Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

•The Braves are almost certain to land an outfielder before the deadline, reports Rosenthal. He cites the names you have been hearing for a while: B.J. Upton, Michael Bourn, (CoCo Crisp), Ryan Ludwick, Carlos Quentin, and Josh Willingham.

•Bourn is on the Braves' radar, tweets Crasnick. Padres right fielder Ludwick is "more down the list of options."

The Braves apparently turned down dealing any of their top pitching prospects for Pence. Not sure if Beachy was offered. Their other top four appear to be 100% off the list of available prospects.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
It's amazing how one hitter can change how good a lineup looks:

Before

1. Rollins

2. Polanco

3. Utley

4. Howard

5. Victorino

6. Ibanez

7. Brown

8. Ruiz

After

1. Rollins

2. Victorino

3. Utley

4. Howard

5. Pence

6. Brown

7. Polanco

8. Ruiz

Having that good right handed hitter to break up the lefties means a lot.

We might have gotten half the haul Houston got for Quentin. Good for the Phillies though.

And I love how this thread turned into a tweenage girl discussion for half a page. xD

Ibanez is still in the line-up. Brown is going back to AAA.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
Take this FWIW - A poster on WSI claims his "good friend" is at a wedding with Sergio Santos' agent and Sergio just texted him (his agent): Quentin to Braves, Thornton to Phillies.

I dont even know what to say to this, I cant really imagine what the phillies would give us but it cant be anything significant and if the braves dont want anyone touching their top 4, and the next best is Beachy who has done great his past 2 starts.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this, then again s*** can get pretty crazy at weddings.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
Take this FWIW - A poster on WSI claims his "good friend" is at a wedding with Sergio Santos' agent and Sergio just texted him (his agent): Quentin to Braves, Thornton to Phillies.

Who the f*** gets married on a Friday? I call BS

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:00 AM)
I dont even know what to say to this, I cant really imagine what the phillies would give us but it cant be anything significant and if the braves dont want anyone touching their top 4, and the next best is Beachy who has done great his past 2 starts.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this, then again s*** can get pretty crazy at weddings.

I guess the Sox figure Sale can aptly replace Thornton the rest of this year and Viciedo can aptly replace CQ. Hope we get a good haul. These are 2 pretty good players. I guess if he gets a major haul it'd help set us up for the future. I hope KW doesn't get robbed blind.

I could see Thornton to Phillies, because that doesn't really hurt us much this season. But Quentin to the Braves? While I am for that (I think Viciedo will do fine as a replacement), I don't think Kenny is willing to take the risk that Viciedo DOES produce well, especially after this injury. This is the height of Quentin's value, but I don't think Kenny has the guts to do it.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

That's the other part of the Braves' situation that doesn't fit, if they really want a true CFer, obviously Quentin's out of that picture and you can more realistically talk Upton/Crisp/Bourn there instead.

The problem is that none of those guys are theoretically going to give you the power/RBI numbers and presence in the line-up that Quentin will, and the Rays will be asking for a small fortune in talent for Upton (based on potential, more than reality, just like Rasmus, although without the 3 years of arb. control)

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)

I can't even find a White Sox trade rumors forum on WSI let alone that post . Link ?

Up until late yesterday, the Astros were looking to get even more out of the Phillies, tweets Jayson Stark of ESPN.com. Houston insisted that the Phillies had to include two more of their top ten prospects, including 2010 first-round pick Jesse Biddle.

•Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. will continue to listen to other teams up until the trade deadline on Sunday, but he's likely done trading after landing Pence, writes Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

•Astros GM Ed Wade was still talking to other teams until ten minutes before he made the deal with the Phillies, tweets Bob Brookover of Philadelphia Inquirer.

•Keith Law of ESPN.com (Insider subscription required) believes that the Astros took a considerable risk in dealing Pence. While they received a ton of potential long-term value, the major prospects coming over in the trade are high-risk, high-reward prospects.

•Wade's decision to trade Pence certainly isn't a popular one but it is the right move for the organization, writes Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ent_id=22499032

•Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle writes that it could take two years or longer to fairly judge the return that the Astros got for Pence.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/0...ise-im-unmoved/

•Phillies officials have questioned Cosart's maturity in the past, according to John Manuel and Matt Eddy of Baseball America. Furthermore, the right-hander's command issues led others in the organization to believe he was destined wind up in the bullpen. However, Cosart had the best pure arm in the Phillies' system.

Edited by caulfield12

I’m happy for Hunter Pence, who will have his first taste of a pennant race. To go from a dumb franchise and an empty ballpark to a very, very good manager and a very, very full ballpark, to an atmosphere as intense as any in baseball, is a really good thing for him.

He thinks major league baseball is a great way to make a living, but he’s about to find out how great it can be. When a team is in a pennant race, players count down the hours until the game. At some point, it starts to feel like an entire season is riding on every pitch.

Pence will love the Phillies because they play the game with some of the same edge and anger he brings to the ballpark. When I described Hunter to a Philly guy on Friday, he said, “Sounds exactly like Chase Utley.”

Hunter leaves a nice legacy around here. He was a Texas kid who made it to the big leagues with grit and hard work and desire. The Astros haven’t had many players outwork Hunter. Last season when he got off to a bad start, he later said, “I read a book about relaxation, but I found it wasn’t for me. I’ve got to play angry and swing hard.”

In his first days in the big leagues, he made veterans laugh with his enthusiasm and the seriousness with which he approached the job. Remember him diving for a lob warmup toss between innings? That moment spoke volumes about Hunter.

SOUNDS LIKE THE ANTITHESIS OF ALEX RIOS.

Richard Justice/Houston Chronicle-sports

I remember KW's earlier comments about bringing in "Chicago tough" players into the system and what happened with that philosophy??....seems like it got thrown out the window somewhere along the way with Rios/Dunn/Teahen. Peavy's the only one that fits that supposed mold.

Edited by caulfield12

Actually feel very good coming into this Yankees series.

It's the Twins/Orioles on the road after that which is more worrisome.

At least Haren's going for the Angels against Below for the Tigers (Saturday afternoon), so (worst case) we can at least tread water for one day.

All the Yankees' match-ups are very winnable except for Peavy versus Sabathia on Monday.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't follow the Braves, however it looks like they could use help in both CF and one of the corner OF spots.

Why not trade them Quentin, and Rios, for some really decent young pitching and one position prospect?

If they want Quentin, they have to take Rios, who might even flourish in the N. L.

At least he could be as good Coco Crisp, with a lot more upside.

I'd hate to lose TCQ, but if it meant unloading Rios, it might be worth it.

Maybe we could then use the money saved by shedding the Rios contract to buy Carlos back when he becomes a free agent.

In the meantime, the outfield for 2012 would be Milledge, de Aza and Viciedo, with de Aza leading off. That is unless they acquire someone else.

I could live with that. Anything would be better than watching Rios, with his lazy play and unorthodox mechanics at the plate.

God, watching that stance at the plate is just maddening!!

Edited by Lillian