detroit perspective on Jackson deal

prospectguy

QUOTE (prospectguy @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Probably going to move another starter. If they moved Danks, they could get a decent haul I would think.

I guess it would depend on who they get. Moving another starter puts them in the direction of a white flag. One of the starters can't get past the 70 pitch mark.

The Tigers need:

At least one stater....after Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello...Penny's more and more questionable and Coke was pulled from rotation

To decide how long they can stick with Ordonez as their #3 hitter

If Guillen can keep hitting, they're set for the rest of this season at 2B, although they're giving up something defensively.

LOTS OF BULLPEN help needed in front of the big guy.

I keep hearing he's (Frasor) a Type B free agent but Cot's has us with a club option for $3.75 in 2012 should we choose to exercise that option....which I would be shocked if KW didn't.

Edited by caulfield12

The only issue with the possibility of a type B free agent compensation pick is that some have speculated they will be done away with when the CBA expires this December. It doesn't make the deal a lot lot worse, but it's also not an added bonus if in fact comp picks are done away with.

Just something to keep in mind.

Mozeliak, who began taking offers for Rasmus last week, declined the Tampa Bay Rays’ late bid that included starting pitcher Jeff Niemann, lefthanded reliever J.P. Howell and a prospect for Rasmus. Mozeliak insisted that the Rays surrender one of two other starting pitchers, Jeremy Hellickson or James Shields.

"I guess it's a new start for me,” Rasmus said after slipping from the rear entrance of the Cardinals'’clubhouse Wednesday afternoon. “Everything I've known since I got drafted has been Cardinals. I liked the guys. But I guess it's time to move on. Other than that, I don't know if there's much left to say.”

Before departing, Rasmus hugged many of his former teammates then exchanged only a brief handshake with manager Tony La Russa, with whom Rasmus never shared a comfortable relationship.

Mozeliak described the trade as a “bold” way for the club to fortify itself for this season while also gaining flexibility for the near future.

The Cardinals immediately inserted Jackson into the starting rotation and transferred Kyle McClellan to a relief role. Rzepcynski, 25, may become the lone lefthanded reliever for now but is projected by some within the organization as a future starting pitcher. Dotel, 37, offers flexibility from the right side and carries a club option for 2012. If the Cardinals decline Dotel’s option, they would receive at least a supplemental round pick in next year’s amateur draft, or a first-round plus a supplemental pick if he graduates to a “Type A” free agent.

"This is a window to win. We feel like we do have some things coming back and draft picks to get in return. Today we feel like we’re a better team than we were yesterday,"” Mozeliak said.

“It’s definitely exciting. Like I’ve said, I’m said to see [Rasmus] leave because he’s one of my buddies,” Jay said. “But on the other side of it, we’re making moves to win this year and go on a run, which is huge.That’s what you want from your team.”

Jackson was the centerpiece of the deal as Mozeliak conceded the trade would not have been consummated had the White Sox not first dealt him to Toronto. The pending free agent managed a 7-7 record and 3.92 ERA for the White Sox but has been especially effective lately. Jackson is 3-1 with a 2.57 ERA in his last five starts. Jackson also threw a no-hitter last season and has worked more than 200 innings each of the last two years.

Said first baseman Albert Pujols: “Until we go out there and go three or four weeks from now, that’s when you’re going to see the results. Right now I assume we can be pretty good, but we’ve known that since spring training.”

With Rasmus (.246, 11 HR, 40 RBIs) fighting to reverse a two-month slump, La Russa made clear on several recent occasions that his enigmatic player was receiving instruction from “outside” sources code for Rasmus’ father rather than from hitting coaches Mark McGwire and Mike Aldrete.

Before starting to emerge from a protracted slump last Sunday, Rasmus had hit .181 with six home runs and 21 RBI in 177 at-bats since May 14. La Russa thought some of his adjustments “unorthodox.”

Club sources thought the simmering issue reached hard boil earlier this month when Tony Rasmus was discovered in the Busch Stadium clubhouse video room after working with his son in the indoor batting cages.

A number of coaches and teammates indicated they had exhausted their patience trying to reach Rasmus, who requested a trade on more than occasion last season.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/pr...l#ixzz1TMxDaBRN

Edited by caulfield12

What Alex Anthopoulos wants, Anthopoulos gets.

And now the Blue Jays’ 34-year-old general manager can add centre fielder Colby Rasmus to the list that also contains the names of Brett Lawrie, Brandon Morrow and Yunel Escobar.

The latter three were all Anthopoulos acquisitions, all young players who are controllable with great upside. They are thought to be key pieces of the Blue Jays puzzle and now a fourth and much needed centre fielder has been added.

Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and afternoon were hairy and frantic ones for Anthopoulos, who engineered the three-way trade that sent six players the Blue Jays way and six players packing, including starting pitcher Edwin Jackson who was acquired then traded again. But for the Blue Jays GM it was all about Rasmus and Rasmus alone.

The other players in the deal were of absolutely no concern, they were simply the parts that needed to be moved and acquired to land the grand prize — Rasmus.

In the end the deal boiled down to two players that the Jays deemed to be of worth — Zach Stewart and Marc Rzepczynski — for Rasmus.

It’s a deal that any GM would make and for Anthopoulos it took a lot of dogged determination and digging around.

Toronto Sun