Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
BREAKING NEWS

SI_JonHeyman confirmed pence goes to philly for singleton, cosart, 2 PTBNL.

so now Quentin left to Atlanta I guess?

or Ludwick and we're f***ed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
or Ludwick and we're f***ed.

They might be more comfortable since Ludwick's already more familiar with the NL and they're determined not to give up any of their top pitching prospects.

Ludwick wouldn't even cost them Beachy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
How badly do we need Beachy with Stewart already in the fold?

Does this mean they still go ahead and deal Floyd or Danks and go with two unproven pitchers at the back of the 2012 rotation (Beachy/Stewart/Sale).

If beachy is available, yeah you look to more seriously move Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
They might be more comfortable since Ludwick's already more familiar with the NL and they're determined not to give up any of their top pitching prospects.

Ludwick wouldn't even cost them Beachy.

But he also wouldn't improve their offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
But he also wouldn't improve their offense.

Maybe they're just going for the "slight" improvement and they're now confident enough in getting to the playoffs they're just counting on some of their struggling position players getting hot at the right time. (Like we've been doing for 4 months).

Maybe...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
This, my friends, is why I "overrate" prospects. In the last three years the Phillies have acquired Lee, Oswalt, Halladay and now Pence. And they still get to keep Brown.

And we get to see most of the Phillies system playing for the Blue Jays and Astros.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
This, my friends, is why I "overrate" prospects. In the last three years the Phillies have acquired Lee, Oswalt, Halladay and now Pence. And they still get to keep Brown.

How awesome would Cabrera look on our team. We however didn't have the horses to make the deal.

Successful teams use minor league talent to replenish their ranks with cost controlled players to go with more expensive vets. They also use the minors as trading chits.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
How awesome would Cabrera look on our team. We however didn't have the horses to make the deal.

Successful teams use minor league talent to replenish their ranks with cost controlled players to go with more expensive vets. They also use the minors as trading chits.

Would you rather be spending $21 mil a year on Cabrera or $12 million on Konerko?

And be honest, if we'd traded for Cabrera, we had no room to extend him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)

That's because they develop a lot of prospects.

If we did that, we could cull a few out to other teams, instead of trading the only/best ones we have.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
I don't get this deal at all for the Astros. Congrats to the phillies for getting a great ball player without having to give up any MLB ready talent.

I think we read that same phrase last year didn't we?