Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
Next

As in... you're done with the restroom and now others can come in to dunk the douce?

Edit: I will have no life until Sunday at 3PM EST.

Well, aside from going to see Rage Against the Machine rock the house full of 100,000 people on Saturday.

muhahahaah

Edited by hi8is

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Dude, De Aza had a f***ing .876 OPS in AAA, Josh Fields was a AAA stud.

1. SOME, BUT NOT ALL (OBVIOUSLY) Prospects bust. That's why they're called prospects, and not major leaguers.

2. I never said Viciedo will bust. I said he could bust.

Next

First of all, FIXED. "Next" would hopefully result in you cease and desisting on constantly being so negative around here. Geesh! Viciedo and De Aza appear to be living up to their potential by lighting it up there down in Charlotte this year, and ALL you can talk about is the possibility of each of them being a bust up here at the Major League level. Not the probability of either of them bringing forward their progress - nooooo, you would never think to talk about that - but simply the possibility of them "busting" out. Thanks so much for the shot of positive thought there, as usual. Glass is always 1/4 full with you, isn't it! Lol! (I would be remiss if I didn't add that signature and gratuitous phrase of yours!)

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
I don't see how they can trade TCQ at this point. They're 3.5 games back. They just won 4 out of 6 against the division leader.

It's definitely tougher to move Quentin because he and Konerko have supplied most of the power numbers for the offense. Viceido is still a risk, and there's the potential for a significant drop-off. Still, if Williams believes that it's unlikely they will keep Quentin beyond this season, and he can get a team desperate for offense, it's got to be tough to pass on acquiring a prospect who will come cheap for the next several seasons and gives the team a bit of financial flexiblitiy.

I don't see how they can trade TCQ at this point. They're 3.5 games back. They just won 4 out of 6 against the division leader.

Or lost 15 of their last 21 against DET.

Depends on how you look at it.

If you do take the 8 losses in a row (2010-11) out, then 6-7 or 4-2 does sound a lot better, right?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
It's definitely tougher to move Quentin because he and Konerko have supplied most of the power numbers for the offense. Viceido is still a risk, and there's the potential for a significant drop-off. Still, if Williams believes that it's unlikely they will keep Quentin beyond this season, and he can get a team desperate for offense, it's got to be tough to pass on acquiring a prospect who will come cheap for the next several seasons and gives the team a bit of financial flexiblitiy.

Yeah, only KW seems to be privy to the "predicted" 2012 budget and whether we can afford to keep Viciedo and Quentin together.

Quentin will cost $7.5-9.0 million, arguably.

We just shed Quentin's price tag by jettisoning Jackson/Teahen (and eventually Pena/Vizquel), but then we've got all those contracts like AJ's that go way up next year.

And they're still below .500. That's what's so infuriating about this team and just about every Sox team of the last 5 years. They're never bad enough in which you can just punt the season. Yet they're never good enough that you can legitimately place them in the upper echelon of contenders. Always somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
First of all, FIXED. "Next" would hopefully result in you cease and desisting on constantly being so negative around here. Geesh! Viciedo and De Aza appear to be living up to their potential by lighting it up there down in Charlotte this year, and ALL you can talk about is the possibility of each of them being a bust up here at the Major League level. Not the probability of either of them bringing forward their progress - nooooo, you would never think to talk about that - but simply the possibility of them "busting" out. Thanks so much for the shot of positive thought there, as usual. Glass is always 1/4 full with you, isn't it! Lol! (I would be remiss if I didn't add that signature and gratuitous phrase of yours!)

Nope, just tired of all the overzealous rage around these boards when we dont call up, or trade for a f***ing PROSPECT. some of the people around here, I think their worlds would come crumbling down around them if Viciedo came up and ended up no better than Juan Uribe, without the defense

I love prospects, but I love proven major leaguers a hell of a lot more. But you can continue thinking I'm only here to dismiss our minor leaguers as nobodies with no future

Please keep missing the point I'm making, because that's the only way you can continue with these ridiculous f***ing responses to my posts

Trade CQ? ha, there were posters saying Rasmus should be taking Quentins spot ! Like that's somehow making us better

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Nope, just tired of all the overzealous rage around these boards when we dont call up, or trade for a f***ing PROSPECT. some of the people around here, I think their worlds would come crumbling down around them if Viciedo came up and ended up no better than Juan Uribe, without the defense

I love prospects, but I love proven major leaguers a hell of a lot more. But you can continue thinking I'm only here to dismiss our minor leaguers as nobodies with no future

Please keep missing the point I'm making, because that's the only way you can continue with these ridiculous f***ing responses to my posts

Now why on earth would I think you were here to do just that! :unsure:

@BNightengale

Bob Nightengale

#mlb The #Phillies loved what they saw scouting #White Sox OF Carlos Quentin 3 days in Chicago, but Sox remain in race, plan to keep him

26 seconds ago via web

Regardless of whether or not we're actually interested in trading him right this second, this is frantastic news.

