Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
BABIP can fluctuate quite a bit from year to year. His K's are down and he's improved with his control (though his command sucks). His HR rate is WAYYYYYYYY down.

His FB% is also the lowest it's ever been. Overall he was a pretty good pitcher for us over the past season - especially after the first month

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From some Blue Jays blog:

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2011/07/what-...-get-colby.html

Zach Stewart: this is the one I fear that might come back to bite the Blue Jays. We saw a glimpse of what Zach Stewart could do at the big league level earlier this year, and he wasn't overwhelming ... but then again it was only three starts.

The Blue Jays may have lost a good arm in Zach Stewart, but with the pitching prospects as deep as they are within the farm system, they could afford to let Stewart go. The great thing is the Blue Jays have so many pitching prospects like Zach Stewart (Kyle Drabek, Henderson Alvarez, Chad Jenkins, Deck McGuire) that Zack Stewart was gravy for the Blue Jays.

Even though he did pitch in the majors this year, Zach Stewart is currently just a prospect. It's always a crapshoot with young guys, and even the most highly touted prospects don't always pan out. At best, Stewart was projected to be a #2 or #3 starter anyway.

We won't know for maybe 5-10 years whether Zach Stewart will come as advertised. Who knows, maybe he will become a solid starter for the White Sox, or perhaps he becomes something even better than that. Stewart's ceiling is high, but so are many other pitching prospects the Blue Jays have.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)

To be honest, I'm pumped about this trade. Get rid of the garbage/some big contracts . . . Get someone young and unproven in return. I'm definitely a bigtime prospect lover . . . I just love the unknown and (hopefully) giving them an opportunity to prove themselves with the major league squad.

And of course Frasor is a proven guy that they either hang onto or deal to a contender for more young guys.

QUOTE (kageman129 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
To be honest, I'm pumped about this trade. Get rid of the garbage/some big contracts . . . Get someone young and unproven in return. I'm definitely a bigtime prospect lover . . . I just love the unknown and (hopefully) giving them an opportunity to prove themselves with the major league squad.

And of course Frasor is a proven guy that they either hang onto or deal to a contender for more young guys.

I found it interesting that the Baseball America guy (Kevin Goldstein, I think was his name) they had on the score said Stewart will eventually be turned into a reliever, because his stuff is mediocre.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:33 AM)
Rasmus went 0/3 with 3 Ks. Jackson had a great outing.

Alex Anthopoulos got fleeced!!!

Its that AL pitching!! Not too late for AA to make a turn-around and trade him by sunday! :P

From the Post Dispatch after the trade...

Scouting Report on Edwin Jackson, the Cardinals new starting pitcher: I really don't think people realize how much Jackson improved during his time with the Chicago White Sox. Pitching coach Don Cooper made a positive impact. In 131 career starts before joining the White Sox, Jackson had a 4.68 ERA. In 30 starts with the White Sox, Jackson's ERA was 3.66. His strikeout rate went up. His ground-ball rate improved. His rate of baserunners per nine innings fell. His rate of allowing home runs decreased. His walk rate went down ... According to STATS, Jackson's fastball has averaged 94.5 mph this season. And his sharp slider averages 87 mph... Jackson had a 3.02 ERA in his last 8 starts for the White Sox ... against RH batters, Jackson almost exclusively throws the fastball and slider .... against LH batters, he mixes in a changeup ... his best swing-and-miss pitch is the slider; batters have whiffed on it 34.5 percent of the time... batters are hitting only .240 against the slider.... Jackson's ground-ball rate, which was stuck at around 50 percent in the middle of his career, has jumped to 63 percent this season.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ber...l#ixzz1TbxbgX1w

Wonder if Greg Walker has ever been referenced after a trade (of a White Sox hitter) in any positive way, shape or form?

Cue Dick Allen response, haha.

Maybe it will happen today, "Carlos Quentin, after joining the White Sox and working with Greg Walker starting in 2008...."

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)

Scouting Report on Edwin Jackson, the Cardinals new starting pitcher: I really don't think people realize how much Jackson improved during his time with the Chicago White Sox. Pitching coach Don Cooper made a positive impact. In 131 career starts before joining the White Sox, Jackson had a 4.68 ERA. In 30 starts with the White Sox, Jackson's ERA was 3.66. His strikeout rate went up. His ground-ball rate improved. His rate of baserunners per nine innings fell. His rate of allowing home runs decreased. His walk rate went down ... According to STATS, Jackson's fastball has averaged 94.5 mph this season. And his sharp slider averages 87 mph... Jackson had a 3.02 ERA in his last 8 starts for the White Sox ... against RH batters, Jackson almost exclusively throws the fastball and slider .... against LH batters, he mixes in a changeup ... his best swing-and-miss pitch is the slider; batters have whiffed on it 34.5 percent of the time... batters are hitting only .240 against the slider.... Jackson's ground-ball rate, which was stuck at around 50 percent in the middle of his career, has jumped to 63 percent this season.

But because he had a few bad outings and had a tendency to walk hitters, he was never appreciated here.

Ridiculous.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
But because he had a few bad outings and had a tendency to walk hitters, he was never appreciated here.

Ridiculous.

If only the writers knew that if you subtracted all the things he did poorly, he's the best pitcher in the majors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
I must have missed the hate for Jackson. Last few weeks, everyone on here has been saying he's one of the best pitchers on the market. Do we hate Kenny for trading cost-controlled Hudson for Jackson and his heavy salary...yes

I think at the end of that day it's always what have you done for me lately. Anyway you have to wonder about some of the trades as we don't have much to show for them anymore except a depleted minor league system

In the end, the only players we've ever traded away (while young) that would play a role on this roster are Gio, Hudson and Chris Young. Maybe Clayton Richard, would be in Ohman's role/long reliever and spot starter.

I guess Sweeney would have the advantage over Lillibridge for being LH off the bench/4th OF, but he can't play infield and he's less of a stolen base threat as well.

So those five guys, maybe 4.

Unless you want to count someone like Jon Rauch or Frank Francisco. Mike Morse, but nobody would undo the Garcia deal of 2004.

I guess you could argue Fautino DeLosSantos, too.

But would you take any of those RH relievers over Santos/Crain/Frasor? No. Over Bruney, sure, probably.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I must have missed the hate for Jackson. Last few weeks, everyone on here has been saying he's one of the best pitchers on the market. Do we hate Kenny for trading cost-controlled Hudson for Jackson and his heavy salary...yes

Read through his "appreciation" thread.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)

And he'll work wonders for Zach Stewart as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)

Ridiculous.

I don't think there was a lot of Edwin hate despite his annoying approach on the mound.

He was good. It just was a horrible trade to acquire him in the first place. And this trade to get rid of his salary before he hits free agency seems equally stupid.