Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
I'm glad he wants some young starting pitching, but I want young position players too. We lack that just as much..

Especially with Stewart, we actually have a fairly deep set of starting pitchers, assuming we move Sale there. It's position players where we're much weaker.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm glad he wants some young starting pitching, but I want young position players too. We lack that just as much..

True, but if you really look at the big team, you have the entire IF and most of the OF tied up for the next few years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
True, but if you really look at the big team, you have the entire IF and most of the OF tied up for the next few years.

The OF is only tied up by guys like Milledge and De Aza though, and Morel at 3b isn't "Tying it up" while on the bench. And then there's Beckham. And AJ.

Tied up with players....but tied up with GOOD players all around? That's debatable. (Sans Konerko)

The Sox obviously don't know how to develop young players, so it's up to stealing away guys from other teams and hoping Greg Walker doesn't rape their swings instantly....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
The OF is only tied up by guys like Milledge and De Aza though, and Morel at 3b isn't "Tying it up" while on the bench. And then there's Beckham. And AJ.

Well, Rios and Viciedo.

Morel, Alexei, Beckham, Konerko.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Well, Rios and Viciedo.

Morel, Alexei, Beckham, Konerko.

Rios...if we had someone good enough to push him to the bench right now, he'd go there. Wer'e going to see a platoon soon.

Gordon Beckham is starting to look like he'll get 1 year of arbitration and then become a non-tender candidate.

Morel needs to pick it up.

Alexei...expensive, locked in, possibly moveable in a true fire sale.

Konerko, 2.5 years.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Jayson Stark is saying that the Phillies offered up Jared Cosart, Jonathan Singleton, and another mid tier pitching prospect for Hunter Pence. Quentin is cheaper and has been more productive this year than Pence, but is worse defensively, but I would think a similar package could be had for CQ. Giving the Sox a solid bat in the system to replace PK and a starter for 2013.

Well, Pence has more value than Quentin.

On the other hand, that package wasn't good enough to get Pence, so perhaps it is for Quentin.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
mlbtr is reporting that some think Pence is off the market. With Beltran moved, does this make Q the best available bat? Time to go farm-raping.

Q is the best power bat out there. Philly and Atl are in on him at the moment.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Jayson Stark is saying that the Phillies offered up Jared Cosart, Jonathan Singleton, and another mid tier pitching prospect for Hunter Pence. Quentin is cheaper and has been more productive this year than Pence, but is worse defensively, but I would think a similar package could be had for CQ. Giving the Sox a solid bat in the system to replace PK and a starter for 2013.

I hope we don't trade CQ. One of our better players but I have seen some bad moves over the course of the last few years

San Francisco just gave up Wheeler for a pure rental of Beltran, his contract states he cannot be offered arbitration. Seems like the price is going up. With Philly and ATL being the two teams most in need of a RH bat, and being divisional rivals, I think you could play that up to a pretty nice return for your All Star.