KW has all the control right now with a CQ deal

1. Team is in contention, Sox need to be wowed

2. Phillies and Braves could get into bidding war

3. CQ has been hitting well since the break, potentially increasing his value

How desperate are the Phillies, that's the question

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
KW has all the control right now with a CQ deal

1. Team is in contention, Sox need to be wowed

2. Phillies and Braves could get into bidding war

3. CQ has been hitting well since the break, potentially increasing his value

How desperate are the Phillies, that's the question

Lets just pray that Quentin doesn't get injured. All I'm worried about at this point.

KW isn't going to get Domonic Brown in all likelihood (unless Thornton's part of the trade)...but the "get" for Pence should be pretty similar to the asking price for Hunter Pence, who will be a bit more expensive than CQ these next 1 1/3rd seasons.

Pence is the most recognizable Astro left (not counting Carlos Lee, who they're stuck with obviously)....whereas KW has more leeway to trade Quentin.

ESPN.com reported yesterday that it believed the Phillies "had a deal" for Astros outfielder Hunter Pence, but that Houston had "backed off." Reportedly the Phils had been willing to part with righthander Jarred Cosart and first baseman Jonathan Singleton, both at Class A Clearwater, and a lesser pitching prospect.

It's hard to decipher exactly what that means. It could mean the Astros, upon further review, simply decided that they needed more. That would suggest the deal remains a possibility if the Phillies are willing to sweeten the pot. Or it could mean that the team with the worst record in baseball, in the throes of an ownership change, is scared that nobody will show up next season if it moves one of its most popular players.

So the internal tug of war continues in the executive offices at Citizens Bank Park. And it will only intensify after a 2-1 loss to the Giants last night in which the Phillies were held to an unearned run on four hits in the only pitching matchup of this series - Cole Hamels vs. Matt Cain - that could come close to being replicated in the postseason if these teams meet again.

Should the Phillies dangle even more young talent to obtain Pence, or somebody very much like him?

If so, are there any players who should be declared off-limits?

The opinions here, from left to right: yes and no.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/philli...9#ixzz1TOoYiQA8

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

They've played 103 games.

They're under .500 at home

They're under .500 vs the division

They haven't had a 5 game winning streak all year

They have Boston and New York coming to town, followed by road series in Minnesota and Baltimore---which have historically been hard places to win for the Sox.

So, if they keep Quentin, they better find a way to win the division. Effort doesn't count. Only results count.

My fear is they stand pat, then go 5-9 the next 14 games and wish they would have done more at the deadline.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
What players are we currently looking at with the Phillies?

Obviously, Dominic Brown's the name always mentioned, but is there anyone else in play as a possibility?

More "major league ready" prospects under club control for 6 years?

The Phils have 3 SP's in A+ ball who are their top 5-6 prospects. May, Colvin and Cosart; The lefty hitter Singleton also would look good-he's playing LF but is more of a 1b man. Supposedly, after their top 5-6 the talent is a big drop off.

If they can get a similar package to what the Phillies are SUPPOSEDLY offering the Astros for Pence, go for it.

The best case scenario would be to trade Quentin/Thornton for Domonic Brown.

I think all White Sox fans who are still reluctant to support this team would at least hopefully get behind the idea of building a team that can compete for 2-3-4 years rather than just in 2012.

They've reached a crossroads with the roster and unfortunately it's going to be next to impossible to get rid of AJ, Rios, Konerko, Dunn and Peavy. What is it, we have something like $73 million committed to 8 players already for next season?

Edited by caulfield12

Jim Salisbury from CSN Philly

"The Phils have been aggressive in pursuing Pence and there are indications that they would be willing to include outfielder Domonic Brown in a package for him."

The operative word there being package. This means that Brown is not off the table in any CQ trade, and package of CQ and Crain could really bring back a lot of talent.

To me it seems like Quentin could still be somewhat of a bargain if he was making $7 to $9 million next year (as someone speculated). I realize the Sox may be slowly slashing payroll, but I'm not a huge fan of getting rid of Quentin to do so. It's too bad Rios' contract is so bad.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
To me it seems like Quentin could still be somewhat of a bargain if he was making $7 to $9 million next year (as someone speculated). I realize the Sox may be slowly slashing payroll, but I'm not a huge fan of getting rid of Quentin to do so. It's too bad Rios' contract is so bad.

Quentin's not unusually expensive next season, but he's also a FA at the end of the year. He's worth more than 2 draft picks in a trade.

For some reason, I think there's a decent chance a Quentin/Brown deal gets done. I'm sure other pieces would have to be involved, but the Sox are in a great spot with Quentin. Remember, any team that trades for him will likely get type A/B after the 2012 season, so those picks need to be factored into his price.