor---being a big part of a World Series team is in the equation.

Ventura--heart and soul? I never really looked at him like that. Good hitter--not a "great" hitter. Great glove. Played 8 full years with the Sox.

Buehrle and Konerko played over a decade with the Sox. Accomplished great things, including a championship. They are far and away more deserving of a retired number over Ventura.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
Ventura--decent career. Not close to being a hall of famer. Played about 8 full years with the Sox. Didn't win a championship.

Not worthy of a retired number. Not even close.

In 8 years with the Sox, Ventura had a WAR of 38.8. In 14 years with the Sox, Baines had a WAR of 23.3. Ventura's career WAR is 55.5 which puts him right in line with many, many HOF'ers.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I agree on Robin. I just don't think Dye should be a part of it. To have your number retired, you should have to be a borderline HOF.

robin's not a hof'er. let's be honest. but he's a fan favorite. same as dye

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
I think eventually, AJ, Boner, and Buehrle will have retired #'s and statues.

I've never once heard this nickname, but I assume from context that it's Konerko? I hate when people insert their own nicknames into discussions so I have to go out of my way to figure out who they're referring to.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
AJ? Not a chance. Where did that come from?

Konerko and Buehrle, for sure. Maybe Ozzie if he doesn't burn too many bridges on his way out.

The Sox have retired too many numbers as it is. I like the idea of a team Hall of Fame for guys like Ventura and maybe Dye being the Series MVP (although Crede was clearly the best player), and reserve the retired numbers and statues for actual MLB Hall of Famers.

It's going to be a sad day when the Sox make a statue for that clown in the broadcast booth. And you know it will happen.

I will almost guarantee that Ozzie burns bridges on the way out. He's (or his ghost writer, Oney) going to drudge up personal clubhouse stuff, and I kind of hope he does so that others can mention his own personal problems.

And yes, it will suck that Hawk gets a statue.