Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't care about any year prior to this year. This is by far the best Red Sox team since '07. Until this team blows right past .500 and consistently scores at a 4.5-5.0 run a game clip, there's no business at even insinuating that they could run with Boston.

The only evidence we have to this fact is how the teams have played against each other, and the White Sox flat out dominated. Boston would be favored and rightfully so, but to say the White Sox have no shot is extreme.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
I don't care about any year prior to this year. This is by far the best Red Sox team since '07. Until this team blows right past .500 and consistently scores at a 4.5-5.0 run a game clip, there's no business at even insinuating that they could run with Boston.

For a season? Absolutely. But for a period of 5 games? There's absolutely no business even insinuating that they couldn't

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
That's nice. I still think we'd have no chance. One 3-game series in 4 months doesn't do a whole lot for me. Boston is 62-29 since that 2-10 start. And they still haven't gotten jack s*** from Carl Crawford yet.

When we beat them earlier in the year, they had just won 13 out of 15

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
The only evidence we have to this fact is how the teams have played against each other, and the White Sox flat out dominated. Boston would be favored and rightfully so, but to say the White Sox have no shot is extreme.

Not if you believe one team is clearly superior to the other. I don't believe any central team has a chance against Boston or NY. Yes, anything can happen. But going in, I don't think we'd have a shot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)

If Beckett, Buchholz, and Lester continue to have injury problems, they won't be nearly as bulletproof.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Not if you believe one team is clearly superior to the other. I don't believe any central team has a chance against Boston or NY. Yes, anything can happen. But going in, I don't think we'd have a shot.

If you don't try, there's no point in playing the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)

Jon Lester's career ERA vs. the Sox is 5.94, including a 7-run drubbing this season. Beckett is a stud. Then what? Buchholz may not even come back this season. Wakefield? Andrew Miller? They had won 13 of 16 before the White Sox swept them at Fenway.

The Red Sox are a very good team, but it's ridiculous to say that the White Sox don't have any chance to beat them in a 5-game series.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
For a season? Absolutely. But for a period of 5 games? There's absolutely no business even insinuating that they couldn't

The White Sox haven't been over .500 since April. Boston is playing at a damn near .700 clip since mid-April. Yes, it's painfully obvious that they would be massive underdogs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)

So you don't think anything could happen then?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Jon Lester's career ERA vs. the Sox is 5.94, including a 7-run drubbing this season. Beckett is a stud. Then what? Buchholz may not even come back this season. Wakefield? Andrew Miller? They had won 13 of 16 before the White Sox swept them at Fenway.

The Red Sox are a very good team, but it's ridiculous to say that the White Sox don't have any chance to beat them in a 5-game series.

How many starters do you need in a best of 5? Only 3. And I haven't heard anything about Buchholz not coming back.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)

With a rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, and Peavy, the Sox have a legit chance against anybody.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
So you don't think anything could happen then?

Well this isn't college football. I mean, as long as games are played, yes, technically anything can happen. By my estimation, the probability of this White Sox team beating this Red Sox team in October is less than 10%. And I think I'm being generous.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Well this isn't college football. I mean, as long as games are played, yes, technically anything can happen. By my estimation, the probability of this White Sox team beating this Red Sox team in October is less than 10%. And I think I'm being generous.

You're crazy. I'd say the Royals would have a 10% shot at beating them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)

Sports history is full of upsets where the chances were much lower.

If you don't try, there's no point in playing the game. When given the choice between manning up and trying and putting my tail between my legs in going home, I tend to favor trying.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
With a rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, and Peavy, the Sox have a legit chance against anybody.

Peavy? And let's not get crazy here. We're not talking Halladay, Hamels, Lee and Oswalt. Or the video game that was the Giants rotation last year. I think we have a solid rotation. But there's no stopper(s) in this rotation.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)

As great of a season as he's having, Buehrle is due for a setback. Who knows what he'll have left in October?

Danks-- yes, I think he'll finish strong.

Floyd-- crapshoot

Peavy-- kinda sucks

If you include Humber, he's never pitched this far into a major league season. Not counting on much.

This is another reason why I think the Sox should sell now. They've blown so many quality starts in the first half--now I think the rotation is due for some regression. Look, I just don't think this team is getting to 85 wins. Let the Tigers have it, and let them get bounced in 4 games.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)

Offensively we are inferior, but we have one of the best if not the best AL pitching staff at the moment and have had the best ERA for several months. It was the same case in 2005 FYI.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Sports history is full of upsets where the chances were much lower.

If you don't try, there's no point in playing the game. When give the choice between manning up and trying and putting my tail between my legs in going home, I tend to favor trying.

I didn't say forfeit the series were it to come to fruition. I'm just giving my opinion on what I think would happen without letting my White Sox fandom influence me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
As great of a season as he's having, Buehrle is due for a setback. Who knows what he'll have left in October?

Danks-- yes, I think he'll finsih strong.

Floyd-- crapshoot

Peavy-- kinda sucks

Mark is not due for a setback. He may have one, but he is not due. Mark has been one of baseball's best pitchers the last decade for a reason, and this year, he is getting ample rest. The rest I agree with you on, though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Peavy? And let's not get crazy here. We're not talking Halladay, Hamels, Lee and Oswalt. Or the video game that was the Giants rotation last year. I think we have a solid rotation. But there's no stopper(s) in this rotation.

You don't need a "stopper" to win a championship. You simply need effective pitching.

And, yes, I believe that Peavy can be an effective #4 in a 7-game series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Offensively we are inferior, but we have one of the best if not the best AL pitching staff at the moment and have had the best ERA for several months. It was the same case in 2005 FYI.

Biggest understatement ever. We have one of the worst offenses in baseball. At least in 2005 we were middle of the pack. I mean come on, it's a struggle to get 2 or 3 runs on most nights.